Super Bowl XLIX Halftime Performer.....

kidhawk

Reaction score
Katy Perry....at least that is the reports. It's still "unofficial"

[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11673709/katy-perry-play-half-super-bowl[/urltargetblank]

Pop star Katy Perry will be the halftime performer at Super Bowl XLIX, according to multiple reports.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Kid, I can't provide a link but I heard bits and pieces of a story, that said the NFL was wanting performers to PAY for the right to play the Super Bowl.
Sounded crazy to me.
Anybody else hear anything about this?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
She's not bad. There are many other choices that would be truly horrible.

Kid, I can't provide a link but I heard bits and pieces of a story, that said the NFL was wanting performers to PAY for the right to play the Super Bowl.
Sounded crazy to me.
I have heard about it. Just because the NFL wants to charge doesn't mean it would ever happen (as in are you nuts?). There are plenty of ways to get or maintain exposure that are just as good without actually having to pay for the privilege.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
pmedic920":2iz7ebe2 said:
Sounded crazy to me.

I remember hearing about this too. Big reason no "big name" stars have been halftime performers as of late. Really helped out Bruno Mars though, so I don't see how they'd stray from that business model.

pmedic920

Reaction score
City Of Reign":2bva06ef said:
pmedic920":2bva06ef said:
Sounded crazy to me.

I remember hearing about this too. Big reason no "big name" stars have been halftime performers as of late. Really helped out Bruno Mars though, so I don't see how they'd stray from that business model.

I brought it up because I thought I heard that Perry told them "hell no" to paying them.
It's all curious to me.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
City Of Reign":2r5niznm said:
pmedic920":2r5niznm said:
Sounded crazy to me.

The NFL has historically gotten big names to perform for free by covering their hotel and flight expenses, but not paying for the performance. This season there was talk that the NFL had put feelers out to performers to see if they'd be willing to pay to play in the Super Bowl. Nothing I've heard shows that any artist has taken them up on the offer, and an article I read earlier this week quoted Perry at a college game over the weekend saying she doesn't pay to play. So if this is all true, and she is the performer, then it would seem the NFL was rejected by all the artists in their pay to play scheme. Whether or not they are still covering artist expenses, I have no idea.

IMO, I think that it's a win/win for the NFL, the artist and a win for fans if they just have the performer do their shows for free as they have in the past.

There's greed and then there's stupid greedy.....asking performers to pay to play falls under the latter

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
City Of Reign":oe7494fw said:
pmedic920":oe7494fw said:
Sounded crazy to me.

Actually it's because the NFL doesn't want the more controversial acts or artists that may do something ala Janet Jackson like. So it excludes certain artists/groups right from the start. Plus unless they get paid for their time the return isn't worth it to them unlike 2nd tier artists.

Largent80

Reaction score
There are tons of bars down here in SoCal that use a pay to play system, they make bands sell tickets. While this worked for a short time, a LOT of those venues are now closed , which for me as a performer is a good/bad scenario.

WendellWent

Reaction score
City Of Reign":1q7rmgoo said:
pmedic920":1q7rmgoo said:
Sounded crazy to me.

Who do you consider big name?

253hawk

Reaction score
Most of the performers are former big names that just haven't been relevant for a long while, which is why they do the show for free (I think the NFL only pays for their concessions.) It's too bad that lately it's been mostly dad-rock or stuff that just does not fit the average football fan's demographic. I can still smell the Flexall 454 from Bruce Springsteen's crotch as he knee-slid across the stage into the HD camera.

Fully looking forward to Katy Perry wearing something that shoots stuff from her breasts and the national fallout that ensues as tens of thousands of less-than-desirable women who are only watching the SB for the commercials and/or to be a part of some social venue bitch to the FCC about being offended over something they normally never watch or care about anyway.

The half time show is stupid and overrated, let's just get rid of it already. Have some weiner dog races or something instead.

Msfann

Reaction score
Knowing they pick complete garbage 80% of the time I don't even care about it anymore.

I seem to be in the minority that likes the classic rock ones like when they had McCartney, The Who and The Rolling Stones.

People have been trying hard to get them to have Weird Al do it, that could work but the NFL wont do it so far.

Msfann

Reaction score
Crappy music just means more time away from the tv at halftime (at the Superbowl) to come here and talk about how great of a half the Seahawks just had!

Treghc

Reaction score
I'm okay with Katy Perry's boobs 'singing' to me.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I like Katy Perry. I bet she's excited too, like this:

262td0m