Calais Campbell injured

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
...I'd be furious if that happened to a Seahawk. I'm moderately annoyed that it happened to an enemy player as it is.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It was a bullshit chop.
Denver. Leading the league in fake toughness.

ringless

Reaction score
I feel bad for the guy, at every home game (I have seats by the endzone) he comes and waves to the fans. Take a knee, says a prayer and puts on the biggest smile for everyone at the same exact spot. He is not a loud leader, kind of a quiet guy most of the time until Dockett went down and we needed him to be the leader. Just a great guy, I hate seeing it done to any player... Hopefully in the future they make the penalties more severe for those types of blocks

kearly

Reaction score
I thought that block was legal. As far as I understand the rule, a chop block is only banned if the defender is engaged with a blocker before the block. That was not the case here. But maybe it's illegal for a TE to do it? Anyone know how the ruling worked on this?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
kearly":2dkahd7x said:
I thought that block was legal. As far as I understand the rule, a chop block is only banned if the defender is engaged with a blocker before the block. That was not the case here. But maybe it's illegal for a TE to do it? Anyone know how the ruling worked on this?
NFL confirmed today that it was an illegal block.
NFL":2dkahd7x said:
"The play was penalized because it was an illegal chop block, a violation of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 3 items c) and d)," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said. "The officials threw the flag for the 'reverse chop.' Thomas blocked Campbell 'in the area of the thigh or lower,' as specified by rule, and Clady engages Campbell high 'simultaneously or immediately after the block' by Thomas, resulting in the penalty.

"The play also violated part c) of the rule, known as a 'lure.' While Thomas chops Campbell, Clady 'confronts the defensive player in a pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player.'"
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11653 ... as-correct

kearly

Reaction score
Kind of a weird rule. If Clady gets out of the way and doesn't let Campbell fall on him, it's not a penalty.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
It looked like a legal block to me and Julius Thomas doesnt give me that dirty player vibe. If he hadnt gotten injured, i dont think the flag would he been thrown

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The Battle #83":32a5okwj said:
It looked like a legal block to me and Julius Thomas doesnt give me that dirty player vibe. If he hadnt gotten injured, i dont think the flag would he been thrown

Diving right into someone's knee doesn't look like an illegal block to you?

kearly

Reaction score
DoctorChicken":36biklxx said:

It's legal at the LOS unless a 2nd blocker gets involved. JR Sweezy does these kinds of blocks a dozen times every game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2eumijvz said:
Kind of a weird rule. If Clady gets out of the way and doesn't let Campbell fall on him, it's not a penalty.
True. In fact, the Broncos are claiming Clady was supposed to fan out, which would have made it legal.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
DoctorChicken":25h4uo84 said:
The Battle #83":25h4uo84 said:

It looked like he was going to the thigh to me. Thomas is also a bad blocker so it just bad form, but i could be wrong. just my point of view

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":39umcga3 said:
DoctorChicken":39umcga3 said:

It's legal at the LOS unless a 2nd blocker gets involved. JR Sweezy does these kinds of blocks a dozen times every game.

But it was deemed illegal because Clady engaged immediately after the chop block.

It's definitely shady because Clady knew Thomas was going to chop Cambell, that's why he stepped back and waited to engage. So it was obviously drawn up before hand.

Now whether Thomas was instructed to go right at the knee with the intent to hurt? I'm not willing to go that far, but it's definitely a suspect play.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just think that if an defensive player can hit a runner's knee that an offensive player should be able to do the same.

I do think the chop penalty should be stiffer in the form of a suspension though. No player should be going low on anyone engaged.

Chopping a defender straight on is acceptable in my eyes, but going at the side like that is pretty dirty.