Terrelle Pryor and Dion Bailey workouts reported

Jville

Reaction score
Terrelle Pryor Link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000399133/article/report-terrelle-pryor-works-out-for-buccaneers[/urltargetblank]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre/status/514166024447746048[/tweet]

HawkWow

Reaction score
What's up with those Bucs? Glennon is more than serviceable. What they need is a vet to mentor him..not another project.

TJack and our 2nd for ASJ. Let's get it done.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
HawkWow":eb2zv4kp said:
What's up with those Bucs? Glennon is more than serviceable. What they need is a vet to mentor him..not another project.

Meh, that whole "mentoring" aspect of a veteran backup is overblown IMO. That's what a quarterback's coach is for. Russell didn't have a "mentor" his rookie season and was fine. Same for RGIII and now Kirk Cousins. Nick Foles has been great, and I seriously doubt that Mike Vick's studious insights had anything to do with that.

A backup QB's job is to not lose games when the starter goes down. That's it. If you hire a backup just to because you feel like your current QB needs a mentor, get a better QB coach while your at it.

The only exception I could see is if your current QB is a Johnny Manziel type and you want him to learn firsthand professionalism and leadership in the locker-room. Glennon does not strike me as that type.

HawkWow

Reaction score
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I disagree. A QB coach is to educate and fine tune a players game. Favre , at the top of his game, hired Dilfer to coach him. He didn't hire Dilfer to mentor him.

I never said the Bucs should bring in TJack as a "back up QB". He could start now, while mentoring Glennon.

Vick definitely mentored Foles and helped his transition. That's well documented. Because Vick was a dog fighter doesn't mean he can't help educate a young QB entering the pros.

Willson had TJack...whether needed or not.

RG3...you're kidding right? If ever there was a player that needed mentoring and guidance, like Manziel, it was the big headed Robert Griffin.

I will give you Cousins but for every Cousins there's been 100 young QBs that had a vet to emulate.

BTW..what's this "meh" stuff, anyway? I'm not part of that whole emo culture thing so excuse my ignorance.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawkWow":1ymxi2cb said:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I disagree. A QB coach is to educate and fine tune a players game. Favre , at the top of his game, hired Dilfer to coach him. He didn't hire Dilfer to mentor him.

I never said the Bucs should bring in TJack as a "back up QB". He could start now, while mentoring Glennon.

Vick definitely mentored Foles and helped his transition. That's well documented. Because Vick was a dog fighter doesn't mean he can't help educate a young QB entering the pros.

RG3...you're kidding right? If ever there was a player that needed mentoring and guidance, like Manziel, it was the big headed Robert Griffin.

I will give you Cousins but for every Cousins there's been 100 young QBs that had a vet to emulate.

BTW..what's this "meh" stuff, anyway? I'm not part of that whole emo culture thing so excuse my ignorance.

TJack was not with Seahawks during Russell Wilson's rookie year. He came back last season. But it was Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson in RW's rookie year. That year TJack went to the Bills. Russell is not the type that needed a mentor. He is more mature than most veteran QBs in his knowledge of the game, schemes, etc. With that said, he's more of the exception rather than the norm.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Lovie Smith is an idiot. They were winning games last year with Glennon. He looked like he was coming along ok to me.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawkfan68":38vqydrr said:
HawkWow":38vqydrr said:

TJack was not with Seahawks during Russell Wilson's rookie year. He came back last season. But it was Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson in RW's rookie year. That year TJack went to the Bills. Russell is not the type that needed a mentor. He is more mature than most veteran QBs in his knowledge of the game, schemes, etc. With that said, he's more of the exception rather than the norm.

I stand corrected. And totally agree with your perception of Wilson. His dad apparently did all the mentoring he needed. Wish he could see him now.

Flynn definitely did no mentoring, I don't recall even seeing the two together for more than a nod and a quick pat on the butt. I didn't get the impression it was a friendly competition between the two, but I could be wrong on that, as well.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1r110wg7 said:
Lovie Smith is an idiot. They were winning games last year with Glennon. He looked like he was coming along ok to me.

I thought when they jettisoned Freeman, it was the FOs way of telling Glennon, the job is yours, don't bother looking over your shoulder. They're damn lucky they have a SB. Could be their last.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1tfc7dz2 said:
HawkWow":1tfc7dz2 said:

Thinking about this more...I thought all 3 were in camp together..then we traded TJack to the Bills just before the start of the year. No?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawkWow":3l9yyabh said:
hawkfan68":3l9yyabh said:
HawkWow":3l9yyabh said:

Thinking about this more...I thought all 3 were in camp together..then we traded TJack to the Bills just before the start of the year. No?

IIRC, that is what happened. They traded TJack after the 3 preseason game that year. Maybe the Seahawk QB coach Carl Smith deserves credit for his work with Russell. He's been here during Russell's tenure so far so some of Russell's growth could be because of him. Russell gets the most credit. He's shown a willingness to improve not only each game but each play. The intrinsic motivation he has is something that can't be learned. It's something that is already there. The top stars usually have that. Michael Jordan had it. The cool thing about Russell is that he still can get better. He knows it and is willing to put in the work to achieve it.

Back to the topic of the thread, Dion Bailey may get his chance. The Bears secondary are keeping medical clinics open. They are dropping like flies.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jackson trade was announced August 26. Two days after Chiefs preseason game and the same day Wilson was named starter. It was a sunny Sunday in California that day.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3q8125c1 said:
HawkWow":3q8125c1 said:

Meh, that whole "mentoring" aspect of a veteran backup is overblown IMO. That's what a quarterback's coach is for. Russell didn't have a "mentor" his rookie season and was fine. Same for RGIII and now Kirk Cousins. Nick Foles has been great, and I seriously doubt that Mike Vick's studious insights had anything to do with that.

A backup QB's job is to not lose games when the starter goes down. That's it. If you hire a backup just to because you feel like your current QB needs a mentor, get a better QB coach while your at it.

The only exception I could see is if your current QB is a Johnny Manziel type and you want him to learn firsthand professionalism and leadership in the locker-room. Glennon does not strike me as that type.
Wilson had Warren Moon as a mentor.