EJ Manuel benched; Kyle Orton to start for Buffalo Bills

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Their team isn't good enough to try and go into "win now" mode. Orton's a little old (31) and not the future of the franchise. Good move, Buffalo.....

mistaowen

Reaction score
Orton will lead them to the Superbowl for 18 straight seasons.

6b5c4b2fa588fa8489430fca6def86ca.jpg

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They need to get rid of their GM, Doug Whaley. He's the one who drafted Manuel. Henne, Manuel, and Smith are all a lost cause.

kearly

Reaction score
I have about as much hope for Manuel winning a SB as I do for Cyler Miles winning a Heisman. The Bills are making the decision to move on a little early, but it's the right decision. It's just not that hard these days to find a good QB, so there's no reason to stick with a bad one for years and years hoping things will change. And these days, a QB will pretty much prove himself in the very first year. Stories of delayed stardom for guys like Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Aaron Rodgers are basically ancient history these days.

Everyone knew Manuel at #16 was a mistake, just like everyone knew Christian Ponder at #12 was a mistake. In the case of Manuel, the Bills got caught up in the flavor of the month mentality. Kaep had just come one pass interference call away from maybe winning it all, and everyone was looking for the next Kaep or Wilson. Manuel is very similar to Kaep, but Buffalo forgot that they didn't have Jim Harbaugh on their coaching staff. So in a way, you could argue it was an ego driven mistake as well.

Buffalo has realized their mistake and I think they deserve credit for at least owning up to it quickly. Some teams with big ego coaches/GMs will still see value in Manuel. Buffalo might get something in a trade this offseason to a team that hopes to copy the 49ers model.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":ajj3ne0x said:
I have about as much hope for Manuel winning a SB as I do for Cyler Miles winning a Heisman. The Bills are making the decision to move on a little early, but it's the right decision. It's just not that hard these days to find a good QB, so there's no reason to stick with a bad one for years and years hoping things will change. And these days, a QB will pretty much prove himself in the very first year. Stories of delayed stardom for guys like Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Aaron Rodgers are basically ancient history these days.

Everyone knew Manuel at #16 was a mistake, just like everyone knew Christian Ponder at #12 was a mistake. In the case of Manuel, the Bills got caught up in the flavor of the month mentality. Kaep had just come one pass interference call away from maybe winning it all, and everyone was looking for the next Kaep or Wilson. Manuel is very similar to Kaep, but Buffalo forgot that they didn't have Jim Harbaugh on their coaching staff. So in a way, you could argue it was an ego driven mistake as well.

Buffalo has realized their mistake and I think they deserve credit for at least owning up to it quickly. Some teams with big ego coaches/GMs will still see value in Manuel. Buffalo might get something in a trade this offseason to a team that hopes to copy the 49ers model.

Agreed. The time to criticize the Bills was when they took Manuel at #16, which anyone who saw him play at FSU rightly did. Decent college player, but it seemed pretty evident that he would be wholly unspectacular in the pros. This decision came earlier than expected, but I understand the move. EJ isn't the guy, and the only shot Marrone has of retaining his job is if Orton can be just mediocre and lucky enough to eek out a .500 record or something close.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is yet another example of why reaching on a quarterback in the First Round is usually a poor choice that will get everyone fired in two to three years.

Since 2010, there hasn't been a QB selected higher than 35, other than No. 1's Cam Newton and Andrew Luck, who has proven himself to be a successful starting QB.

Bortles could be an exception, but will he be that much better than Mike Glennon, Kirk Cousins, or Derek Carr? The Jake Locker, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Robert Griffin disasters have set teams back for years.

There have been too many failed First Round quarterbacks and too much pressure to play the high-draft choice to continue to reach on a QB in the First Round.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I thought EJ would be good if put in a situation where he had a good run game and defense but I was mistaken there. I can say that their front office is a loser though. The cut Tjack and keep signing has beens. Tarvaris is one of the best back ups out there, if not the best and he could have helped EJ develop. But they kept shuffling people through there and it became obvious that they had no idea what they were doing. Cutting and signing QBs is not a winning strategy.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Another gift game for the LieDowns. :pukeface: :roll:

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
ivotuk":q75r0k1y said:
I thought EJ would be good if put in a situation where he had a good run game and defense but I was mistaken there. I can say that their front office is a loser though. The cut Tjack and keep signing has beens. Tarvaris is one of the best back ups out there, if not the best and he could have helped EJ develop. But they kept shuffling people through there and it became obvious that they had no idea what they were doing. Cutting and signing QBs is not a winning strategy.

Right..... Manuel is failing because the Bills cut Tarvaris Jackson as their backup

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
My GF and me have come to the conclussion that KO would be a better QB if he wasn't getting so much tail. He's what some may call a "golden god".

My lord....his hair alone....moist much???

Latest posts