Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Yesterday's Sounder lineup (starting) baffled me a bit. They moved Svensson to midfield. I thought they should have moved Jones and kept Svensson on the back line. For the most part of the first half, it seemed ok. Jones would be better in front position (i.e. wing) than in the back. He plays in the front for Trinidad. Svensson is clearly a better defender than him. Nouhou will definitely surpass Jones from a defending standpoint soon (if he hasn't already). Maybe they should move Jones to a winger role.

Correction: I was wrong in my above post. Apparently, he plays left wing back for Trinidad as well. He's always on the attacking side of the pitch so I thought he played in the front. Just move him there. He's horrible defensively.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2tjfbh24 said:
Yesterday's Sounder lineup (starting) baffled me a bit. They moved Svensson to midfield. I thought they should have moved Jones and kept Svensson on the back line. For the most part of the first half, it seemed ok. Jones would be better in front position (i.e. wing) than in the back. He plays in the front for Trinidad. Svensson is clearly a better defender than him. Nouhou will definitely surpass Jones from a defending standpoint soon (if he hasn't already). Maybe they should move Jones to a winger role.

Correction: I was wrong in my above post. Apparently, he plays left wing back for Trinidad as well. He's always on the attacking side of the pitch so I thought he played in the front. Just move him there. He's horrible defensively.

Svensson has already proven he is more valuable in the middle of the park than he is at RB. If thats CB or CM, it doesn't matter. He has put in MOTM numbers in either role.

Jones plays RM, LM, CM and LB for T&T. He's a decent midfielder, but he doesn't use his pace enough. I, personally, think he is a better LB than he is a LM.

Nouhou is so, so, so, raw. He gets away with a lot due to his speed...but he scares the piss out of me at times. He's a tad reckless and has major positional issues.

I'm not against a Jones/Nouhou left side, but Jones can't leave him to dry over there. He has to track back. We've seen Jones/Fisher burned before and I don't want that to happen again.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":28oqf7f2 said:
Maybe they will bring him back -
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/martins-absent-shanghai-shehua-edge-tianjin-quanjian/

One could only wish....

rumor - it seems that the Sounders have made an offer to Derlis Gonzalez -
https://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2017/summer-transfer-window-tracker/seattle-sounders

Any danger of getting Martins as TAM? Given he is a bit older now and may not be as costly?

I'd happily have him back and get what you can from another MLS side for Dempsey. I know that's not a popular view but he is out of contract soon.

I hope the Gonzalez signing isn't the only one. Still feel we need a younger RB who is capable of starting.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":1qo4wvwy said:
Out of the US Open Cup.

Feel like the Sounders are the only team to take it serious tbh. If it means full focus on pulling out wins in the league then fine. I'd like us to be in a comfortable play off spot by August. This team is under performing given the talent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3pp4r2oz said:
Smurf":3pp4r2oz said:
Out of the US Open Cup.

Feel like the Sounders are the only team to take it serious tbh. If it means full focus on pulling out wins in the league then fine. I'd like us to be in a comfortable play off spot by August. This team is under performing given the talent.

We're already in CONCACAF by winning the MLS Cup, so if there was a year not to care about the US Open Cup, this is the one.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":eno9i2y0 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":eno9i2y0 said:
Smurf":eno9i2y0 said:
Out of the US Open Cup.

We're already in CONCACAF by winning the MLS Cup, so if there was a year not to care about the US Open Cup, this is the one.

The Sounders couldn't beat Orlando City SC at home, doubt they have much impact in CONCACAF.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1t7chma9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1t7chma9 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1t7chma9 said:
Smurf":1t7chma9 said:
Out of the US Open Cup.

The Sounders couldn't beat Orlando City SC at home, doubt they have much impact in CONCACAF.

We have 8-18 months before we need to worry about CONCACAF...so we have time to improve.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1cci5gtj said:
Smurf":1cci5gtj said:
Out of the US Open Cup.

More and More teams are taking it seriously. Sounders played 1 first team starter, Role players and players from S2. Chicago Fire played 50-60% of their starting 11....against a lower division team....in front of 30,000....on the road....and were devastated when they lost on PK's.

Teams care about it more than ever...Many are calling for a larger prize pool...especially after learning of US Soccer's MASSIVE surplus.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3c6uiche said:
We signed a RB on TAM from Holland!!! Sounds like he may have some pedigree.

He seems like he's a Joevin Jones type. Loves to attack. Quick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":2hpg8e5b said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2hpg8e5b said:
We signed a RB on TAM from Holland!!! Sounds like he may have some pedigree.

He seems like he's a Joevin Jones type. Loves to attack. Quick.

Hopefully he's a better defender than Jones has shown to be.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sounders go into the Gold Cup break on a positive note, and Dempsey scores one of the prettiest goals of the year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good win. They needed 3pts and got it. Alonso and Marshall getting injured isn't good. Alonso injury looks bad. He may be out for a long time. Not sure why that Rapid player wasn't red carded. He was targeting player's feet and ankles all match long. Should have been sent off. I commend the Sounders for their poise and not retaliating. However, they do whine and complain a lot...they need to just stop that and just play.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good win. The jones/nouhou experiment seemed to pay off, dempsey looked like dempsey of old and bruin was decent.

The team played pretty fluid and it should have been 4 or 5. Maybe Morris was the problem? The portland goal seems to have opened the flood gates for dempsey though.

Downside is the injuries. Would really suck if ozzy is done for the year.

Colorado are a dirty team and the ref was weak.

Honestly though here we go again when colorado scored undeservedly but our third goal was class and killed them.

We moved into a play off spot above Galaxy. We play them next so may get to open a little cushion if we win.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good news: Ozzy is only out a few weeks with an MCL sprain

Bad news: No Schmetzer this weekend as he has to do a coaching certification. Pineda taking the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2z11sr1k said:
Bad news: No Schmetzer this weekend as he has to do a coaching certification. Pineda taking the team.

Just for a friendly.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cpaccmau said:
Glasgow Seahawk":cpaccmau said:

Just for a friendly.

Hopefully they will rest most of the vets and let the younger players play. Guys like Nouhou, Alfaro, Kovar, Adekoya, Mathers, Delem, etc