Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
1. Everything I say is hypebole nearly all the time (see what I did there)

2. A Trophy is a trophy. Supporters Shield matters, and will be celebrated.

3. We have won a playoff series before. We need to do it consistently.

4. Tomorrows match is about winning a trophy.

5. You are missing something. This team is about winning silverware. If we can win it, we want it. Supporters Shield is more important than you are making it.

6. League Scheduling. I don't know. I complained about this when the schedule came out. It's stupid....but has lead to some compelling story lines. The unbalanced schedule has created some seriously messed up crap. I would love it if we would play a balanced schedule. Home and Away of each team. Single Table. Top portion go to playoffs and some sort of wild card. If you are worried about too many fixtures, fine. Increase the salary cap and roster limits. 44 game season. That's a lot...but not ridiculous.

The Majority of fans rate the trophies as follows:

1. MLS Cup
2. CCL
3. Supporters Shield
4. National Trophy (US Open Cup/Canada Cup)
5. Regional Trophy (Cascadia, Rocky Mountain, and whatever NY, NE, and Philly play for)
6. Historical Trophy (Heritage Cup).

So, obviously you would disagree with that (as do I)....but that's generally the order its looked at.

tl;dr: If the club wants to consider itself elite in the MLS it has to win trophies. Period.

LA Galaxy have 4 Shields, 4 MLS Cups, 2 US Open Cups and one CCL Title
DC United have 4 Shields, 4 MLS Cups, 3 US Open Cups and one CCL Title

Gotta get on that level.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I look at that list and the one that matters is MLS cups, followed by US Open.

Nothing else really matters a ton. Sure it matters, its a trophy as you say. but no way is Saturdays game the biggest in the teams history. Just isn't.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ynopjkm said:

Nothing else really matters a ton. Sure it matters, its a trophy as you say. but no way is Saturdays game the biggest in the teams history. Just isn't.

Well, the captain of the team disagree's with you.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":33b6n4j3 said:

As a Brit i'd prefer to win the regular season outright, like any team in Europe would by being top of their league. Play offs are a bonus to me. Very much happy with a double if we get it. Treble would be out of this world.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3lf2p0c1 said:
Uncle Si":3lf2p0c1 said:

Well, the captain of the team disagree's with you.

Shocking the captain didn't come out and say the game wasn't a big deal...

Seriously though, what would you rather have...Supporters Shield or MLS Cup?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":n39bam5h said:
Uncle Si":n39bam5h said:

As a Brit i'd prefer to win the regular season outright, like any team in Europe would by being top of their league. Play offs are a bonus to me. Very much happy with a double if we get it. Treble would be out of this world.

If it was a single table..absolutely. But the league is set up for playoffs. Its set up for the MLS cup.

Rest is window dressing...like the other sports here.

Whatever though..be a nice trophy. Just not buying Smurfs "biggest game in team history"

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2xyw0bti said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2xyw0bti said:
Uncle Si":2xyw0bti said:

If it was a single table..absolutely. But the league is set up for playoffs. Its set up for the MLS cup.

Whatever though..be a nice trophy. Just not buying Smurfs "biggest game in team history"

I was regurgitating what Brad Evans said.

Anyway, its a big game. Trophy and what not. It's important.

As for Shield or Cup.

Yes.

Seabhac

Reaction score
In my opinion this Saturdays game IS THE BIGGEST game in Sounders history.
Since when has a game that decides that you are the best team in the league for the year is not the BIGGEST game of season so far. Yes, an MLS final would be more important due to the setup of the league/playoff system. But in years to come when the MLS adopts the same league setup as the rest of the world, finishing first this year will count as a championship.

This will be only the second time a Sounders game has been televised on a network nationally - Obviously somebody thinks its a big game.

But Uncle Si - You disagree - So I would ask you what HAS BEEN the most important game in Sounders MLS history if this is not? One of the playoff games- Timbers last year ? A US Open cup ?

Actually - never mind, don't bother answering- nobody cares what you think!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jliikmu said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1jliikmu said:
Uncle Si":1jliikmu said:

What has been the teams biggest game then? This is the biggest so far unless we ever make the MLS cup final or a CL final.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":26m6af4j said:
Uncle Si":26m6af4j said:
Glasgow Seahawk":26m6af4j said:
Uncle Si":26m6af4j said:

What has been the teams biggest game then? This is the biggest so far unless we ever make the MLS cup final or a CL final.

I would argue that any playoff game leading to what has been established as the leagues ultimate goal would be a "bigger" game

Seriously. Not saying its not big. Just biggest? I dont tjink it absurd to suggest that this isnt Europe and the Cup final is billed as the ultimate goal.
The Seahawks get NFC West banners when they win..but you know...Super Bowl

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":1uuz0k5v said:
In my opinion this Saturdays game IS THE BIGGEST game in Sounders history.
Since when has a game that decides that you are the best team in the league for the year is not the BIGGEST game of season so far. Yes, an MLS final would be more important due to the setup of the league/playoff system. But in years to come when the MLS adopts the same league setup as the rest of the world, finishing first this year will count as a championship.

This will be only the second time a Sounders game has been televised on a network nationally - Obviously somebody thinks its a big game.

But Uncle Si - You disagree - So I would ask you what HAS BEEN the most important game in Sounders MLS history if this is not? One of the playoff games- Timbers last year ? A US Open cup ?

Actually - never mind, don't bother answering- nobody cares what you think!

Mom let you back on the internet again i see. Come on man.

You contradict yourself a handful of times here...plus the Sounders are routinely shown on ESPN...

If a single table format is adopted then obviously it becomes the biggest goal because their is no playoff.

But their is a playoff. And like the NFL, NBA etc that playoff is the ultimate goal.

Its a big game. Biggest? I watched this club play in NASL playoffs in the 80s.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It is a huge game. However, I don't think it's the biggest game for the Sounders. Right now I believe the biggest games for the Sounders (historically) are when they were back in the NASL. They were in in the Soccer Bowl twice. Once in 1977 (Pele's last game) which they lost to the Cosmos 2-1 and again in 1982 against the Cosmos which they lost 1-0. Those both were league championship games. So believe those were the two biggest. Now if they go to the MLS Cup, that would certainly be in the argument as well. With this said, just because it may not be the biggest game, it doesn't demean the importance of this game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
To be clear..i never said it wasnt a big game. Just disagreed (as a fan of this club since 1978) that its their "biggest game"

In the end, doesnt matter. Be fun either way. But winning Saturday and falling short of an MLS cup final appearance seems a failure to me given the years invested by the club in being a top club.

I can certainly respect Glasgows feelings on the table...but the sports success has always been about the playoff finale..since the NASL.

The MLS hss done a great job setting up all these different challenges/trophies. For me (just me apparently) the MLS Cup needs to be the ultimate goal. Therefore, for me, every game the team plays AFTER Saturday would be "bigger"

When it goes to single table then ill buy into the supporters shield as the ultimate goal

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Apologies, I was referring to the MLS version Sounders only, rather than NASL as well. The Soccer Bowl is probably their biggest all round but was before my time. I still maintain it's the MLS Sounders biggest game so far though.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
We are sounders.

The goal is to win everything

When we don't, its failure.

If we have a game to win a trophy, we win or we fail.

Tomorrow we win another trophy and then focus on playoffs.

Tomorrow is the biggest game thus far this season....and then the playoffs are.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":18ouu6vr said:
Apologies, I was referring to the MLS version Sounders only, rather than NASL as well. The Soccer Bowl is probably their biggest all round but was before my time. I still maintain it's the MLS Sounders biggest game so far though.

I think the common point here is for the MLS to do away with these silly playoffs and adopt a one table format. (or... keep the playoffs as sort of an MLS Champs league if they must have a "post season" but keep the single table format and properly crown the winner)

Truth be told.. the club is far bigger now than it ever was during the NASL days. (as is the sport) Whatever is bigger now is far more important to the team's history (although I remember watching both those games as a kid, and being rightly upset about losing them...I think)

either way, a matter of perspective. I guess the one reason this is even a discussion topic is the draw of the sport here... you have the very American nature of post seasons and championship games mixed with the very traditional and popular single table regular season champion of the European leagues sort of meshing together.... which is good.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I would love to see a single table. They can continue the MLS Cup as a post-season tournament of the top 8 teams in the table.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3q1b7qas said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3q1b7qas said:

I think the common point here is for the MLS to do away with these silly playoffs and adopt a one table format. (or... keep the playoffs as sort of an MLS Champs league if they must have a "post season" but keep the single table format and properly crown the winner)

Truth be told.. the club is far bigger now than it ever was during the NASL days. (as is the sport) Whatever is bigger now is far more important to the team's history (although I remember watching both those games as a kid, and being rightly upset about losing them...I think)

either way, a matter of perspective. I guess the one reason this is even a discussion topic is the draw of the sport here... you have the very American nature of post seasons and championship games mixed with the very traditional and popular single table regular season champion of the European leagues sort of meshing together.... which is good.

Good points. I just don't see it happening though, same with relegation. It keeps fans of mid table teams interested by aiming for that play off spot, if they start turning their form around late in the season. I don't think the league is quite strong enough yet for a mid table team to have nothing to aim for. However, the play off final does seem anti climatic, compared to other American sports. It should be one final, not two legs like the Superbowl. The World Series is also anti climatic for me for the same reason unless it's game 7 (although if the Mariners made it, it probably would be exciting regardless)

It just bugs me when a team like Houston can be pretty average all regular season but squeak into the play offs and get hot at the right time in the play offs. The fact they weren't the best team over the course but are regarded as champions kind of bugs me.

A separate play off tournament does sound intriguing though.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Anyway, i've never wanted the Sounders to gain a single point so bad as I do on Saturday!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Speaking of which does anyone think the names Supporters Shield and MLS cup sound lame as hell. Surely they should call it regular season championship and MLS Championship? At least for tv marketing purposes. Supporters shield just sounds lame and unimportant, MLS Cup makes it sound just like any other cup. A little bit of marketing goes a long way.