[SPECULATION/UNCONFIRMRED RUMOR] Two teams to LA soon?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
MODERATORS: If relaying these rumors posted on another image board is against policy, please do not hesitate to delete. I do not want this to cause anybody any trouble. I just saw it while browsing 4chan's sports board and decided that it may be interesting.

Someone on a popular image board with a fairly consistent track record is stating that he has knowledge of a deal being finalized that will move the Raiders and the Rams to LA. I'd file this under "rumors" and not "insider info." Just passing it along.

Allow me to quote the full three messages.

Got some really tough news for us Bay Area fans. I have a relative who is in the know with a development group in LA, and Mark Davis is in the process of finalizing an agreement that is palatable to the NFL and the Raiders both to get a deal done in LA and have the Raiders playing in the Rose Bowl as soon as next year while the stadium is built. This is massively painful for me being born and raised in Oakland. Not sure what to think. This is not rumor. I'd expect this to hit the local outlets soon. I am pretty damn gutted right now. Will post more if I get it. I don't have any sort of track record of posting BS, so trust me when I say this came from a source involved with the situation.

Not alone. With the Rams. They would also be moving, and to make things worse (or better if you want the Raiders in LA), Kroenke already owns the land. This is the biggest thing that pisses me off about it. They're gonna share a stadium with the Rams but they wouldn't with the Niners. Apparently mark has been playing lip service when talking about wanting to stay in Oakland. He'd actually rather be in LA as he thinks there's more money there for him. Privately he's been pushing for the LA move since before Al died, and since Al has passed he has pushed even harder to get something done. Looks like he's on the verge of getting it done.

From what I was told, the NFL will approve this, especially since Stan Kroenke already owns the land and the proper team is in place to get a stadium done. Although Mark Davis doesn't have the money to get a stadium by himself, by piggybacking off the deep pocketed Kroenke, the necessary votes would be secured to pave the way for a move. Mark knows Oakland doesn't have what it takes to get a deal done, and with Jean Quan likely outgoing and Rebecca Kaplan or Libby Schaaf coming in as mayor, coliseum city is effectively dead, as he'd be starting back at square one when it comes to a deal getting done with the city of Oakland. Kaplan had been involved with trying to secure a deal with the Raiders, but she has now been said to favor securing a deal for the A's instead of the Raiders, as she believes 81 events in a baseball stadium are more beneficial to the local economy than 10 at a football only venue, especially considering that Levi's stadium will get all the marquee musical events over whatever new stadium is built in Oakland. Looks like the Raiders' best bet was to share the costs of building Levi's Stadium with the 49ers, but due to the stubbornness of Al Davis, that never happened and that ship has now sailed.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Washington Post has an article on this today:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... t-so-fast/

Rams, Raiders reportedly are ready to move to L.A., but NFL says ‘not so fast’

The league will not approve a relocation to L.A. without the prior approval of stadium, property and development deals, CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora reports.

Both teams, whose current leases expire after the season, continue to actively seek solutions to their hurdles currently preventing them from moving to Southern California, sources said. “There are live discussions involving two clubs potentially relocating there,” as one source put it.

The Rams and Raiders still could end up there as soon as next season if they end up working together on a solution. The NFL continues to research and assess several sites for a potential league-owned stadium in LA.

And, if you go to the St. Louis board there are constant daily rumors and fighting about it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
There is an existing thread on this but I'm unable to merge topics as I'd prefer and this seems to have more recent information so I'll leave it be for now.

RedAlice

Reaction score
NFL officially issues a survey for the LA market beginning today.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/ar ... -81734358/

The NFL is officially kicking the tires on the Los Angeles market.

Beginning Tuesday, the league will begin a formal market assessment of the L.A. area, The Times has learned. The NFL will email questionnaires to about 2,000 potential customers to better gauge the demand for a team and what people want in terms of a stadium, seating and amenities.

The fact that the NFL is conducting a survey is not necessarily earthshaking news, nor is it an indication that a return to L.A. is imminent. However, it is an incremental step in the process, indicating that the league has intensified its attention on the nation's second-largest market.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RedAlice":13sqrf5f said:
NFL officially issues a survey for the LA market beginning today.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/ar ... -81734358/

The NFL is officially kicking the tires on the Los Angeles market.

Beginning Tuesday, the league will begin a formal market assessment of the L.A. area, The Times has learned. The NFL will email questionnaires to about 2,000 potential customers to better gauge the demand for a team and what people want in terms of a stadium, seating and amenities.

The fact that the NFL is conducting a survey is not necessarily earthshaking news, nor is it an indication that a return to L.A. is imminent. However, it is an incremental step in the process, indicating that the league has intensified its attention on the nation's second-largest market.

Honestly...it makes a lot of sense.

Mark Davis is not Jed York. Jed put a team together and worked his a$$ off to get the measure passed in SC and went out with Gideon Yu to secure the funding to get Levis Stadium built. He spent countless hours in SC living rooms convincing the residents there of the merits of the project.

Mark Davis ain't gonna do that. The dude is Tommy Boy. He doesn't have the resources to get the building built on his own either. Hell, Mark may have to sell a portion of the team when his mother dies in order to pay the inheritance tax on the team. He's nowhere near as wealthy as the other owners.

In order for the Raiders to get a stadium built, Mark will have to sell the team or have someone build it for him.

Enter the Rams. I can't speak intelligently on the stadium/fanbase situation in St. Louis (RedAlice?), but I have to think the draw of the 2nd largest market in the US and existing Rams fans in the area would be a huge draw...not to mention a cotenant in the stadium to offset costs.

It would also finally geographically realign the NFC West for the first time in my memory to actually have 4 teams from the west in the division.

My only hope would be for them to dump the dark blue and true gold unis in favor of the oldschool ones they wore Monday Night the same way the Niners did a few years ago.

Better yet...maybe drop the yellow as well and just go Blue and White like the days of Deacon Jones and the Fearsome Foursome. :)

pehawk

Reaction score
I disagree with any assertion York is a good owner. He got his cash cow he'll revert back to himself, shortly. At least, IMO.

I DONT want the Rams to go to LA for selfish reasons. The Seahawks are the only team in the NFCW with consistently good ownership, IMO. It's an advantage over the long haul, and will remain so. I think a move to LA will really stabilize and help the Rams...and I kind of like them where they are; pesky, moustached, lil underdogs.

(Nice to see you're still around Marvin49...also nice to see your bucking pehawk's sterotype that 49er fans can only discuss the 49ers).

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":89ml3hn2 said:
I'm really not a fan of NFL teams sharing stadiums. It screws over scheduling for other teams.

Sharing with other NFL teams or sharing with another professional sport?

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":1zxn549s said:
I disagree with any assertion York is a good owner. He got his cash cow he'll revert back to himself, shortly. At least, IMO.

I DONT want the Rams to go to LA for selfish reasons. The Seahawks are the only team in the NFCW with consistently good ownership, IMO. It's an advantage over the long haul, and will remain so. I think a move to LA will really stabilize and help the Rams...and I kind of like them where they are; pesky, moustached, lil underdogs.

(Nice to see you're still around Marvin49...also nice to see your bucking pehawk's sterotype that 49er fans can only discuss the 49ers).

LOL.

In regards to York...I'd agree with you if you were talking about JOHN York. I think you are way off in regards to Jed. He didn't just get the stadium built, he took the reigns and turned the entire team around. Much more like his uncle Eddie...and I know peeps around here don't like Eddie much either.

LOL in regards to them going to LA. I'm not saying I want them there, but it does seem to make a lot of sense for those two teams to move. Does make me wonder what happens to the Chargers tho.

EDIT: And BTW...my assertion wasn't that Jed was a great owner (tho I think he is). I was more saying that Jed was willing to get his hands dirty and work to get the stadium built while Mark Davis wants everything put before him on a Silver Platter.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1barwztf said:
I'm really not a fan of NFL teams sharing stadiums. It screws over scheduling for other teams.

I agree...but with the prices to build anything in those markets...it is understandable.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":307nrf2g said:
LOL in regards to them going to LA. I'm not saying I want them there, but it does seem to make a lot of sense for those two teams to move. Does make me wonder what happens to the Chargers tho.

My sources tell me the Chargers are moving to Tijuana.

I have strong reason to believe that the Raiders would make the move South because the governor of California called the league saying it would be best for the state and the country not to have a large concentration of douche bag fan bases in one metropolitan area. Too much failure in one region is not economically viable.

Kidding aside and for selfish reasons I do hope the Rams move to LA. That will give me a game to go to every year. Plus I hope that if it is true they do not reshuffle the divisions.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rastahawk":2w0t213t said:
Marvin49":2w0t213t said:

I have strong reason to believe that the Raiders would make the move South because the governor of California called the league saying it would be best for the state and the country not to have a large concentration of douche bag fan bases in one metropolitan area. Too much failure in one region is not economically viable.

Kidding aside and for selfish reasons I do hope the Rams move to LA. That will give me a game to go to every year. Plus I hope that if it is true they do not reshuffle the divisions.

If these are the teams that move, there would be no reason to shuffle the divisions.

The only reason they might do so is if its the Raiders and Chargers (two AFC teams) so one would have to switch to the NFC forcing another team to switch to the AFC.

I saw a report awhile back that said in that case it would likely be the Raiders moving into the NFC West and Seattle going back to the AFC West.

I highly, highly doubt that will happen tho. I think its kinda a done deal with the Rams...the question is Raiders or Chargers. Just my opinion tho.

Jville

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":me6g3gvu said:

It punishes teams that carry their own weight and rewards those that don't. That is exactly the opposite of what I think is fair and appropriate.

rastahawk

Reaction score
I would love to be in the same division as the Raiders again! Hell I'll trade them for the Rams. But as you say Marv it would have to be a case where the two teams are currently in the same division.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rastahawk":3preyyat said:
I would love to be in the same division as the Raiders again! Hell I'll trade them for the Rams. But as you say Marv it would have to be a case where the two teams are currently in the same division.

Right...but if the Raiders moved into the NFC West, it would likely be Seattle moving out of it based simply on their history in the AFC West. Niners, Cards, and Rams have no AFC history. Plus... I read it would likely be Seattle. :D

Again...I don't see this happening at all because I think the Rams will be one of those teams and that would require no realignment. Niners-Seattle has also become a huge rivalry so I don't think NFL would be in any hurry to break it up.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":27rm9vtk said:
Sharing with other NFL teams or sharing with another professional sport?
Other NFL teams. Other sports don't affect NFL scheduling to that great of a degree, comparatively. (That being said, I'm not a fan of baseball playing on the same field as football because you need inherently different surfaces; but that's a separate discussion.)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Well this is odd...

I'm not an LA resident but got this email just a bit ago...

"Dear Los Angeles Area Resident:

We are writing to you as a valued member of the community seeking your feedback as we consider the potential of an NFL team in the Los Angeles area.

Conventions, Sports & Leisure International, a sports facility planning and advisory firm located in Plano, Texas, is currently conducting a market feasibility study to determine the potential support for an NFL team in the Los Angeles area.

As part of the study efforts, your participation in this survey is very important to us so that informed decisions can be made regarding a potential new NFL team that will call the Los Angeles area home (survey instructions provided below).
The Los Angeles area has a rich and storied history with the NFL that dates back to the 1940s, and continues to be at the forefront of potential relocation markets. At this point no decisions have been made regarding the future of the NFL in the Los Angeles area. We are, however, actively assessing the potential of the Los Angeles area to serve as the home of an NFL team, while paying particular attention to providing a unique and exciting experience for fans and the corporate community alike.

As an important member of the community, your opinion is valuable. Please click on the link below to access the Los Angeles NFL survey.

CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY

Thank you in advance for your participation!

If you have any issues accessing the survey, please contact us here."

mikeak

Reaction score
rastahawk":3m7odwjd said:
Marvin49":3m7odwjd said:

This would be really bad. Local residents would kidnap visiting players before every home game ensuring an 8-0 record every year for the Tijuana Pot and Crack smokers.

On the good news side people would stop talking about the loud Centurylink stadium being an unfair advantage.....

RedAlice

Reaction score
Missouri Gov Nixon is holding a press conference call today regarding the Rams.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner 16m16 minutes ago
Nixon: "I am committed to ensuring that St. Louis can remain an NFL city but at the same time we need to make sure taxpayers are protected

He has appointed a task force to look at stadium options with a report due in 60 days. Rams leaase is up on Jan 28th and then they can go year to year.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner 6m6 minutes ago
Nixon: "Let's be honest, these deals can be complicated." Stressing need for private sector investment and provable return for the region.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner 5m5 minutes ago
Main takeaway obviously is the Jan. 28 deadline along with the appointment of Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz to present possible options.

----

Yesterday, the NY Times published an article saying St. Louis is making efforts.

Wary of Losing Rams, St. Louis Is Set to Huddle on Stadium

To that end, Gov. Jay Nixon of Missouri, who has insisted that St. Louis should remain an N.F.L. city, is expected this week to appoint a task force of local leaders whose charge will be to work with the Rams, government officials and business leaders on a plan for a new football stadium in St. Louis. By engaging the Rams in conversations about a stadium, the group hopes to prevent St. Louis from losing its second N.F.L. team in a quarter-century.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/sp ... rrer=&_r=2