The official "I hate Gonzaga Basketball" Thread

JSeahawks

Reaction score
After watching the first 10 minutes of this game I understand the hatred. Uw doesn't belong on the same court as these guys. Man, gonzagas got a lot of big, skilled size.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This game is pretty much going as I expected. In a couple years UW will return the favor :D

Tical21

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2hifbvde said:
Tical21":2hifbvde said:
Hawkstorian":2hifbvde said:
How many Seahawk players are from Washington?

Your logic makes no sense. Every college and pro team nation wide recruits the best players they can get from wherever they can get them. Once those players are here, we root for them. Once they are done playing here, they usually leave.

Steve Largent lives in Oklahoma. Walter Jones lives in Alabama. They are still great Seahawks.
The pros is a different thing, and I have less than half of the amount of pride in the pro teams than I do in our college teams. With pros you know the deal. I actually was really upset with Sark for not recruiting our state either. Remember when getting accepted to your state college's athletic teams was a big deal? Money has ruined all of this. As a taxpayer, I would rather my tax dollars go towards the education of a kid from down the street than a 2nd tier athlete from California. When UW plays USC, it is basically just a "our kids from California can beat your kids from California" contest. How lame is that?

And Gonzaga takes it to a whole other level. They want to high-brow with their friends from Europe and Canada and treat the kids from Washington like they're second-class citizens. Kids from Washington just aren't "Gonzaga" material. I believe Universities should try to cultivate youth from their surrounding area, not shun them.
I think most 4 or 5* kids from Washington prefers playing in the Pac-12 that is why u rarely see them commit to Gonzaga.
Certainly true for some of them, but every year a couple of the biggest recruits in our state are very interested in staying home and going to Gonzaga. Every year.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Bwahaha. You wet siders just can't stand that Gonzaga has a better basketball program than UW

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":t00q4m5q said:
Hawk-Lock":t00q4m5q said:
This game is pretty much going as I expected. In a couple years UW will return the favor :D
Unlikely

Too hard to tell, but in a couple of years Gonzaga will no longer have Wiltjer, Karno and most likely Sabonis who I think will leave for the draft after this year. UW's heralded class of freshman will now all be juniors and they have the #7 ranked recuit coming in next year. If he stays past his freshman year, UW will easily be a tournament team in two years.

I don't know the Zags recruits, but there will be a fall off after this year when Wiltjer and Karnowski leave. If Sabonis leaves too, they will have to replace their 3 best players, and their 5 best players in the past two years (counting Pangos and Bell).

There is no doubt the Zags are the better program right now, and have been the past 5 years. But UW is on the upswing. Zags are peaking right now, but it will be downhill after this year even if they do have some nice recruits coming in.

Either way, this renewed 4 year series between UW and Gonzaga will be fun to watch.

PS I hope A&M or Texas beats the snot out of the Zags tomorrow on Thanksgiving :D

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":bwhmusll said:
hawksfansinceday1":bwhmusll said:
Hawk-Lock":bwhmusll said:
Unlikely

Too hard to tell, but in a couple of years Gonzaga will no longer have Wiltjer, Karno and most likely Sabonis who I think will leave for the draft after this year. UW's heralded class of freshman will now all be juniors and they have the #7 ranked recuit coming in next year. If he stays past his freshman year, UW will easily be a tournament team in two years.

I don't know the Zags recruits, but there will be a fall off after this year when Wiltjer and Karnowski leave. If Sabonis leaves too, they will have to replace their 3 best players, and their 5 best players in the past two years (counting Pangos and Bell).

There is no doubt the Zags are the better program right now, and have been the past 5 years. But UW is on the upswing. Zags are peaking right now, but it will be downhill after this year even if they do have some nice recruits coming in.

Either way, this renewed 4 year series between UW and Gonzaga will be fun to watch.

PS I hope A&M or Texas beats the snot out of the Zags tomorrow on Thanksgiving :D

5 years? Compared to UW? Gonzaga has been the better team for a lot longer that that.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Basis4day":2uisfwjt said:
Hawk-Lock":2uisfwjt said:
hawksfansinceday1":2uisfwjt said:
Hawk-Lock":2uisfwjt said:
Unlikely

5 years? Compared to UW? Gonzaga has been the better team for a lot longer that that.
Make it 17 years

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":293dfjtw said:
hawksfansinceday1":293dfjtw said:
Hawk-Lock":293dfjtw said:
Unlikely

So, the dawgs recruiting class will make the a great team, but even if Gonzaga gets recruits that equal the talent of the players leaving they will still decline? Roger that. Sound logic there.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
And just to add, Gonzaga has been so dominant over uw for so long that uw literally quit playing them. They took their ball and went home.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Basis4day":15z6gb1b said:
Hawk-Lock":15z6gb1b said:
hawksfansinceday1":15z6gb1b said:
Hawk-Lock":15z6gb1b said:
Unlikely

From 2004-2010, there is not much difference between the two programs. Both have been in the to 25 plenty of years, both have made runs to the sweet 16. But beyond 2004, Zags all the way. UW never became basketball relevant until Romar. So I don't think it is that far fetched to say Zags and UW are on an equal playing level beyond 5 years.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3563n9cj said:
Hawk-Lock":3563n9cj said:
hawksfansinceday1":3563n9cj said:
Hawk-Lock":3563n9cj said:
Unlikely

So, the dawgs recruiting class will make the a great team, but even if Gonzaga gets recruits that equal the talent of the players leaving they will still decline? Roger that. Sound logic there.

Well seeing that UW had the #6 recruiting class this year, and is currently ranked as the #13th recruiting class for next year, while the Zags aren't in the top 25 for this year or next year, yes we are on the upswing and it is hard to argue the same for Gonzaga. Next year UW has the #7th ranked recruit, the Zags best recruit for next year is ranked #71. Those are facts. So yeah, it was sound logic in my previous post.

Now this is speculation on my part. Assuming the #6 recruiting class improves with age, along with next years heralded class, I would assume UW will be pretty good in a couple years. The Zags don't have much coming in this year or the next, add in Karnowski, Wiltjer and possibly Sabonis leaving, and the Zags will have a drop off. Of course they could get better, but anyone who knows college basketball will tell you that Gonzaga will be weaker next year. 95% of teams in any sport will fall off if they lose their top 2 or 3 players.

So yes, it's sound logic.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Currently ranked 13th by who? I just pulled a ranking that had next years Zags class at 12 and uw at 39. Rankings are subjective, not sound and vary from site to site. Your logic is flawed.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3k3a9nnw said:
Currently ranked 13th by who? I just pulled a ranking that had next years Zags class at 12 and uw at 39. Rankings are subjective, not sound and vary from site to site. Your logic is flawed.

Fair enough, they're subjective. I was using Scout.com.

I guess we just agree to disagree. Without a question, UW is on the upswing. This year is Romar's best class ever. Romar's highest recruit is coming in next year as well.

Zags will always be a good steady program, but it's hard to ignore the losses next year. May I also say, it's easy to be steady when you play in that joke of a conference.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":ujqlbths said:
Bwahaha. You wet siders just can't stand that Gonzaga has a better basketball program than UW

Anyone who didn't think so is an idiot. Good game, zags.

Our UW is young, hopefully sticking together for a few more years.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":14t02v4b said:
So once UW thinks they're good enough to hang with the Zags will they then agree to resume the series?

They said during the game today that they've agreed to play for the next 4 years.