USMNT World Cup Qualifiers: Klinsmann out; Arenas in

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6v34gske said:
Grant Wahl's tweets are not manuals. Those aren't tangible or quantifiable.

Directors have tangible/quantifiable, specific and detailed goals/expectations and a platform. His only tangible expectation is that the USMNT makes world cups.

If you read the platform developed by Reyna and Klinsmann it is extremely specific and easy to follow at all levels. My academy knows what is expected of its players at each age group as directed by Reyna's curriculum (with some modifications set by Sporting).

lol, not the tweet themselves, I doubt 140 characters is enough space to lay out a complex soccer program building plan.

Wahl writes for SI, he's probably the best "expert" as far as who's had the most access to Gulati and Klinsmann over the years discussing this topic.

On these sort of abstract discussions Si, I usually defer to the smart people of soccer.............and just about everyone I've seen and read has said Gulati is as smart as it comes to leading the US Soccer Federation. Columbia, Buckness, USSF President, was the key to getting the pro women's league formed.

Also remember he's the figurehead on the WC committee trying to get the US another WC.

I have no idea if his "vision" has been laid out publicly, but knowing those type of credentials and Gulati's level of intelligence when it comes to soccer, I'm fairly certain he and Jurgen had more than enough conversations on where they wanted the program to go, and how to get there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I know who Grant Wahl is.

Thing is Sgt, Gulati has not outlined any specific platform for the development of US Soccer. That was done by Reyna and Klinsmann. It did not exist until Klinsmann came on board and Reyna was promoted. Gulati's only role in that was to hire Klinsmann. He has since fired him and replaced him with another coach, one who does not have a plan.

Again, I've seen the plan(s). We get them, with updates, regularly. It involves everything from formation to tactics to fitness, nutrition, skill set, development, organization and structure. it's immensely detailed.

I could care less about the rest of it. Gulati may be intelligent, but that is not an excuse for lacking vision. It was quite clear that he deferred to Klinsmann and only stepped in when there was an argument (MLS players, promotion/relegation).

No one at the academy level that I have spoken with (and that is from coaches to directors and even players across the midwest) is particular pleased with Gulati or the interference of the USSF. Take that for what it's worth. I trust the people working in the system.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2f948uv9 said:
I know who Grant Wahl is.

Thing is Sgt, Gulati has not outlined any specific platform for the development of US Soccer. That was done by Reyna and Klinsmann. It did not exist until Klinsmann came on board and Reyna was promoted. Gulati's only role in that was to hire Klinsmann. He has since fired him and replaced him with another coach, one who does not have a plan.

Again, I've seen the plan(s). We get them, with updates, regularly. It involves everything from formation to tactics to fitness, nutrition, skill set, development, organization and structure. it's immensely detailed.

I could care less about the rest of it. Gulati may be intelligent, but that is not an excuse for lacking vision. It was quite clear that he deferred to Klinsmann and only stepped in when there was an argument (MLS players, promotion/relegation).

No one at the academy level that I have spoken with (and that is from coaches to directors and even players across the midwest) is particular pleased with Gulati or the interference of the USSF. Take that for what it's worth. I trust the people working in the system.

Wouldn't the logic follow Gulati was involved in the plans you received directly from Klinsmann and Reyna? Seems like that'd be the chain of command, or his general involvement.

So let's go this direction, what would you like to see as far as the vision of US soccer be. That seems like a more constructive conversation than chastising Gulati and me defending him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
If Gulati had been more than passively approving Klinsmann's plans that I suspect we would have seen something when Bradley was the coach. I think that's what I'm getting at here, Gulati's overall vision is bare bones and quantifiable only by results at the highest level. He deferred to someone with a dynamic, detailed plan moving forward. He seems more bureaucratic than visionary. His subsequent actions have shown he has no real interest in that plan.

I am so happy you asked about my vision for US soccer... but I will take some time on that one.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2tus3ip1 said:
I am so happy you asked about my vision for US soccer... but I will take some time on that one.

I await your soccer manifesto with baited breath!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gnzjvfr said:
Uncle Si":1gnzjvfr said:

I await your soccer manifesto with baited breath!

You're a GD liar... but I'm going to post it anyways!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Gulati and vision? Two words as far from each as you can get. Gulati has no vision, if he did Arenas would not even been considered. The state of USSF is in now is because of a lack of vision from it's main head. Gulati needs to go if USSF wants to move forward. I wouldn't object to having Klinsmann replacing Gulati as the USSF president. At least he has a vision and had started implementing it.