Top 10 Arms In The NFL (per Chris Wesseling)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'd have posted this in the main forum, but guess what? No Russ, not even an honorable mention. Haven't got any arguments with the Top 5 if we're going on strength.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ngest-arms

As someone's mentioned, Russ had the 5th fastest recorded throw in combine history and should have at least been mentioned, especially with Brady? I mean, has a strong arm ever really been a real strength of his?

In the case of the top 3, the list might as well be 'Quickest interception throwers'.

uncle fester

Reaction score
JaMarcus Russell had - allegedly - the strongest arm of any QB in the last thirty years.

The Super Bowl was contested by two guys that didn't make this list.

The top guy on this list has played in one playoff game.

That should tell you all you need to know about the importance of arm strength as a standalone method to rank QBs.

kearly

Reaction score
Long: Flacco or Luck
Intermediate: Kaepernick
Short: Rodgers, Rivers, Wilson, etc.

Different QBs show arm strength in different ways or in different categories. Putting "arm" into a catchall category is bound to be subjective to the point of being totally meaningless, because you have no idea how much the rater values deep vs. intermediate vs. short.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I didn't expect him to be top 10, but I was kind of surprised Wilson wasn't an honorable mention.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly...I think this argument is totally biased. Not by you guys...but the media in general.

If you are talking about pure throw the ball through a wall arm strength, I have trouble seeing anyone having a bigger arm than Kap.

You don't often have to do that though on a football field. Other QBs you could say have a "better arm" in terms of accuracy, timing, etc.

So...I guess my question is how do you define "arm strength". Velocity? Accuracy? Distance?

I mean few QBs throw the rainbow as pretty as Wilson does. Does that make him a contender? If you don't really define the argument you are comparing apples and oranges.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":1xrb1sle said:
So...I guess my question is how do you define "arm strength". Velocity? Accuracy? Distance?.

From reading that article sounds like it's all of the above.

Kaepernick can throw the ball through a brick wall, but his accuracy is lacking on those type of throws........so IMO that's why he's down the list.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd love to see a Pro Bowl QB contest where they have guys chuck frisbees as hard as they can down the field on random trajectories and the QB that hits the most at the longest average distance wins. Combination of accuracy and arm strength since distance matters there, too.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":nrg65m6j said:
Marvin49":nrg65m6j said:
So...I guess my question is how do you define "arm strength". Velocity? Accuracy? Distance?.

Kaepernick can throw the ball through a brick wall, but his accuracy is lacking on those type of throws........so IMO that's why he's down the list.

My point exactly. :) They don't really define the argument very well so its really an arbitrary listing. Its more of a "guys that have a big arm who I like" list than any sort of ranking.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":1ueou1kt said:
Long: Flacco or Luck
Intermediate: Kaepernick
Short: Rodgers, Rivers, Wilson, etc.

Different QBs show arm strength in different ways or in different categories. Putting "arm" into a catchall category is bound to be subjective to the point of being totally meaningless, because you have no idea how much the rater values deep vs. intermediate vs. short.

are you saying that Flacco and Luck have a better deep ball than Wilson? Or just can throw it farther?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I hate the term "arm strength" so much when referring to throwing power. It's such a terrible misnomer.

These guys aren't elite at throwing a football with high velocity because their arms are strong; some of them have pretty weak arms. They are able to generate power (which is not strength) with their whole body starting with the kinetic chain in their legs through their hips and transfer it into their arm with great mechanics. Put one of these guys in a chair, make them hold their legs up, keep their torso neutral, and see how much "arm strength" they have then.

themunn

Reaction score
russell's on the run throw to Rice for a TD against Arizona last year should be required viewing for the writer of this list

Smellyman

Reaction score
Two of my favorites. I think the throw in NFCC game is one of the most impressive. 60 yard throw sprinting to his left, stopping while getting drilled.

russell.gif

wilson-rice.gif

Smellyman

Reaction score
arm strength arguments are silly, but II will say this though. Most people assume RW doesn't have as big as arm as the big guys because of his height and so they never consider him. BUT, He has the wingspan of a 6'4 dude and the hands of a freak of nature.

He throws a GREAT deep ball and throws fantastic fast balls (see laser beam to Lockette super bowl and laser to Walter last week).

deep ball best in league. http://regressing.deadspin.com/charts-who-are-the-best-deep-passers-in-the-nfl-1469917039

sexy
http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2013/03/04/russell-wilson-and-the-nfls-sexydeepball-throwers/

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
These look like some of the league's strongest arms to me. :thirishdrinkers:

turbin2.jpeg

If I'm ever trapped underneath a burning car, I really hope Robert Turbin is somewhere nearby...

NINEster

Reaction score
Smellyman":2wgnrk5i said:
arm strength arguments are silly, but II will say this though. Most people assume RW doesn't have as big as arm as the big guys because of his height and so they never consider him. BUT, He has the wingspan of a 6'4 dude and the hands of a freak of nature.

He throws a GREAT deep ball and throws fantastic fast balls (see laser beam to Lockette super bowl and laser to Walter last week).

deep ball best in league. http://regressing.deadspin.com/charts-who-are-the-best-deep-passers-in-the-nfl-1469917039

sexy
http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2013/03/04/russell-wilson-and-the-nfls-sexydeepball-throwers/

Looking at that deadspin article, some have pointed out that the mobility of Wilson and Kaepernick might skew things given their ability to scramble. They are both very accurate, but have a little help.

Interesting about Alex Smith...31st in deep ball attempts, #9 in accuracy, #12 in deep ball YPA -- and he rarely throws it deep on the move.

Stats are always very interesting.

BTW, about rifle arms.....it's rarely talked about that Cutler has a sick arm.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":84x3gipj said:
Marvin49":84x3gipj said:

Man, you guys think Wilson is better than Kaepernick in every way imaginable.

And probably all other 31 QBs.

So frustrating it must be when he's never #1 on any lists.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NINEster":1clipz1l said:
Sgt. Largent":1clipz1l said:
Marvin49":1clipz1l said:

Not really given arm strength is like total yards made or given up and not a true indicator of success. Being elite means being able to make plays under pressure at the end of games with the defense knowing exactly what is coming yet not able to stop it. It isn't throwing 3 ints that put your team 20 points behind and racking up 4 td's and 400 yards while still losing right at the end.

Aikman never had numbers but he won and everybody knew what was coming same with Montana but he did have better numbers not crazy ones but still good.

That list is filled with guys with rocket arms and 10 cent heads except for Bortles because he's a rookie and who knows what he really is yet or Rodgers, Rothleisburger, Newton.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NINEster":1qxu7imh said:
Sgt. Largent":1qxu7imh said:
Marvin49":1qxu7imh said:

Wow, didn't expect this kind of response to what I thought was a rational logical post by myself.

IMO the reason Russell's not on this list is because he doesn't have a big enough body of work with what the article writer used for his study........which is a large sample size of intermediate to long throws.

But since you're already hating on Russell, he's probably got the most underrated arm in the league when it comes to strength and accuracy.........and he throws a beautiful deep ball. Unlike Kaepernick who after 15 yards likes to throw copious amounts of picks and overthrows.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Aikman, Montana numbers your referencing came a lot on RAC, they didn't have to throw long a lot, the receivers got the yds after the catch many times which adds to the QB's totals but doesn't make them throw lower percentage passes. Irvin was the long threat but he got a lot of outs and hooks as well, then TE's made things easy for Aikman. Montana having his receiving group and TE also had to just make sure the ball got there with space for the receivers to work as well. The key was seeing the right receiver and situation which both were very good at, also Steve Young fits this catagory as well.

Sac

Reaction score
NINEster":1eokwufp said:

Because it's true. You know it's true, too. You can admit it.