Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3lu2vyfz said:
Now this is the Sounders team I've been wanting to watch all season.

Moving Morris to wing is working wonders. Nico, Morris, and Dempsey have all impacted this match. Plus, they are taking the pressure off the back line - which is without Marshall and Torres. Nice play so far. 45 minutes to go.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
In my past couple seasons of really following the Sounders closely, I always preferred Morris on the wing and making those slashing runs from there. I felt like early on this season, we'd depend too much on long balls that we expected Morris to use his speed to chase down, especially at points in games where everyone looked out of ideas on the attacking side of the field.

I much prefer having a big dude like Bruin at forward who can hold up play when necessary and letting our guys on the wings cause havoc from there between Lodeiro with his pinpoint passing and Morris with his ability to beat people with his speed. I don't think Shipp was cutting it out on the wing either, frankly. He seems like a guy you bring on with thirty minutes to go when you want to inject someone fresh for the purpose of attacking, not a guy who should be regularly starting for all ninety.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Much much better today. Well balanced up front with bruin there. 3 going on 5 or 6. LA look a shadow of previous sides.

Liked delam at rb and alfaro at cb.

Would keep that formation going forward.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
regardless of other clubs we struggle against, I LOVE that we've flipped the monkey on our back that was there for so long with the Galaxy..........now we own those fools.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lzzebmh said:
regardless of other clubs we struggle against, I LOVE that we've flipped the monkey on our back that was there for so long with the Galaxy..........now we own those fools.

They are 2 wins to 5 losses.

They are terrible

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":n54rrd2u said:
Sgt. Largent":n54rrd2u said:

They are terrible

Maybe Garber will figure out a way to get them 2-3 more DP's. Last year they had what, like 5?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3os2gw3i said:
Uncle Si":3os2gw3i said:
Sgt. Largent":3os2gw3i said:

They are terrible

Maybe Garber will figure out a way to get them 2-3 more DP's. Last year they had what, like 5?

They mentioned in the broadcast that Zlatan is likely to go to them. They need a better coach first though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2uum3o5v said:
Sgt. Largent":2uum3o5v said:
Uncle Si":2uum3o5v said:
Sgt. Largent":2uum3o5v said:

They are terrible

They mentioned in the broadcast that Zlatan is likely to go to them. They need a better coach first though.

Doubt it.

Not only does he now have a serious knee injury, which makes him almost impossible to move.........but he was Man U's leading scorer before getting hurt, so doubt they'd want to take a heavy discount on any transfer or loan due to the injury.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14krgl1y said:
Glasgow Seahawk":14krgl1y said:

Doubt it.

Not only does he now have a serious knee injury, which makes him almost impossible to move.........but he was Man U's leading scorer before getting hurt, so doubt they'd want to take a heavy discount on any transfer or loan due to the injury.

Zlatan only signed with United for this season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ikrxhbji said:
Sgt. Largent":ikrxhbji said:
Glasgow Seahawk":ikrxhbji said:

Doubt it.

Zlatan only signed with United for this season.

Man U did withdraw their contract offer for next year, but they also came out with a statement saying they're going to help him with his rehab.

So I guess he could sign with the Galaxy after the season? Not sure why the Galaxy would not only tie up a DP spot for a player that's not going to play again until next year, but pay him probably the highest DP salary in the MLS to come here and not play in 2017.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Just saying that as of now, Zlatan does not have a contract in the Summer. He could sign anywhere and it would not cost the club anything more than his wages (not taking into account whatever crazy rules the MLS has for signing DP players).

As of now, he is set to return in January. He could be ready by April, 2018

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3b3muun3 said:
knownone":3b3muun3 said:
I hope I'm wrong... but it's starting to look like everything I feared about the Brian Schemetzer hiring is coming true.

which was?
I got a bit of backlash last year when I was one of (or the only) person who didn't want to hire Schmetzer. Tactically I feel like Schmetzer is slightly above league average. He's the ideal person for the club off the field but on the field - It's hard for me to see much more than Sigi 2.0.

I haven't had a chance to really dig into the numbers yet but on the surface (talent wise) the Sounders should be a top 3 team in MLS. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle finished outside the top three in the west.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wow...just an unbelievable game for emotion....low to high. If anything is certain, the Seattle Sounders are one resilient team. I would have rather they won the game, but with all things considered, it was great to just get the point. This is the first time I've seen the Sounders attacking at will. I believe they had a record number of shots this game. Oddly, their attack got better when Morris left the game.

Morris and Bruin kept interfering with one another when they both were in the game. Morris needs to learn to finish better as well. There were a couple of times where he could have taken a shot but decided to pull up and play footsie with the ball. With that said, I hope he's okay and isn't setback for too long with his ankle injury.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I saw a Twitter post earlier today that the Sounders have hit the woodwork 10 times already this season. The #2 team on the list is LA Galaxy who've done it 4 times. For comparison, Seattle hit the woodwork 10 times all of last season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Something's wrong with Sounders again. Terrible showing the past couple of matches. Joevin Jones is back to playing like a moron again. Just awful.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I dont know what to think. We've been unlucky at points with hitting the bar and ref calls but we have similar points to what we had when sigi got fired. On paper we look decent at mls level except at rb and cb depth but we arent playing at our best.

I dont know what to think. Schmetzer has time given the fact he won the championship and ultimately we just need to do enough to make the play offs. The LA game was a false dawn but we need to start picking up wins soon. Wonder how long they give it to invest in a new dp. I still worry about deuce and lodeiro playing together.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1hezwxms said:
I still worry about deuce and lodeiro playing together.

We kinda knew this going into this year didn't we?

Clint and Lodeiro are both creators occupying the same spaces inside. Both want to be on the ball as much as possible getting their touches.

I see a lot of getting in each other's way, especially on Lodeiro's part, which has neutered what he does best, move all over the pitch touching the ball a million times getting everyone involved.

Not sure what the answer is, but it's getting very frustrating to watch.

Latest posts