2014 Seattle Mariners

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Tical21":2wawczw2 said:
Sadly, we need to start over on offense....again. Zunino looks like a keeper. I think Seager is a nice average to above average player. Besides them and Cano, every position on the team needs to be upgraded. Pitching hopefully comes around, but the big 3 haven't exactly shown the ability to stay healthy, becoming alarming.

I would add Ackley and Miller to that list as well but that's still not very good. Smoak can show signs of being good but the slumps outweigh the hot streaks. Miller has good to great defense and should hit plenty well for the position. Ackley fixed his problem with his swing where he was bailing and has been good ever since.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Our current ownership is why it makes it so difficult to have hope as an M's fan.

McG

Reaction score
Being a Mariners fan for the last 3 decades has been a brutal existence with a few slight rays of hope here and there. The ownership and FO has been horrible, aside from Gillick. It really does SUCK being a Mariners fan, it's a real shit show.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
McG":1l85bvom said:
Being a Mariners fan for the last 3 decades has been a brutal existence with a few slight rays of hope here and there. The ownership and FO has been horrible, aside from Gillick. It really does SUCK being a Mariners fan, it's a real shit show.

Its tough, and this is a bad stretch... but on a positive we are only 3 blown saves away from being 10-8. I think we'd still be a fairly positive bunch if we were, even though the same questions would remain.

Whats nauseating is we just dont know where this could go yet. 7-11, and we could quickly get back on track. or 7-11 and this could spiral down quickly.

We need a good series against Houston. Felix needs to pitch us to a win and see if we can get back on track. Most to nearly all teams wil have a 7-11 stretch at some point this season. (maybe not 6 game losing streaks, but you know what I mean).We just need to roll out a winning record over the next 2-3 series, get some pitching back and hope the hitting comes around. This team was always destined for just above or below .500.

The one difference I feel with Mclendon is he doesnt seem shy about changing things around. We've already seen some players take to the bench after some inconsistent play.

Tical21

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1skwwzkk said:
Tical21":1skwwzkk said:
Sadly, we need to start over on offense....again. Zunino looks like a keeper. I think Seager is a nice average to above average player. Besides them and Cano, every position on the team needs to be upgraded. Pitching hopefully comes around, but the big 3 haven't exactly shown the ability to stay healthy, becoming alarming.

I would add Ackley and Miller to that list as well but that's still not very good. Smoak can show signs of being good but the slumps outweigh the hot streaks. Miller has good to great defense and should hit plenty well for the position. Ackley fixed his problem with his swing where he was bailing and has been good ever since.
I wouldnt. Ackley is hitting .279 with one HR, 1 SB and a .308 OBP. Is a below average to subpar defensive outfielder, and might have the worst outfield throwing arm in the MLB. No pop, no speed, no defense. Name another team in the MLB that would take that from a corner outfielder.

Miller is hitting .194 with a .237 OBP, 0 SB, which you could take from a golf-glove SS, but that isn't what he is. You MIGHT be able to find another team desperate enough at SS to play him because of the pop in his bat, but I would be very hard pressed to name one.

I know they're young, and I actually like both players, but I think realistically the best that you're hoping for out of either one of them is that they can become average for their position. That might be okay if your other 7 guys in the lineup are productive and they're your worst two, but that isn't going to be the case here for a long time. If we ever want to be any better than mediocre, both will eventually need to be upgraded.

m0ng0

Reaction score
its a long season and once we get 3 of our 5 back in the rotation I think things will start to look up

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Wow.......you know we are in deep crap when Felix goes out and struggles.........long season ahead of us guys and gals because again, this team is TERRIBLE!

Oh and Paxton is out for 6-8 weeks now, while Walker is being shut down for an additional 2 weeks.

Storts

Reaction score
No idea how we managed to lose so many to this Mariner side, pretty annoying really.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
m0ng0":2c0fbx5j said:
its a long season and once we get 3 of our 5 back in the rotation I think things will start to look up

it just may be a long look up, thats the problem.

oh well.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The shame is that we're wasting one of Cano's few prime years remaining. Blargh.

The pitching injuries are just a whole lot of bad luck between Kuma, Paxton, and Walker, but that doesn't make up for the fact that the offense is STILL garbage. Why Jack Z thought that getting a bunch of 1B/DH guys was a viable plan, I still don't know.

amill87

Reaction score
Well Shannon Drayer just said that the pitching will be getting better soon! Walker and Paxton will be back soon!

We're ok, we got nothing to worry about this team is totally different. Just call the post game show and they will tell you this isn't the same team and hang up on you.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
amill87":ebfnpgvs said:
Well Shannon Drayer just said that the pitching will be getting better soon! Walker and Paxton will be back soon!

We're ok, we got nothing to worry about this team is totally different. Just call the post game show and they will tell you this isn't the same team and hang up on you.

Yesterday The M's released a statement saying that Paxton was out an additional 6-8 weeks, so how is that soon?

amill87

Reaction score
Blitzer88":28mx9kcy said:
amill87":28mx9kcy said:

Yesterday The M's released a statement saying that Paxton was out an additional 6-8 weeks, so how is that soon?

You just don't understand how baseball works.

(This is heavy sarcasm at Drayers constant attempts to polish a turd)

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I would like a link to the statement that Paxton is out "An additional 6-8 weeks." McClendon mentioned yesterday that Paxton would be out the originally planned 6-8 weeks, but it was also reported that Paxton will visit with team doctors on Wednesday and possibly be able to resume throwing at that point in time.