Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Attended a Sounders game for the first time (well the MLS iteration anyways, went to NASL Sounders games when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.) My wife, daughter and I went together and were so impressed with the atmosphere that we are now season ticket holders. It doesn't hurt that all 3 tickets cost less than what a single one would cost for the Seahawks (for partial season, for the full season all 3 will be slightly more than a single ticket for Seahawks.)

While my daughter is a Seahawks "fan" (she wants to be like me), she has never shown interest in actually watching any sport until the Sounders game. She followed what was going on closely and asked a lot of questions. Looking forward to being able to share this with her and hopefully it springboards her into actually wanting to watch and learn about American football as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JustTheTip":2yhm6wpa said:
Attended a Sounders game for the first time (well the MLS iteration anyways, went to NASL Sounders games when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.) My wife, daughter and I went together and were so impressed with the atmosphere that we are now season ticket holders. It doesn't hurt that all 3 tickets cost less than what a single one would cost for the Seahawks (for partial season, for the full season all 3 will be slightly more than a single ticket for Seahawks.)

While my daughter is a Seahawks "fan" (she wants to be like me), she has never shown interest in actually watching any sport until the Sounders game. She followed what was going on closely and asked a lot of questions. Looking forward to being able to share this with her and hopefully it springboards her into actually wanting to watch and learn about American football as well.

Awesome.

I've had season tix since the 2nd season, and have a similar family story. Most of my family didn't care about soccer before we got our tix.........now except for the occasional complaints if it's a nasty weather day, they love going.

Especially in the summer, when it's a beautiful day or night there's no place better to spend the day then up at a match just walking around taking it all in.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Six Sounders are being called up to preliminary rosters for the Gold Cup this Summer. Final rosters will be made on June 23.

Clint Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Christian Roldan (USA)
Jordy Delem (Martinique)
Oniel Fisher (Jamaica)
Roman Torres (Panama)

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1xexbly5 said:
Six Sounders are being called up to preliminary rosters for the Gold Cup this Summer. Final rosters will be made on June 23.

Clint Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Christian Roldan (USA)
Jordy Delem (Martinique)
Oniel Fisher (Jamaica)
Roman Torres (Panama)

for the USA, expect Morris and Roldan to be in camp (from the impressions I'm getting) and Deuce to be called in as a replacement players after the group stage.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It disappoints me how poorly the Sounders are playing on the road this season. Can't believe that this team (most of the core players are still there from last year) won the MLS Cup last year. They won the cup on the road. They are playing awful right now. Yes, the field conditions weren't good yesterday but even if they were I don't see them winning the match. Jones is not a defender, needs to be moved to midfield. Jack Harrison was owning him all match.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm still pissed about the Orlando game. We were comfortable all game only to give away that stupid foul then leave 2 vs 3 at the front post. Ughhhh Absolutely threw away 2 points. Starting to think if we can get anything in a trade for Torres or Evans to cash in. Wish Sigi had a new gig as he would definitely take Evans.

I liked the new player though, he had a good debut.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":j525cw1q said:
I'm still pissed about the Orlando game. We were comfortable all game only to give away that stupid foul then leave 2 vs 3 at the front post. Ughhhh Absolutely threw away 2 points. Starting to think if we can get anything in a trade for Torres or Evans to cash in. Wish Sigi had a new gig as he would definitely take Evans.

We don't need a trade, Lagerwey has already made it known that we're going hard after another DP once the summer transfer window opens in a couple weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get rid of Evans. But no one's going to take on his 300k a year salary for an aging oft injured journeyman who's mediocre at 2-3 positions.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Not sure what's happening with Jordan Morris. If he's having a sophomore slump or what but he's had little, if any, impact this season so far. He was better last season.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":lxkoo8ik said:

who?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Nouhou. New as in the first time I saw him play. Wouldn't mind him getting a run at Lb and Jones pushed forward and Morris at Right Wing.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1sesgiq6 said:
Not sure what's happening with Jordan Morris. If he's having a sophomore slump or what but he's had little, if any, impact this season so far. He was better last season.

Still think a lot of this is Dempsey related. I just feel the team has better chemistry without him and Lodeiro and Morris are far more influential when Dempsey is out.

knownone

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3c4m9f5e said:
hawkfan68":3c4m9f5e said:

Still think a lot of this is Dempsey related. I just feel the team has better chemistry without him and Lodeiro and Morris are far more influential when Dempsey is out.
Dempsey is definitely having an effect on Morris but Morris is being asked to play in a role that doesn't really suit his abilities that well. That's one of the reasons Will Bruin leads the team in goals, he's a better fit in that role than Morris. That isn't really an indictment on the players but rather Garth for not putting the right pieces in place for this team to execute Schmetzer's system or Schmetzer for not adjusting his system to compliment the talents of one of his best young assets.

I never thought I'd say this but Cristian Roldan has not only surpassed Jordan Morris as the best young player on the Sounders. He may be the best young American in MLS. Roldan has the potential for a Jermain Jones like impact at CM for the Nats... right now... and he's only 22. If he can develop his vision and be more consistent timing his tackles, he'll be able to play just about anywhere in the world. Roldan is one of the few guys who came out virtually unblemished when I look into his advanced metrics.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2k6u5ho6 said:
Nouhou. New as in the first time I saw him play. Wouldn't mind him getting a run at Lb and Jones pushed forward and Morris at Right Wing.

Gotcha.

He had a pretty good night. He has all the physical tools, still super raw.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1pn9g3eo said:
hawkfan68":1pn9g3eo said:

To be honest, its all 3 of them. They never know where the other is going to be, and very rarely to they make space for the other.

Lodeiro and Dempsey love playing in the hole, behind the striker, and the midfield. The difference between them is, Nico will go to that spot all across the pitch. Dempsey has a pretty narrow window he'll drop into....So naturally they find themselves in the same space....a lot.

Jordan, on the other hand, never makes runs in behind. He doesn't stretch the defense. Which is odd, because you'd think thats his biggest strength.....sure, he is fast...but he never makes runs to the channels.....when he does get the ball he its because the pass usually puts him in behind...but he never forces the CB's deep to free up more room for Clint or Nico. This is something that went unsung about Valdez last year...not only was his hold up play good, but he was a very unselfish runner. Jordan just isn't doing that right now, and it pinches the space Clint and Nico have to operate in.

To be 100% honest right now, Jordan is probably a 60 minute player at best. If he only has 60 minutes of runs in him, he needs to make them all the time.

All 3 of them, Clint and Jordan above Nico, need to be more unselfish in their play.

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":sl4qxfps said:
Glasgow Seahawk":sl4qxfps said:
hawkfan68":sl4qxfps said:

Dempsey is definitely having an effect on Morris but Morris is being asked to play in a role that doesn't really suit his abilities that well. That's one of the reasons Will Bruin leads the team in goals, he's a better fit in that role than Morris. That isn't really an indictment on the players but rather Garth for not putting the right pieces in place for this team to execute Schmetzer's system or Schmetzer for not adjusting his system to compliment the talents of one of his best young assets.

I never thought I'd say this but Cristian Roldan has not only surpassed Jordan Morris as the best young player on the Sounders. He may be the best young American in MLS. Roldan has the potential for a Jermain Jones like impact at CM for the Nats... right now... and he's only 22. If he can develop his vision and be more consistent timing his tackles, he'll be able to play just about anywhere in the world. Roldan is one of the few guys who came out virtually unblemished when I look into his advanced metrics.

I'll do you one better. Christian Roldan is currently the best player on our team.

I am seriously hoping that Roldan starts alongside Acosta in the central midfield for the Gold Cup.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Went to MN United v Timbers game the other night. First time at the new MLS set up. Exciting game and good atmosphere. Product on the field was a little to be desired. Not a fan of Timbers play.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34yixvu7 said:
Went to MN United v Timbers game the other night. First time at the new MLS set up. Exciting game and good atmosphere. Product on the field was a little to be desired. Not a fan of Timbers play.

That makes 2 of us.

Threedee

Reaction score
Did Evans just piss the match away?

EDIT: Guess not. They managed to survive what should have been a gift to Portlandia.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of that. Gutsy I guess. We were pretty comfortable for the first 40 minutes then shit hit the fan towards the end of the half. We looked the better team second half though with 10 men.

I'm not sure what else Evans could have done, was a pathetic clearance from Torres, I guess maybe let the striker take his chance and stay on the field? If Torres hadn't created the cross for the equalizer i'd probably have slated him today as both him and Evans have either been hurt or not playing too great lately.

Was a good result though, felt like a win in some way.

Nouhou looked good again when he came on, definitely think we should try Jones on the wing.

I'm still not sure what we need to get the goals coming in. Between Dempsey, Morris, Bruin, Shipp, Lodeiro etc we should be scoring way more. Another striker? Another creative midfielder? Jones at LM?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":338j716p said:
I'm still not sure what we need to get the goals coming in. Between Dempsey, Morris, Bruin, Shipp, Lodeiro etc we should be scoring way more. Another striker? Another creative midfielder? Jones at LM?

I don't think Lagerwey's been coy about what he wants in a 3rd DP, he wants a winger.......which would help us not be so direct all the time with Dempsey and Lodeiro trying to create in a clogged middle. We desperately need a dynamic winger that can help stretch the defense.

Probably also why Morris hasn't duplicated last year's scoring output. Clubs are just shading to his side because there's no one that can make them pay on the other side. We had Flaco over there for god sake, dude barely scared clubs in his prime.

In cooler pics news, Dempsey owns the Timbers

DDOdxtiU0AEX65o.jpg