Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Smurf

Reaction score
Rafael Van Der Vaart has agreed to a deal with Sporting KC. He will transfer to the MLS club after his Hamburg deal expires on June 30th.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":ruwkgyxb said:
Rafael Van Der Vaart has agreed to a deal with Sporting KC. He will transfer to the MLS club after his Hamburg deal expires on June 30th.

Interesting... good player, good goal scorer. Kind of a Tierry Henry player.

Unfortunately, Xavi is off to Qatar and not the MLS.

In other Sporting news... Eric Palmer-Brown, the just turned 18 year old CB who is up with the U20 National team is soon to be off to Juventus (then loaned back).

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":23779j2w said:
Smurf":23779j2w said:

Interesting... good player, good goal scorer. Kind of a Tierry Henry player.

Unfortunately, Xavi is off to Qatar and not the MLS.

In other Sporting news... Eric Palmer-Brown, the just turned 18 year old CB who is up with the U20 National team is soon to be off to Juventus (then loaned back).

If like Van Der Vaart...He's always been a player I've enjoyed watching.

Shame about Xavi, but kind of saw it coming after NYCFC signed Mix...

Very cool news for Palmer-Brown. Biggest concern is minutes. Young US players need to get the minutes. I think the loan back to the states in HUGE for the development of the player.

Smurf

Reaction score
Dempsey has been ruled out for FCD this weekend, however Alonso and Mears are close to be returning. I wouldn't be shocked if both were in the 18 and saw some minutes. Marshall will start the game.

The 18 this weekend will be different from our usual. I would think we could see something like this:

CBInR6ZU8AEbpnB

Bench:
Perkins
Rose
Scott
Roldan
Remick
Alonso
Mears

I can easily see Rose, and Roldan getting starts...but I think Kovar played his way into the 11 on Tuesday night.

Smurf

Reaction score
razgriz737":3q7je3p2 said:
Wasn't able to catch any of the Tuesday friendly, but I did hear that Kovar had a great match.

Played the full 90, had both assists and was serving some excellent balls in. Kid see's his opportunity and is making the most of it.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sigi has indicated it will be a "young" group today...so it's possible we will see Kovar, Roldan and Fisher all get starts with Neagle and Oba up top.

18 Year old striker Victor Mansaray has also traveled with the club. This is pretty big deal. It likely means a spot in the 18 on the bench. It is also worth noting that S2 has a game tomorrow night at home...With a player that young the key is experience and getting him minutes...so if he's with the first team, he will probably get some time on the field.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That starting line up is brutal. Not much quality there. I'd take a draw right now. What must Kenny Cooper be thinking is he can't get in that line up?

Time to get rid of these club friendlies with Oba hurt. Dempsey shouldn't be getting picked for international friendlies either at his age, I can understand qualifiers but you ain't going to learn anything new about him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chad Barrett with Martins....ok
Chad Barrett with Dempsey...ok
Chad Barrett by himself....oh no!

The Sounders blew a great chance at 3 points. Dallas played with 10 men most of the match and the Sounders couldn't capitalize. Disappointing.

knownone

Reaction score
This game was hard to watch. The combination of Azira, Roldan, Rose, and Neagle was a disaster in the midfield. I love all of these guys individually, but wow do they make a lot of bone headed passes, or dribble themselves out of possession. I'm genuinely amazed we had as many chances as we did. It's unfortunate that Chad couldn't finish any of them. Honestly, can we start Mansaray next time?

The positives! Brad looked pretty damn comfortable and Zach Scott looked in form.

At the end of the day... I'll take a point on the road without Alonso, Dempsey, Pappa, Martins and Marshall.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1f4bhup2 said:
That starting line up is brutal. Not much quality there. I'd take a draw right now. What must Kenny Cooper be thinking is he can't get in that line up?

Time to get rid of these club friendlies with Oba hurt. Dempsey shouldn't be getting picked for international friendlies either at his age, I can understand qualifiers but you ain't going to learn anything new about him.

Kenny Cooper is not currently with the team. He is on an excused LOA. His future with the club is in question.

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":39ql9tn0 said:
This game was hard to watch. The combination of Azira, Roldan, Rose, and Neagle was a disaster in the midfield. I love all of these guys individually, but wow do they make a lot of bone headed passes, or dribble themselves out of possession. I'm genuinely amazed we had as many chances as we did. It's unfortunate that Chad couldn't finish any of them. Honestly, can we start Mansaray next time?

The positives! Brad looked pretty damn comfortable and Zach Scott looked in form.

At the end of the day... I'll take a point on the road without Alonso, Dempsey, Pappa, Martins and Marshall.

That. Right there. Highlighted. Only saving grace from this game. A point without 5 key players is always a positive.

Smurf

Reaction score
So, I had to close the store so I didn't get to watch the game until after I got home, so this is a bit late, and a hot take as I just saw the match.

I saw the line up. A 451 with Barrett as the target forward and face palmed. Honest to god.

IMO the game was a tactical FusterCluk.

No problems with the back 4. They did outstanding. Mears, Evans, Scott, Leo. All solid.

Roldan, Rose, Azira, Pineda, Neagle.....wow. Just wow. 4 natural center mids in a 5 person mid field. Only 1 of them is really an attack first type of player. The others are either defensive or Possession players.

Then we have Barrett up top all alone....with really only Neagle to run off of him....Wow.

Ok. That works....It is a tactical formation that will work....If Chad Barrett plays the most perfect game that Chad Barrett has ever played. His touch MUST be perfect, his finishing MUST be on point...if not, its just not going to work.

Barrett....did not play the best game he's ever played. His touch and hold up play was just awful. His finishing, atrocious. Had 2 SOLID opportunities....he put both of them wide left.

That line up is not a completely awful thing if you are on the road looking for a point...which is 100% what we were going for...and then 18 minutes in everything changed. we suddenly had 3 points for the taking...and we had one of the worst possible 11's on the pitch for that scenario....you had 2 goal scorers on the pitch, and a 6'4 CM....

As soon as the red happened (and it WAS a red) we should have shifted to a 442 and made subs at half. We needed more attacking talent.....and honestly, if you insist on playing Barrett and Rose....then why the hell is Aaron Kovar on the bench...You best crosser of the ball not named Tyrone Mears...and he's on the bench with your "air attackers" on the pitch. Just nuts.

Ugg. So frustrating with that.

Really loved everything after Victor Mansaray came on. injected life. We attacked. We went at em. He almost had a HUGE assist for us....Just solid D by FCD there.

I guess a point on the road missing your 5 best players isn't too bad...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":3v26tx7l said:
So, I had to close the store so I didn't get to watch the game until after I got home, so this is a bit late, and a hot take as I just saw the match.

I saw the line up. A 451 with Barrett as the target forward and face palmed. Honest to god.

IMO the game was a tactical FusterCluk.

No problems with the back 4. They did outstanding. Mears, Evans, Scott, Leo. All solid.

Roldan, Rose, Azira, Pineda, Neagle.....wow. Just wow. 4 natural center mids in a 5 person mid field. Only 1 of them is really an attack first type of player. The others are either defensive or Possession players.

Then we have Barrett up top all alone....with really only Neagle to run off of him....Wow.

Ok. That works....It is a tactical formation that will work....If Chad Barrett plays the most perfect game that Chad Barrett has ever played. His touch MUST be perfect, his finishing MUST be on point...if not, its just not going to work.

Barrett....did not play the best game he's ever played. His touch and hold up play was just awful. His finishing, atrocious. Had 2 SOLID opportunities....he put both of them wide left.

That line up is not a completely awful thing if you are on the road looking for a point...which is 100% what we were going for...and then 18 minutes in everything changed. we suddenly had 3 points for the taking...and we had one of the worst possible 11's on the pitch for that scenario....you had 2 goal scorers on the pitch, and a 6'4 CM....

As soon as the red happened (and it WAS a red) we should have shifted to a 442 and made subs at half. We needed more attacking talent.....and honestly, if you insist on playing Barrett and Rose....then why the hell is Aaron Kovar on the bench...You best crosser of the ball not named Tyrone Mears...and he's on the bench with your "air attackers" on the pitch. Just nuts.

Ugg. So frustrating with that.

Really loved everything after Victor Mansaray came on. injected life. We attacked. We went at em. He almost had a HUGE assist for us....Just solid D by FCD there.

I guess a point on the road missing your 5 best players isn't too bad...

Good post, spot on. I agree with all your points. To this day it befuddles me that Sigi refuses to make adjustments during games. If Perez and the starting left back for Dallas been able to play, this lineup wouldn't have even got a point. This is what frustrates me about Sigi the most. It seems he gives games away when he really doesn't need to. Why weren't Pappa, Marshall, and Martins available for the game? Do they need a break already in the 3rd week of the MLS season?

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2d1bd3lb said:
Good post, spot on. I agree with all your points. To this day it befuddles me that Sigi refuses to make adjustments during games. If Perez and the starting left back for Dallas been able to play, this lineup wouldn't have even got a point. This is what frustrates me about Sigi the most. It seems he gives games away when he really doesn't need to. Why weren't Pappa, Marshall, and Martins available for the game? Do they need a break already in the 3rd week of the MLS season?

Dempsey - National Team
Pappa - National Team
Martins - Didn't travel due to injury (Right leg, vs Tijuana)
Marshall - Didn't travel due to injury (Back, vs San Jose)
Alonso - Didn't travel due to injury (Groin, off season surgery)

I'm just a different type of person that Sigi. In terms of soccer I always want to be the attacking team. Regardless of circumstance. Sigi approaches things from a different view point....and thats probably for the best.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why is the MLS playing during the International break?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1szzt4fr said:

Cause Garber still thinks it's 1994 when the MLS didn't have any international quality players to care about stopping play for.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ul9lqgh said:
Uncle Si":1ul9lqgh said:

Cause Garber still thinks it's 1994 when the MLS didn't have any international quality players to care about stopping play for.

MLS fans are aware that this is stupid and immediately diminishes the legitimacy of league standings then?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":vevgxb68 said:
Sgt. Largent":vevgxb68 said:
Uncle Si":vevgxb68 said:

MLS fans are aware that this is stupid and immediately diminishes the legitimacy of league standings then?

I'd say a big percentage of MLS fans aren't even aware that there's an international break.

Is there any site that tracks how many MLS players go off to international duty? As much as I hate on Garber, my guess is he and the owners need a bigger number of international players to be on active rosters before they either cut down on matches or extend the season for an international break.