US Mens Soccer

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1pn8kihn said:
Big news here is Pulisic at the #10. 18 years old and he had a goal, 2 assists, set up the first goal with a great run and shot (nonassists as the goal was in the rebound), drew two yellows and the foul that led to Dempseys free kick.

Typically plays wide at Dortmund. However, if he can be that impactful through the middle at this age his ceiling may eclipse that if any US player before him. Future is very bright for him. US needs to produce a true 6 to go with the attacking players coming through.

I honestly can't remember a player at this age turn on the ball and become so dangerous with so much pace and control.

This was exactly the kind of match the US needed, a confidence builder..........hell that was a cleanse.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I have been working with some players the last 6 months on prepping for college tryouts. We routinely watch clips of players, mostly like Hazard, Sanchez, even Lodeiro..

We have been spending more time on Pulisic lately. His skill off the ball is what makes him so, so special. He is unique in that he opens space with his runs instead of running into space to get a ball. It leaves the distributor so much more in terms of option and space. And you can see it in his passing. he is always looking to play balls into spaces for runners (Dempsey's two goals) instead of to feet.

Amazing vision and tactical understanding for an 18 year old (American)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1olr9tow said:
Big news here is Pulisic at the #10. 18 years old and he had a goal, 2 assists, set up the first goal with a great run and shot (nonassists as the goal was in the rebound), drew two yellows and the foul that led to Dempseys free kick.

Typically plays wide at Dortmund. However, if he can be that impactful through the middle at this age his ceiling may eclipse that if any US player before him. Future is very bright for him. US needs to produce a true 6 to go with the attacking players coming through.

For the less knowledgeable, what's the 6 position? Would that be the end to end midfielder like Diego Chara plays for the Timbers?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1s0cuh2p said:
Uncle Si":1s0cuh2p said:

For the less knowledgeable, what's the 6 position? Would that be the end to end midfielder like Diego Chara plays for the Timbers?

I'm sorry I don't know who that is.. Alonso would be (or was for some time) Seattle's equivalent.

... the 6 is the holding midfielder, who's primary responsibility is to provide a forward passing option for the Center backs, decide through distribution when the move goes from possession to attacking, support the attacking mids in the attack and fill in gaps between the CAMs and CBs when the ball is lost.

Some teams use this as an out and out Defensive Mid. I don't like that position, although Kante at Chelsea has me changing my mind. I'd prefer a technical player who can pick up the ball from the backs and start the team's move going forward. With a player like Pulisic constantly finding new spaces to run into, this position becomes effectively as important as the ball needs to move into those spaces (or away from, depending on how the D reacts).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Took the shine of 6-0... but that's a match they lose 3-0 6 months ago.

For all of my concerns with Arena (and there are plenty that he is living up to.. his comments on where Pulisic developed show how short sighted he really is and its a detriment to US soccer development) he does have the team better prepared. It certainly helps that Pulisic and Dempsey are playing at a high level right now (Pulisic's run and assist are tremendous, including the counter press)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":i2mptks5 said:
Took the shine of 6-0... but that's a match they lose 3-0 6 months ago.

For all of my concerns with Arena (and there are plenty that he is living up to.. his comments on where Pulisic developed show how short sighted he really is and its a detriment to US soccer development) he does have the team better prepared. It certainly helps that Pulisic and Dempsey are playing at a high level right now (Pulisic's run and assist are tremendous, including the counter press)

I'm OK with a draw, considering we were playing a quality Panama side at home fired up after a short week with a lot of veterans on the pitch who looked a little tired. You're right, this match was ripe for a let down match after the high of 6-0.

As far as Arena, he's done what I said he was going to do months ago...........circle the wagons, shore up the formations and give each player a clear and concise role to help stabilize all those horrible out of position and confusion about who was marking who, and who was suppose to do what.

Bottom line, I like our chances going into June against T&T and Mexico. Get 4 pts out of that and we should be through.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Tim Ream was a liability in that first half. He ultimately didn't mark Gomez and gave up the goal. How do you let a guy get past you like that on a throw-in? Absolutely ridiculous.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Those are some ugly kits the USMNT is wearing tonight for the World Cup Qualifying....yikes.
Usa today 100928280

The pic is not from tonight's match but the kit worn is the same.

So far the US is ahead 2-0....so far so good!

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3mvzznm1 said:
Christian Pulusic...
Quite a few of the younger guys looked good tonight. Pulisic, Yedlin, Nagbe, Brooks. Although watching former Sounder Yedlin struggle a bit when defending current Sounder Joevin Jones was interesting.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3kqrfmce said:
Those are some ugly kits the USMNT is wearing tonight for the World Cup Qualifying....yikes.
Usa today 100928280

The pic is not from tonight's match but the kit worn is the same.

So far the US is ahead 2-0....so far so good!
I kinda want them to bring back the Bomb Pop kits.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":h6097qnq said:
Uncle Si":h6097qnq said:
Christian Pulusic...
Quite a few of the younger guys looked good tonight. Pulisic, Yedlin, Nagbe, Brooks. Although watching former Sounder Yedlin struggle a bit when defending current Sounder Joevin Jones was interesting.

Nagbe and Villafaña looked good (for you Timber fans).

But Pulisic is at another level than any American I've seen since Dempsey was rampaging with Fulham years ago... and at 18. His 2nd goal last night was a fantastic bit of quality that many may not even appreciate in terms of difficulty.

He's just better in nearly every way than the rest of this squad. He gets "it" (a very difficult concept to understand and one Americans struggle with) in a way I don't remember Donovan or Dempsey every doing.

I'll give an example... was watching a Dortmund highlight a couple months ago. It was a Dembele highlight. Kid picks the ball up off a defended corner around the edge of the circle and begins what will become a 70 yard run. Glides through the center circle then sharply directs his run to the right with a hard diagonal touch, picking up a lot of pace as he runs at the right side of the D. Ends with him laying a pass off for Emre Mor who fires at the keeper from 12 out.

Where is Pulisic in this? He started off on the right, out of the picture. As Dembele starts to slow his run down around the center circle Pulisic blazes into your screen, crossing in behind Dembele and making a truly lung busting 100 yard sprint into the left channel. The defenders sway and this is when Dembele sharpens his run into the right. Mor runs into the channel that with most any other player would already be filled, limiting Dembele's option to one half the field. Pulisic, 18 years old, makes that run with little hope of getting the ball. But without, no shot from Mor. No run from Dembele. Its why he's an integral part of one of the better teams in the world and I think might be the first American to be subject to a high transfer fee to one of the bigger (in terms of global branding) clubs in the world (say an Arsenal, United or Liverpool) and may just skip that level to a Real Madrid or Barca.

I watch (and coach) alot (alot) of this game. Pulisic is extremely special. They hype on him is real and as fans of American soccer we should all enjoy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3d15dmir said:
I kinda want them to bring back the Bomb Pop kits.

I have that kit, I call it my 4th of July uniform.

Nice result last night, but I'm worried about our defense..........if we allow that kind of penetration on the counter against Mexico, they're going to carve us up.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3vevn0gt said:

But Pulisic is at another level than any American I've seen since Dempsey was rampaging with Fulham years ago... and at 18. His 2nd goal last night was a fantastic bit of quality that many may not even appreciate in terms of difficulty.

He's just better in nearly every way than the rest of this squad. He gets "it" (a very difficult concept to understand and one Americans struggle with) in a way I don't remember Donovan or Dempsey every doing.

I'll give an example... was watching a Dortmund highlight a couple months ago. It was a Dembele highlight. Kid picks the ball up off a defended corner around the edge of the circle and begins what will become a 70 yard run. Glides through the center circle then sharply directs his run to the right with a hard diagonal touch, picking up a lot of pace as he runs at the right side of the D. Ends with him laying a pass off for Emre Mor who fires at the keeper from 12 out.

Where is Pulisic in this? He started off on the right, out of the picture. As Dembele starts to slow his run down around the center circle Pulisic blazes into your screen, crossing in behind Dembele and making a truly lung busting 100 yard sprint into the left channel. The defenders sway and this is when Dembele sharpens his run into the right. Mor runs into the channel that with most any other player would already be filled, limiting Dembele's option to one half the field. Pulisic, 18 years old, makes that run with little hope of getting the ball. But without, no shot from Mor. No run from Dembele. Its why he's an integral part of one of the better teams in the world and I think might be the first American to be subject to a high transfer fee to one of the bigger (in terms of global branding) clubs in the world (say an Arsenal, United or Liverpool) and may just skip that level to a Real Madrid or Barca.

I watch (and coach) alot (alot) of this game. Pulisic is extremely special. They hype on him is real and as fans of American soccer we should all enjoy.

So at 18 years old, does he still have the ability to grow and improve quite a bit or in soccer is he pretty much what he will be? Does he have the ability to eventually be one of the global greats or his ceiling just being the best that America has to offer?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2edta0ke said:
So at 18 years old, does he still have the ability to grow and improve quite a bit or in soccer is he pretty much what he will be? Does he have the ability to eventually be one of the global greats or his ceiling just being the best that America has to offer?

Pulisic absolutely has room to grow, a LOT of room..........especially if he stays in the Bundesliga. There are also a ton of rumors flying around that Liverpool is after him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703 ... ic-rumours

Considering that's my favorite EPL club, that'd make me very happy to see Pulisic in that kit. :D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2vtk3lpv said:

His ceiling is not measurable. Hard to say if he reached that "world class" status, but the understanding of the game is there for him.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1muxdp1g said:
SeatownJay":1muxdp1g said:
Uncle Si":1muxdp1g said:
Christian Pulusic...

This. on point.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
USMNTs last 8 goals

Pulisic goal
Pulisic goal
Pulisic goal
Pulisic assist
Pulisic assist
Pulisic assist
Pulisic goal
Pulisic assist

Develop attacking,creative players and this is their impact. A fair reflection of the weakness in insisting on line drills and finding athletes to play roles that require more than physicality.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1oezy08k said:
USMNTs last 8 goals

Pulisic goal
Pulisic goal
Pulisic goal
Pulisic assist
Pulisic assist
Pulisic assist
Pulisic goal
Pulisic assist

Develop attacking,creative players and this is their impact. A fair reflection of the insistence on line drills and finding athletes to play roles that require more than physicality.

He is a product of Europen academy systems.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I mean sort of my point. If it was missed, US soccer training hasn't been very good at producing creativity. However, Pulisic played DA soccer here until he was 16. Dortmund the last two years.

So not quite "raised by Europe" but certainly a reflection of why soccer here can and should change.