NFC West Week 7

ringless

Reaction score
Okay, so we are 6 weeks in... As things currently stand...

Cardinals 4-1
49ers 4-2
Seahawks 3-2
Rams N/A

So lets start with our leader :179422:
The Cardinals will go to Oakland to face the 0-5 Raiders.... Who quite surprisingly have had some pretty competitive games against some good teams.... They've also poohed the bed. Naturally this is a game I think the Cardinals win. I think the talent level is better, I think the coaching is better, and I think the discipline is better. I think the game will be harder than it needs to be, but I would love to have a rare blow out!

The 49ers go to Denver to face the Broncos, who just lost Trevathan which is a huge blow to the middle of the defense. The 49ers also lost Willis, and possibly Jimmie Ward for at least next week. The 49ers team just hasn't been consistent really during games. A different team shows up each quarter.... I really dont know what to expect, but I would have to guess a close close.

The Seahawks play the Rams in St. Louis for an early game. This is another game that I think is going to be closer than it needs to be. Which can pretty much be said for every divisional game, but I have no doubt that the Seahawks win this game in Stl... At the end of the day, they are the better team, with better coaching, and they know how to close games out.

So after 7 weeks, I expect the NFC west to look like this:

Cardinals 5-1
Seahawks 4-2
49ers 4-3

mikeak

Reaction score
St Louis is about to fix their sack problems next week. I just hope we finally go deep enough times to beat them. I do predict the Seattle defense scores more than St Louis offense...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm taking your Cards to beat the Raiders in a game that I believe will be closer than most people expect. You alluded to that possibility in your post Ringless. They played the Chargers VERY tough last week and seem to have responded to the change at HC in a positive fashion. Still though, your team's just better.
Cards by 5.

Whiners at the Donkeys should be a win for Denver considering their strength (throwing the ball) plays to Santa Clara's weakness (d-backs). But something tells me it's going to be really, really close (maybe OT) and that the Whiners aree able to control the clock with Gore and keep Pey Pey off the field for long stretches (even with Pork Butt in patrolling the middle). In the end though, the home team wins it.
Denver by 3

Seattle needs badly to get their shit back together. I don't have a huge amount of faith that they'll come in and light the Lambs up as this place has been a very difficult place to win. Still, Hawks find a way.
Seattle by 2

Wagon12

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ohe5mwtj said:
I'm taking your Cards to beat the Raiders in a game that I believe will be closer than most people expect. You alluded to that possibility in your post Ringless. They played the Chargers VERY tough last week and seem to have responded to the change at HC in a positive fashion. Still though, your team's just better.
Cards by 5.

Whiners at the Donkeys should be a win for Denver considering their strength (throwing the ball) plays to Santa Clara's weakness (d-backs). But something tells me it's going to be really, really close (maybe OT) and that the Whiners aree able to control the clock with Gore and keep Pey Pey off the field for long stretches (even with Pork Butt in patrolling the middle). In the end though, the home team wins it.
Denver by 3

Seattle needs badly to get their shit back together. I don't have a huge amount of faith that they'll come in and light the Lambs up as this place has been a very difficult place to win. Still, Hawks find a way.
Seattle by 2

I would expect all of the above as well... One thing to note though, you suggest that Denver's strength plays to SF's weakness, but their #2 ranked pass defense might suggest otherwise... It will be entertaining I think, and I'm glad it's the Sunday Night game...

Cards probably win...

Barring a complete meltdown, Hawks win also...

seahawksflow

Reaction score
This week seems like a no brainer for what goes in the W/L column. But as for how I see it going down:

Cards win over Raiders. No commentary needed.

49ers lose at Broncos. Short week away in mile high air. As mentioned Willis and Ward likely both out. On Defense alone that means Dorsey, Aldon, Bowman, Willis, Brock, and Ward out. Over half the starting defensive lineup gone. They have done well so far, but taking a leader like Willis out and it's a field day. Who even backs up Ward? Dahl? Oh god that guys is horrible. Peyton breaks the record this Sunday.

Seahawks win over Rams. Seahawks are angry and just got a wake up call. I think losses in regular season can be good things, this was one of those. They go back to the run game and slam it down the Rams throat who just choked up at 14-0 lead and are on a short week. Austin Davis has some hope in him and will probably look exciting for a few drives, but after a pair of interceptions the game turns.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Niners are actually very good over the past few years vs teams with great QBs (Rodgers, Brady, Brees), but this weekend is a tall order.

Their Pass D is ranked very high and they've played very well. Perrish Cox is shockingly playing at an All-Pro level (I know...I wouldn't believe it either if I weren't seeing it with my own eyes). Bethea isn't the enforcer Whitner was but has thusfar been MUCH better in coverage and is playing like a pro bowler.

The problem tho is that they still can't muster much of a pass rush. They need Aldon back bad.

My guess is they play nickel or dime all day and mostly play coverage. They have gotten away with that in the past because their front 7 was so good they could do that and still shut down the run. With Aldon and Bowman already out and now possibly missing Willis....ug. Might be ugly.

I also have no idea how they are going to cover Julius Thomas. Put Reid on Him? Wilhoite? a tall corner like Johnson or Cook?

I don't like any of those options.

Seahawks and the Cards I think win big and easy. Rams might come out on fire, but they'll screw up eventually. Raiders are bad. I like Carr a lot, but they have issues all over the place.

seahawksflow

Reaction score
Marvin49":ss58mtrh said:
Niners are actually very good over the past few years vs teams with great QBs (Rodgers, Brady, Brees), but this weekend is a tall order.

Their Pass D is ranked very high and they've played very well and Perrish Cox is shockingly playing at an All-Pro level (I know...I wouldn't believe it either if I weren't seeing it with my own eyes). Bethea isn't the enforcer Whitner was but has thusfar been MUCH better in coverage and is playing like a pro bowler.

The problem tho is that they still can't muster much of a pass rush. They need Aldon back bad.

My guess is they play nickel or dime all day and mostly play coverage. They have gotten away with that in the past because their front 7 was so good they could do that and still shut down the run. With Aldon and Bowman already out and now possibly missing Willis....ug. Might be ugly.

I also have no idea how they are going to cover Julius Thomas. Put Reid on Him? Wilhoite? a tall corner like Johnson or Cook?

Seahawks and the Cards I think win big and easy. Rams might come out on fire, but they'll screw up eventually. Raiders are bad. I like Carr a lot, but they have issues all over the place.

The difference between playing against good QBs then and now? All those teams (Saints, Packers, Pats) had rather horrific defenses.
The Denver defense is one of the most underrated defenses right now. Not really sure why people are missing it. I assume it is because teams are putting up big points by end of game. But Denver for the most part (sea only game it did not) is shutting teams down until Broncos take a big lead. Then it is all garbage points.

Marvin49

Reaction score
seahawksflow":h0j845ty said:
Marvin49":h0j845ty said:

Their Pass D is ranked very high and they've played very well and Perrish Cox is shockingly playing at an All-Pro level (I know...I wouldn't believe it either if I weren't seeing it with my own eyes). Bethea isn't the enforcer Whitner was but has thusfar been MUCH better in coverage and is playing like a pro bowler.

The difference between playing against good QBs then and now? All those teams (Saints, Packers, Pats) had rather horrific defenses.
The Denver defense is one of the most underrated defenses right now. Not really sure why people are missing it. I assume it is because teams are putting up big points by end of game. But Denver for the most part (sea only game it did not) is shutting teams down until Broncos take a big lead. Then it is all garbage points.

No doubt.

My point was only that despite Niner success against those great QBs, this is a different animal...particularly with the injuries/suspension to the LB corps in SF.

If they play their base 3-4 (which I'm not expecting), their LBs will be Ahmad Brooks, Michael Wilhoite, Chris Borland, and Dan Skuta.

It would be like Seattle playing without Sherman, Kam, and Earl...3/4 of the best unit on their team and possibly the league at that position.

Tall order.

Wagon12

Reaction score
Marvin49":12jtz7ub said:
seahawksflow":12jtz7ub said:
Marvin49":12jtz7ub said:

No doubt.

My point was only that despite Niner success against those great QBs, this is a different animal...particularly with the injuries/suspension to the LB corps in SF.

If they play their base 3-4 (which I'm not expecting), their LBs will be Ahmad Brooks, Michael Wilhoite, Chris Borland, and Dan Skuta.

It would be like Seattle playing without Sherman, Kam, and Earl...3/4 of the best unit on their team and possibly the league at that position.

Tall order.

I don't recall, Marvin, though I did watch the game... When did Patrick Willis exit the game vs. Rams?

seahawksflow

Reaction score
Marvin49":2f2a6ysu said:
seahawksflow":2f2a6ysu said:
Marvin49":2f2a6ysu said:

No doubt.

Tall order.

Who covers/stops Julius Thomas?

Wagon12

Reaction score
seahawksflow":36qvjd0m said:
Marvin49":36qvjd0m said:
seahawksflow":36qvjd0m said:
Marvin49":36qvjd0m said:

No doubt.

Tall order.

You mean besides nobody in the league??? lol...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Wagon12":3sf5rlrq said:
Marvin49":3sf5rlrq said:
seahawksflow":3sf5rlrq said:
Marvin49":3sf5rlrq said:

No doubt.

Tall order.

I don't recall, Marvin, though I did watch the game... When did Patrick Willis exit the game vs. Rams?

Just before Halftime.

Marvin49

Reaction score
seahawksflow":pp4wz8ap said:
Marvin49":pp4wz8ap said:
seahawksflow":pp4wz8ap said:
Marvin49":pp4wz8ap said:

No doubt.

Tall order.

As I stated previously....

"I also have no idea how they are going to cover Julius Thomas. Put Reid on Him? Wilhoite? a tall corner like Johnson or Cook?

I don't like any of those options."

Wagon12

Reaction score
I don't recall, Marvin, though I did watch the game... When did Patrick Willis exit the game vs. Rams?[/quote]

Just before Halftime.[/quote]

So... wait, what? Are you saying that the Niners gave up 14 with him in there and then held the Rams to 3 after he was sidelined??? Who subbed in for him, NaVorro Bowman???

Seriously, this has me scratching my head...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Wagon12":39xh7ej4 said:

Just before Halftime.[/quote]

So... wait, what? Are you saying that the Niners gave up 14 with him in there and then held the Rams to 3 after he was sidelined??? Who subbed in for him, NaVorro Bowman???

Seriously, this has me scratching my head...[/quote]

LOL.

Pretty much.

They settled down quite a bit in the second half. Chris Borland played well, but he's not Pat.

SF49r

Reaction score
Thats vic fangio defense for ya. Plug almost anybody in and they can get it done.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Cox has played out of this world for the 49ers, he has really stepped up to the challenge.

I really hope we can beat the Raiders big this week. I would like to be able to relax for a whole game, especially since the next few weeks are most likely going to bring us back down to earth.

RedAlice

Reaction score
@ Ringless.

Raiders showed some fight last week, I know the Charger fans I watched with were all very surprised. I had told them that they now had a new HC and were coming off of a bye week, so would probably be feisty. And they were.

Still not a good team though, so I fully expect you to win - maybe just not as easily as you hope. They will suprise someone here eventually.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think we all agree in our predictions, so maybe the question is which of the following would be the most and least surprising: a Raiders victory, a 49ers victory, and a Rams victory?

For most I'd say 9ers because they're traveling on a short week and missing half their defense against a top offense in the league. For least i'd say Oakland because I think they're better than their record and the cards are worse than their record (I still don't believe). I think the hawks are better than their record, the rams have a ton of problems at their previous area of strength, and I wouldn't be surprised if Davis' Jeremy Lin moment is already over.