Zags 2016/2017 Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":iln1xi8c said:
I'd like to see Gonzaga win the championship just to find out how many folks still won't give them any credit.

If they win it all, I'll give them credit. And it's nothing wrong with them, they simply play who is matched up with them. It's not their fault Arizona choked away the game. I'm just saying they are very lucky to get the draw they got. I watch a ton of college hoops, Xavier isn't great. They got hot and went on a little run. SC got seeded in their home state for the first two games to get there. Florida is solid, but nothing that great.

Assuming they hold on here, tell me how this isn't a lucky draw.

6th best team from Big 10.
4th best team from the Big 12.
7th Best team from the Big East.

And that gets them to the final four. And the Big 10 was bad this year, so was the Big East with an exception to Nova.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
West Virginia was #6 in Ken Pomeroy so that was a hell of a win. Agreed Xavier isn't a great team but Gonzaga has earned everything this year.

We're going to foul out our entire team and still win.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags are really good, I'm not saying they aren't. I'm just saying they got a really easy path to the championship game. The right side of the bracket is much tougher than the side the Zags are on. Zags will cruise to the championship game IMO, whereas the winner of the right side of the bracket will have to go through a lot to get there. Look at Kentucky, they will have to go through Wichita, UCLA and UNC just to get to the final four. If I had to rank the remaining eight teams I'd rank it in this order....UNC, KU, Zags, Kentucky, Oregon, Florida, SC, Xavier. Nothing wrong with being lucky.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WOW! That was an absolute beat-down that the Zags just put on Xavier! Congratulations to Gonzaga -- they played a great game and are well deserving of a trip to the Final Four. Nice job and best of luck the rest of the way!!!

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Back in November we really had no idea if this team was going to be any good. Basically a bunch of transfers and freshmen and Karnowski coming off of back surgery. Amazing how everything that could go right has gone right.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I could care less if Hawk lock or anyone else wants to denigrate the Zags and their accomplishments. Incredible year and its not over. I think this Zag team can win it all.
I said before the game the Zags were primed to break out and have a great offensive game and boy did they. Zags would have beaten Arizona as well just like last time( and I doubt it would have been close) this team is really really good.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Congrats Zags on making the Final Four. Now make me a believer and win it all.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Man, been waiting for this for a long time. So happy for them boys. Go Zags!!!!

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1m793ri3 said:
Zags are so lucky.

Played the weakest 8/9 seed IMO.

WVU was good, I give them credit for that one.

They really lucked out playing Xavier. They're on a nice run, but they are a bubble team who is playing without one of their best players.

Then they get either Florida or South Carolina. Neither of those teams are final four material IMO. Both limped into the tourney.

You start to lose respect when your blatant bias shows. Oh so since they played Xavier that means it wasnt legit? They had to play ARZ to win your heart over? Yeah well they already did and beat them. Florida, SC, and Gonzaga don't deserve to be there, huh? Really? I guess all the double digit seeds who have ever got to the Final Four didn't deserve it either. They weren't "final four material". Why even play the games? Why even have the term underdog? Why practice? Lets just put all the 1 seeds straight to the Final Four. Oh wait, no, because if we did that, that would mean this year Gonzaga would STILL make the Final Four, and that's just unacceptable. That Mark Few guy? Psh he's just a lucky coach.

So what exactly is "final four material" to you, almighty basketball God? That's a rhetorical question, btw. Go to bed.

It's really saddening when a mid-major WCC team has sustained success over the past 15+ years and when they finally do break through, they are greeted with nothing but disrespect. Just shows you that more than sports here is at play. Big difference between not being a fan of a team and having a bias towards a team because of something political (perhaps?). You tell me.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Crizilla":1er8hmmd said:
Hawk-Lock":1er8hmmd said:
Zags are so lucky.

They really lucked out playing Xavier. They're on a nice run, but they are a bubble team who is playing without one of their best players.

Then they get either Florida or South Carolina. Neither of those teams are final four material IMO. Both limped into the tourney.

You start to lose respect when your blatant bias shows. Oh so since they played Xavier that means it wasnt legit? They had to play ARZ to win your heart over? Yeah well they already did and beat them. Florida, SC, and Gonzaga don't deserve to be there, huh? Really? I guess all the double digit seeds who have ever got to the Final Four didn't deserve it either. They weren't "final four material". Why even play the games? Why even have the term underdog? Why practice? Lets just put all the 1 seeds straight to the Final Four. Oh wait, no, because if we did that, that would mean this year Gonzaga would STILL make the Final Four, and that's just unacceptable. That Mark Few guy? Psh he's just a lucky coach.

So what exactly is "final four material" to you, almighty basketball God? That's a rhetorical question, btw. Go to bed.

It's really saddening when a mid-major WCC team has sustained success over the past 15+ years and when they finally do break through, they are greeted with nothing but disrespect. Just shows you that more than sports here is at play. Big difference between not being a fan of a team and having a bias towards a team because of something political (perhaps?). You tell me.

I will add that South Carolina team that isn't 'Final Four Material' (whatever that means) busted 7.3 million brackets when they beat Duke, who he would no doubt call 'Final Four Material'.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":u6syj6ki said:
Hawk-Lock":u6syj6ki said:
Zags are so lucky.

Did I say Gonzaga was bad? I've said many times in here that Gonzaga is a great team. All I said was they got a great draw. Weren't people on here complaining about the Patriots getting a cakewalk to the SB? Gonzaga got to play a 9 seed, a 4 seed and an 11 seed to get to the final four. That's the definition of a good draw. Sure, I probably am biased, but as someone who doesn't care much for Oregon or Gonzaga, it's day and night when you compare who they've played up to this point. I don't fault the Zags, they simply play who they're matched up against. If anything, more power to them for not having to play such a tough schedule to the Final Four.

Go to bed? Seriously?

To sum it up, Zags are good. They are Final Four material, but they got an easy path. More power to them.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
They played an 8 seed a 4 seed and an 11 seed that destroyed both a 6 and 3 seed and beat the almighty Arizona Wildcats. They played the highest seeds they could play till Xavier.

Their path was neither easy nor a given. They won not because of luck or an easy draw but because they are damn good.

You being a Husky fan have a really hard time seeing that let alone admitting it. Doesn't matter, they are in the final four with a chance to win it all. Regardles, whether or not jealous PAC 12 fans want to give them credit or not its been an incredible year.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2f9gccab said:
I'd like to see Gonzaga win the championship just to find out how many folks still won't give them any credit.

At least one that is right above you.

I am from Spokane and the wife and brother in law are alumni.

Go Zags.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2wqa4icd said:
South Carolina. Zags should breeze into the final.
I hope your right, but SC is the second best defensive team in the nation (behind Gonzaga) and another extremely tough nosed and scrappy team(much like WVU) that absolutely destroyed Duke whom everyone was calling the best team in the nation before the tourney got underway.
This post smells like another Pac 12 honk trying to denigrate the Zags much like Hawk lock. If they make the championship its because they will have earned it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
My wife wants a Bulldog hoodie.

That's saying something, even if y'all don't understand.

I worked for EZ loader for several years, drank beer in Jack&Dan's 2 or 3 nights a week.

Go Bulldogs

#screwthehaters

Crizilla

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2o2kxer7 said:
South Carolina. Zags should breeze into the final.

SC great defense but offense is ranked 179th. They are toward the bottom of the entire D1 in assists. Zags should win but it will be a grind fest. We all know defense usually wins chips.

Latest posts