Seabhac":3t3hvmjl said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/daltondullaghan/status/544784547616145408[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/544773875104747520[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MattJoSwa/status/544773058373111809[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/paulwax7/status/544801714810150912[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/YouBoysInGreen/status/544778429972094976[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FM104/status/544765394184327168[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikillPane/status/544796217050689536[/tweet]

Oh yeah, that's fair, single out the absolute only blemish on his career.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3fuv9h58 said:

Im a huge Henry fan, Gate.

But that was a calamity. I do wonder if it becomes his legacy.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":1r10gx9z said:
related, but not really. Ill be in the UK April 8th-24th. Already have tickets for the Newcastle match and working on some others. I will be buying one of those half and half scarves from every match I attend. Direct all your hate mail to 1423 IDGAF Street.

Awesome! If, for whatever reason you find yourself Bristol-way PM me to organise hooking up for a pint or two.

I'm waiting til the NFL schedule comes out in April to book our US trip (and subsequent relocation to NZ) for next September-November.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It's almost time for the Winter Transfer Window. QPR desperately need help in the attack for Charlie Austin (they also need help in the back, but let's not get too greedy). One report has them getting Peter Crouch from Stoke and Cristian Rodriguez on loan from Atletico Madrid. I'm familiar with Crouch, but can anyone tell me about Rodriguez?

Seabhac

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13fc0smc said:
Gatehawk":13fc0smc said:

English Press has never left Diego Maradona "Hand of God" go - But Henry gets a pass?
Not even mentioned in the career highlights?

Not that he wasn't a fantastic player - He was (at Arsenal at least)
But he was also a cheat.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":2zrprkuq said:
Uncle Si":2zrprkuq said:
Gatehawk":2zrprkuq said:

English Press has never left Diego Maradona "Hand of God" go - But Henry gets a pass?
Not even mentioned in the career highlights?

Not that he wasn't a fantastic player - He was (at Arsenal at least)
But he was also a cheat.

he certainly wasnt getting a pass the other day. of all the press I saw on his retirement, the only highlights i saw that werent Red Bulls goals (albeit this was American media) was the handball.

The English press is cancerous, akin to American tabloids. I imagine he was getting his fair amount of s--- there as well?

but i agree. that was a low, low moment. he probably doesnt care much, but i think it sticks as a major "highlight" of his legacy

Nog

Reaction score
Just a reminder Henry never denied the handball. Maradona did. Yet, one of them is still considered as football's god.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":23gqqfri said:
Just a reminder Henry never denied the handball. Maradona did. Yet, one of them is still considered as football's god.

the world didnt have the level of photographic and video technologies as it does now. Henry had no choice but to admit he cheated.

plus, Maradona gives this many f---s about what we all think...... ..............

anyways, cant compare the two. Maradona was a football god. Henry was "just" an extraordinary player. My favorite Arsenal player outside of Bergkamp (actually, those are the only two i cared for... f--- Arsenal)

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ocphelm said:
the world didnt have the level of photographic and video technologies as it does now. Henry had no choice but to admit he cheated.

plus, Maradona gives this many f---s about what we all think...... ..............

anyways, cant compare the two. Maradona was a football god. Henry was "just" an extraordinary player. My favorite Arsenal player outside of Bergkamp (actually, those are the only two i cared for... f--- Arsenal)
Though, the world did clearly see his handball... You can go and look at on every highlights available from this time period. You could see this notorious "hand of god" from every angles. Still, Maradona denied it... And even right now, he still does! I do agree that we can't compare those players and put them on the same level. However, the treatment that Henry received was absolutely unfair considering his career.

Finally, I found this whole lynching process from mainstream media (all around the world because that was pretty much the same in France) really laughable when I remembered the way that Ireland was qualified for this playoff match.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Nog":3gl75p6x said:
Uncle Si":3gl75p6x said:

Though, the world did clearly see his handball... You can go and look at on every highlights available from this time period. You could this notorious "hand of god" from every angles. Still, Maradona denied it... And even right now, he still does! I do agree that we can't compare those players and put them on the same level. However, the treatment that Henry received was absolutely unfair considering his career.

Finally, I found this whole lynching process from mainstream media (all around the world because that was pretty much the same in France) really laughable when I remembered the way that Ireland was qualified for this playoff match.

So what you are saying is that Henry should be forgiven because it was 'only' Ireland?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":2jxam3zk said:
Nog":2jxam3zk said:
Uncle Si":2jxam3zk said:

Though, the world did clearly see his handball... You can go and look at on every highlights available from this time period. You could this notorious "hand of god" from every angles. Still, Maradona denied it... And even right now, he still does! I do agree that we can't compare those players and put them on the same level. However, the treatment that Henry received was absolutely unfair considering his career.

So what you are saying is that Henry should be forgiven because it was 'only' Ireland?

i think what hes saying is that he should be forgiven because Maradona got away with it...

Nog

Reaction score
Seabhac":2twsr6eq said:
Nog":2twsr6eq said:
Uncle Si":2twsr6eq said:

I think you've got no idea what I am talking about. Let me educate you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQiaAt ... freload=10

That was the same qualifier. Same World Cup ;)

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2rlyxbf7 said:
i think what hes saying is that he should be forgiven because Maradona got away with it...
Absolutely not. I'm just saying that there are a lot of cheaters in Sports. Henry was pounded just because he is French.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":1yvs2eno said:
Uncle Si":1yvs2eno said:
Absolutely not. I'm just saying that there are a lot of cheaters in Sports. Henry was pounded just because he is French.

i dont believe that the case Nog. He was (rightfully) taken to task because his dishonesty led to a goal that knocked a team out of the world cup. As much as we celebrate Maradona, no conversation about him does not include the "Hand of God". Now, in England (media), they are a bit ethnocentric, i'll give you that, and tend to ignore the wrong doings of their compatriots while bemoaning the actions of the foreign players . Bruce's comments hold true. But Henry's actions were pretty heavily frowned on by the French as well, no?

Its a bit off topic, but it would be a relief to see FIFA and its governing bodies employ a simple review system and post match fines for diving and other incidences. While handballs like Henry's are rare, the diving is just getting absurd.

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3cjv3iax said:
Nog":3cjv3iax said:
Uncle Si":3cjv3iax said:

i dont believe that the case Nog. He was (rightfully) taken to task because his dishonesty led to a goal that knocked a team out of the world cup. As much as we celebrate Maradona, no conversation about him does not include the "Hand of God". Now, in England (media), they are a bit ethnocentric, i'll give you that, and tend to ignore the wrong doings of their compatriots while bemoaning the actions of the foreign players . Bruce's comments hold true. But Henry's actions were pretty heavily frowned on by the French as well, no?

Its a bit off topic, but it would be a relief to see FIFA and its governing bodies employ a simple review system and post match fines for diving and other incidences. While handballs like Henry's are rare, the diving is just getting absurd.
Henry was blasted in the French National team after this. As I said before, the french's media went harsh on him (regarding his career, I feel like that was too much). You also got to know that Henry wasn't really beloved even before. I'm not trying to make a case that Henry did not cheat... I'm saying that Cheaters are everywhere in every sports.

Let me make an analogy. After Belichick retirement, what would you remember of him first? That was maybe one of the greatest head coach? Or that was a cheater? (Spygate controversies)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its a valid comparison, in a sense. The thing with Belichick is that SpyGate for the most part is considered kind of a joke. More like espionage ("oh, we're playing spies now") than cheating. But when he does retire, it will be brought up.

Cheaters suck. But Henry will be lauded by Arsenal fans (because they will f---ing celebrate anything Arsenal regardless of what it actually means) and the rest of us will remember him for being pretty damned good and a guy who screwed over Ireland, too.

you can have both in sports. I'd argue as a fan you better be willing to take the bad with the good or there is no point in supporting anything. (as a Liverpool fan, this is the only way to survive it.. and i know many of our UK brethren on here will quickly jump to the self induced victimization of that particular fan base, but I feel all of England does that anyways. so there)

Seabhac

Reaction score
Nog":333q5qs2 said:
Uncle Si":333q5qs2 said:

No .... he was not pounded because he is French. He was pounded because he cheated.

He's admitted it himself. Don't know why you are trying to defend him.
We are not talking about all the other cheaters in sports - just Henry. Not the Patriots / not other dubious calls from the same qualifying group. We are talking about Henry's crime in a "winner takes it all match" that destroyed the hopes of one nation and totally embarrassed another (to the point that their World Cup was a shambles)

My point in posting the tweets were:

1: Henry Just got a job at Sky Sports being paid more than Carragher and Neville (who are brilliant BTW )
2: Sky just done a special on Henry's career and the failed to mention "le hand of God"
3: Many of Skys viewers are Irish and they haven't forgotten - thus the outpouring

The English media always reference "the Hand of God" whenever Maradonas name comes up - despite the fact that in the same game Maradona was at his sublime best and Argentina were going to win that game anyway.

Two standards that's all.

On a personal note Le Hand of God cost me a trip to the South Africa World Cup , but saved me about $10,000 - that over the years I have been able to invest in Stubhub on Seahawks games. Ill wind that blows no good.