FCC Votes to drop Blackout Rule

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11617725/fcc-votes-drop-sports-blackouts-nfl-says-change[/urltargetblank]

The NFL doesn't seem too phased by it though

The Federal Communications Commission voted 5-0 to eliminate its sports blackout rules Tuesday, but the NFL said that it doesn't plan to change the way its broadcasts are handled.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kidhawk":vp95cglt said:
[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11617725/fcc-votes-drop-sports-blackouts-nfl-says-change[/urltargetblank]

The Federal Communications Commission voted 5-0 to eliminate its sports blackout rules Tuesday, but the NFL said that it doesn't plan to change the way its broadcasts are handled.
An arrogant bunch aren't they?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kidhawk":1g8lekh4 said:

NFL will likely get their minds changed for them but only after they lose in court.

MizzouHawkGal":1g8lekh4 said:
An arrogant bunch aren't they?
"Dear government of the USA, we're the NFL so screw you"?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd say the stubborn refusal of the TV industry itself in general to change away from "we want ad revenue so we can buy exclusivity" way of doing things is at least as much to blame as the NFL itself, if not more.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Anyone think this might lead to an ala' carte system for viewing out of market NFL games?

(ala' carte would be where you could pay for a single game much like a pay per view movie for say $3.99)

I sure would like to see it. I know it would kill Sunday Ticket but it might make the league more money in the long run.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":4y7t5pbr said:
Anyone think this might lead to an ala' carte system for viewing out of market NFL games?

(ala' carte would be where you could pay for a single game much like a pay per view movie for say $3.99)

I sure would like to see it. I know it would kill Sunday Ticket but it might make the league more money in the long run.

That is why the NFL is not in agreement with the cable companies. Cable wanted to do an ala' carte type system and the NFL said NO we want it this way and that's how Direct TV got the rights to it back in the day.

Would be nice if it would happen. But you have to remember the local affiliates will fight that move also. They want you to watch whatever game they put on.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkinNY":3q4gjrq0 said:
Cable wanted to do an ala' carte type system
Proof? Because the cable companies are actively avoiding a la carte ANYTHING to this day right now when it comes to cable channels.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":tp525dph said:

If this happened the NFL couldn't control the market? Maybe?

I mean we've seen the adds that feature fans or products in prominent view from teams that really should be damn near obsolete. If the NFL controls most of who sees what, except for some regional action, then the NFL can keep crappy ass teams like the Jets in people's heads.

taz291819

Reaction score
HawkinNY":25wzujbw said:
hawksfansinceday1":25wzujbw said:

That is why the NFL is not in agreement with the cable companies. Cable wanted to do an ala' carte type system and the NFL said NO we want it this way and that's how Direct TV got the rights to it back in the day.

Would be nice if it would happen. But you have to remember the local affiliates will fight that move also. They want you to watch whatever game they put on.

That's not in the least bit true. Both cable and satellite would love to do ala-carte, but the networks won't allow it. And honestly, ala-carte would cost most people more money in the end (ESPN alone would charge $5/month just for their channel).

Also, Directv loses money on NFL-ST, but makes up those losses with regular subscriptions.

And fwiw, I believe Directv still offers single-game PPV, but it's like $40/game.

mikeak

Reaction score
The reason NFL is with Directv is because they gave a lot of money and they cover the whole country. NFL didn't know if they could get the same from cable companies (or rather knew they couldn't) AND it would have required negotiations with tons of cable companies.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The NFL needs to partner with Netflix and let them handle it.

Netflix can sell it to anyone as a premium side service. All you need is an Xbox, PS4, Chromecast, SmartTV, etc.; ANYONE can get Netflix on their TV for almost nothing with the Chromecast option, for instance.

Seriously, NFL. Team up with Netflix. They ALREADY know how to deliver content to EVERYONE and in vastly superior quality over your NFL Game Rewind, I might add. They can do this for you and you sit back and rake in tons of money.

Either that, or partner with Google & do it through YouTube. They are both amazing options. DROP THIS EXCLUSIVITY CRAP AND GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Not that you or the NFL particularly care about micro markets in places like rural Montana/ Alaska, but there are still places where there isn't sufficient bandwidth to support streaming games through Netflix/ YouTube like you are talking about doing.

I also suspect that there are live streaming issues that Netflix isn't set up to deal with. Streaming pre-recorded shows is much easier than streaming live events. Just look at how frequently Apple bones up streaming their live events to a comparatively limited audience. You would think that after all these years they could get that one figured out.

DirecTV doesn't have this limitation and can be picked up by those of us that live in places where internet speeds are still stuck in the 90's, and vacation where internet is non-existent. Mmmm, portable dishes and generators!

If it weren't for WiMax and LTE I would be stuck at slow dialup speeds at my house. There is no cable service, and the phone lines are too ancient to support DSL.

At least we do have grid electricity, a step up from what I had in Alaska.

- bsd

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3e99xio2 said:
Not that you or the NFL particularly care about micro markets in places like rural Montana/ Alaska, but there are still places where there isn't sufficient bandwidth to support streaming games through Netflix/ YouTube like you are talking about doing.

I also suspect that there are live streaming issues that Netflix isn't set up to deal with. Streaming pre-recorded shows is much easier than streaming live events. Just look at how frequently Apple bones up streaming their live events to a comparatively limited audience. You would think that after all these years they could get that one figured out.

DirecTV doesn't have this limitation and can be picked up by those of us that live in places where internet speeds are still stuck in the 90's, and vacation where internet is non-existent. Mmmm, portable dishes and generators!

If it weren't for WiMax and LTE I would be stuck at slow dialup speeds at my house. There is no cable service, and the phone lines are too ancient to support DSL.

At least we do have grid electricity, a step up from what I had in Alaska.

- bsd

One of the bowhunters in camp last weekend was asking just that about dish or directtv. Could we put a tv and a dish with receiver up at camp and watch the ball games there? Yes I said. And I could do it too. BUT, I would rather not do it as there would be a bundle of people that want to watch it and I would get no sleep for hunting or anything else for that matter. I say NO.....I NEED my BEAUTY sleep.....as tho that matters any more... :mrgreen:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Seahawks schedule has played hell with elk camp for us the last two years. Niners last year and Broncs this year were scheduled right around the prime rut week so we lost some hunting days traveling to Seattle.

I suppose I could see watching games mid-day during the down time, but it would kind of ruin elk camp for me. I like to take two to three, week long breaks from technology per year (no cell, internet, tv, etc) and elk camp is one of them.

I did make a concession to bringing in a generator and microwave this year to speed the late night meal prep when we get back to camp, but I'm not ready to have a TV etc

-bsd

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
bigskydoc":uoejh2bc said:
Seahawks schedule has played hell with elk camp for us the last two years. Niners last year and Broncs this year were scheduled right around the prime rut week so we lost some hunting days traveling to Seattle.

I suppose I could see watching games mid-day during the down time, but it would kind of ruin elk camp for me. I like to take two to three, week long breaks from technology per year (no cell, internet, tv, etc) and elk camp is one of them.

I did make a concession to bringing in a generator and microwave this year to speed the late night meal prep when we get back to camp, but I'm not ready to have a TV etc

-bsd

I am with you BSD. My hunt started Wed but I have issues at home to take care of. Probably head up to camp on Monday and stay in the Steelhead motel I like to go to. It is only about 30 miles from camp and I can get an early start on my quad which is at camp now. I may even record "DVD" the game in the motel. We have technology there due to a friends job necessity. I dont need it tho. But at this time....ugh it is back to necessary. Possibly one week left in that camp then move to another area for deer camp. Depends on whether another friend is joining us in the mountains or not.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
bigskydoc":gzph01ih said:
Good luck and bring back pics!

- bsd

I can post a pic of one that we hauled out from bow hunter. 6x6. Biggo prick.....Took 6 of us and thought about bringing up 2 more for some of the meat and the horns. Approximately 4 foot or a little more of backstrap.