49ers still worthy rivals?

Xarbx425

Reaction score
So assuming (key word assuming) the 49ers just completely drop the ball this year and harbs leaves - would the 49er/Seahawk rivalry still be as fierce? I was speaking with a dejected 49er fan and my friend said to me "So... Did you let him have it??" And I replied "No... He let himself have it". Literally he did all the bashing himself. I thought to myself "wow i ALMOST feel bad for 49ers fans".

Thoughts?

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
They were 1-2 starting last year too. I wouldn't write them off too soon.

That being said, if they continue losing, I can see the cracks in the locker room starting to form soon. Wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh's antics finally catch up with him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":p9403pdi said:
It's a bit early to even be contemplating this, IMO.

Yep.

1-2 does not a season make, not even close. The Niners have the talent (and are only going to get healthier) to turn it around. IMO they're not as strong as they were a couple years ago, but I wouldn't throw dirt on their graves just yet.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Nope.

They suck. Maybe Seahawks hardly even prepare for them because they are so bad.

:D

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I'm crossing my fingers that they spiral out of control as these early season losses mount.

1-2 could easily become 1-3 if the Eagles start stronger than they have.

Here is the rest of their schedule until Aldon returns:

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

I see at least two more losses in that five. I predicted before the season that they would be 5-4 after the first nine games.

kearly

Reaction score
Everything about the 49ers first three games seems unsustainably weird.

They have scored the most points of any team in the NFL in the first half, but have scored the least points in the second half by far. They've scored 3 points total in six second half quarters so far.

They've lost some games because of tough calls going against them. But they also won a game because the Cowboys crapped it away in the first quarter.

I can't figure out how they lost to Drew Stanton by 9 points though. Sure, there were some calls that hurt them a little, but last year's SF team would have won that game by 30.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked: SF's opponents have a combined record of 7-2, and the 49ers played two of those three games on the road.

Anyway, it's hard to figure out how good or bad this team is, if they are on the verge or implosion or just off to a wobbly start.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":35zxt1b0 said:
Everything about the 49ers first three games screams outlier.

They have scored the most points of any team in the NFL in the first half, but have scored the least points in the second half by far. They've scored 3 points total in six second half quarters so far.

They've lost some games because of tough calls going against them. But they also won a game because the Cowboys crapped it away in the first quarter.

I can't figure out how they lost to Drew Stanton by 9 points though. Sure, there were some calls that hurt them a little, but last year's SF team would have won that game by 30.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked: SF's opponents have a combined record of 7-2, and the 49ers played two of those three games on the road.

Anyway, it's hard to figure out how good or bad this team is, if they are on the verge or implosion or just off to a wobbly start.

Choking in the second half, particularly the fourth quarter, is standard fare for Colin Kaepernick. We'll see how he holds up in these next few games against Philadelphia, Kansas City, Denver, and New Orleans.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1mec2rzt said:
I'm crossing my fingers that they spiral out of control as these early season losses mount.

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

I see at least two more losses in that five. I predicted before the season that they would be 5-4 after the first nine games.
Aldon's out for 10 games not 9.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1hqyvud6 said:
hawknation2014":1hqyvud6 said:

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11432 ... nine-games

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":2jzmtz7m said:
Everything about the 49ers first three games seems unsustainably weird.

Well said.

To me....a lot of it I think is just odd stuff taking place in the second halves of games. You can look at it and surely see a pattern, but I'm not all that certain that the second half woes are because of any one thing.

They do have a history of taking their foots off the gas that dates back to last year. MANY games where they were up by a TON and gave up points late and still won.

Penatlies are HUGE. It isn't just the quantity either. Its the timing of them. Some of their lack of scoring is not having the ball a lot because the D keeps giving out LONG possessions by the other teams offense by getting critical 3rd down penalties. SOme real and some BS. The offense has moved the ball but then they either miss the field goal, get his with penatlies to knowck them out of scoring position, or get a FG blocked.

All in all, its really just odd.

If I had to put my finger o their problems for the most part, lack of pass rush is a BIG one. Stupid penalties at the wrong time is another. Lack of execution on offense has been a second half issue...particularly on the o-Line.

Good example there are two screens that were called to Hyde. Niners NEVER run screens. They ran two of them and both had HUGE amount of space for Hyde to run along way and in both case one guy missed a block to spring him (Martin on one and Iupati on another).

It doesn't look like a scheme issue or a talent issue. It looks like an "out of sync" issue that is compounded by the penalties and giving QBs all day to throw the ball.

Some of this can be fixed quickly. An offense can get in sync fast. A team can be better committing penalties (and hopefully refs will ease off the BS personal fouls).

The rough one tho is the pass rush. Justin Smith is just fine. He had his 4th sack wiped out by yet another penalty last week. Trouble is he's getting doubled and tripled and nobody is making the O pay for that. Lemonier so far this year has been hugely disappointing. Lynch has looked good and will probably get more snaps. Carradine has been inactive and the thing he does best is get after the QB so I'd expect him to be active soon.

This really won't get fixed tho till Aldon comes back. That's a long ways off tho and they could be out of the playoff picture by then.

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1w3n5p4b said:
hawknation2014":1w3n5p4b said:

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

?

No, its 9. Some peeps holding out hope that it will get shortened with good behavior, but I doubt it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The 49ers and the Seahawks are bound together, because they play a version of football that is to some extent fighting the tides of where those who run football want it to go.

Both teams emphasize a tough defense, it is about strength and power, a strong running game and the chess match.

Maybe Harbaugh is a jerk, maybe he isn't. Some of the sideline stuff is funny but whether he is a jerk or not is immaterial. One of the best FB coaches, Parcells, was clearly a jerk. To his own family even. But he was a hell of a football coach.

What Harbaugh did at Stanford was incredible. I still think he is a phenomenal coach. And I think the reason 49ers topics keep coming up is because we rightfully fear them as the most dangerous obstacle to home field in the playoffs that we face.

Either way, I respect the team. Certainly more than teams like the Broncos, where Peyton Manning pees and moans about things he needs changed whenever he fails (or gets others to pee and moan for change instead). Somehow a lot of really bad fans latched onto the 49ers, people that act like jerks and assault other fans for having the audacity of cheering for another team (likely because they live or lived there).

But the team itself has some damned good players.

Yes, they are worthy rivals but they are also thin in certain spots and frustrated because of it.

But more importantly, the Seahawks and the 49ers are the last stand of success against the trend that wants to turn football into more of an athletic ballet, about the passing game, diving and receiving. Diminishing the value of defense or physical game and instead emphasizing offense.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2bkj76b4 said:
No, its 9. Some peeps holding out hope that it will get shortened with good behavior, but I doubt it.

That's because this is what the league said and what was reported. FWIW I've always found it to be REALLY odd and I've never really believed it. Even if it was Goodell's intentions at one point, I can't imagine that's still the case.

In any case though, it's probably worth alerting Hawks fans to the fact that this was what was reported when Aldon was suspended, as if it does happen (which I still don't believe) it will save you and I from a lot of ranting conspiracy theories about how the league is secretly trying to let him get back into game shape before the 9ers/Hawks game, and people calling us trolls for pointing out that this has been known since the suspension was put in place. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2l2uuce5 said:
Penatlies are HUGE. It isn't just the quantity either. Its the timing of them.

In 3 games this year they've had 9 first-down granting penalties when their opponent was at 3rd and 6+ yards.

Across 16 games last year they had 7 of these.