Holmgren emerging as coaching candidate

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Strong and persistent chatter has emerged in recent days linking Holmgren to the job. It’s a fairly obvious connection, given that former Holmgren lieutenant Reggie McKenzie serves as the General Manager in Oakland. McKenzie, who could be the next guy out the door in Oakland, has said he’ll hire the next coach. If McKenzie does, Holmgren could be the optimal Hail Mary option, especially since Holmgren likely would not be inclined to replace McKenzie — unlike other big-name coaches Davis may pursue.

While unconfirmed, multiple sources tell PFT that Holmgren visited the team’s facility this week. Hardly a precursor to getting the job, it could be an indication that Holmgren is in the mix, if Davis ultimately can’t catch a coach who cachè born more recently than 1948.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ers-coach/

irocdave

Reaction score
Holmy in Raider land would be awesome. Dude still has the passion and could pull that team out of the muck they are in. Besides, who wouldn't want to see him compete for the bay area sports fans dollar with the niners. I would guess niner fans who look at the raiders much differently if Holmy was at the helm?

chris98251

Reaction score
irocdave":31qar140 said:
Holmy in Raider land would be awesome. Dude still has the passion and could pull that team out of the muck they are in. Besides, who wouldn't want to see him compete for the bay area sports fans dollar with the niners. I would guess niner fans who look at the raiders much differently if Holmy was at the helm?

I doubt it's in the Bay Area, NFL said it may move two teams to L.A., I am betting Rams are one, Raiders the other, Chargers are in the conversation but they would have to pay a relocation fee to go there, Chargers I doubt do that. I could see a shared field like Jets and Giants, or maybe two fields, Rams owner already has the land for theirs, League may help with the other. There are three places or may be more that they have set as sites.

Holmgren with a new Stadium, Facilities, practice fields, etc could be lured in those situations.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Would love to see him on the sidelines again, but Oakland Raiders? That franchise is doomed to be bad for eternity.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3e14fg7p said:
If Harbaugh leaves, I bet Mike would slide in well there.
Beat me to it, Holmy has ties to the niner franchise so it wouldnt surprise me one bit. Don't think Kraepperchoke would be there long if Holmy's the coach. Mike would certainly bring class to that currently classless franchise.

chris98251

Reaction score
Just read another article saying 49ers were offered two 3rd rounders from Cleveland but Harbaughs wife didn't want to leave the Bay area, it also says that he would be open to return to the Raiders where he started his coaching career. So Harbaugh Raiders Holmgren 49ers, maybe, Raiders may pay Holmgren or Harbaugh, but will the 49ers pay Holmgren after not paying Harbaugh.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think he would want the ability to bless things but not be an everyday GM, he likes to coach and it was the business end of things that was his Gremlin.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I hope he coaches...GM nope...after all didn't he basically trade away Julio Jones one year and then draft Wheeden the next year after...moves like that will certainly kill a franchise...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Holmgren said he did visit, but that the job was not offered to him. So my guess is this was merely exploratory on both sides to gauge interest and demands on what Mike would want if he were to take the job.

As much as I love Holmgren and what he meant to us, from listening to him the past couple of years on KJR it seems like the game's passed him by a little.

Being out of coaching in an industry like the NFL for 4-5 years is an ETERNITY, not so sure he'd do well, especially in clusterf$#@ situation like Oakland where it'd take forever to turn that franchise around. If that's even possible.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Sounds like he was consulting and giving some advice to Reggie McKenzie.

While Holmgren did admit to visiting the Raiders, he did downplay the potential of himself being named the longterm head coach in Oakland when that person is named. According to PFT, Holmgren spoke candidly on Seattle rabout visiting the facilities during the bye to discuss film and other football related consulting with former Packers coworker Reggie McKenzie.

http://justblogbaby.com/2014/10/06/oakl ... -holmgren/

The Battle #83

Reaction score
chris98251":2mtg2bsw said:
Just read another article saying 49ers were offered two 3rd rounders from Cleveland but Harbaughs wife didn't want to leave the Bay area, it also says that he would be open to return to the Raiders where he started his coaching career. So Harbaugh Raiders Holmgren 49ers, maybe, Raiders may pay Holmgren or Harbaugh, but will the 49ers pay Holmgren after not paying Harbaugh.

Why would that matter? Unless Harbaugh has a say in where he wants to get traded to. link?

OrFan

Reaction score
Holmgren is part of the past. The game passed him by several years ago.

He just needs to enjoy his retirement, he earned it.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Battle #83":td2u1ee9 said:
chris98251":td2u1ee9 said:

Why would that matter? Unless Harbaugh has a say in where he wants to get traded to. link?

Coach's are not players, they are not represented, if Harbaugh doesn't want to go because his wife wants to stay in the Bay area then the benefit of trading him are gone, then they are then cutting ties and having to pay him. His contract is with the 49ers, he would have to agree to go.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
chris98251":1m681eyh said:
I think he would want the ability to bless things but not be an everyday GM, he likes to coach and it was the business end of things that was his Gremlin.
Holmes built the Seahawks team that made it to the Super Bowl.

chris98251

Reaction score
He built the offense, bought the defense mostly, The Super Bowl year was Ruskells in charge year.

We were paying High priced FA's to fill in where our draft was missing on defense and after Rhodes left Ruskell started doing te picking. Tatupu was a Ruskell pick but scouted by Rhodes. That build of contracts was what was heading us to an older less talented roster.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":156io39r said:

Couple things....

1) Niners may have been OFFERED 2 3rd round picks but that doesn't mean that was enough to get the deal done. I still think a lot of that rumor came from peeps since fired in Cleveland.

2) If it IS true that Harbaugh will be traded...I don't see Holmgren coming to SF. He would probably want to be the GM as well and Baalke isn't leaving any time soon.

Jville

Reaction score
Mike Holmgren is still a valuable brand name. He is also a helpful adviser and consultant.. But at age 66, I doubt he would be the idea candidate to coach a rebuilding team.