2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Crizilla":3tbqf7xh said:
if we take care of business against the yankees we will be in the 2nd wild card slot most likely. This is the time where ITS GETTIN SERIOUS FELLAS. I'm going to a game in August and I want PLAYOFF ATMOSPHERE

Well let me tell you ... that the atmosphere surrounding those "Refuse to Lose" Mariners of 1995 ... was unlike anything I'd ever seen before ... or have ever seen since. It was a remarkable experience as something incredible happened each and every night. It was special ... and I'd LOVE to experience that again. And not just Seattle -- the entire Pacific Northwest was electric (in much the same way that they were with the 2013 Seahawks). It would be WAY COOL to have that again. If you've never taken the time to see this before, I highly recommend it ...

[youtube]qMzJsmTkkB4[/youtube]

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Outstanding win today to take the series. I had to work and miss the game but looks like Paxton straight dealt and Segura had yet another multi hit game, we got some clutch hits and our bullpen delivered again.

Agreed that this upcoming homestand is critical and will make/break us. Overall, things are looking up. Now get us a couple arms Jerry!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I just got through crunching some numbers and wanted to share. So, in taking a look at this team and how it's playing right now, I was curious as to just how hot this club has been ... and what we can roughly expect the rest of the way. If the M's just keep up the pace they've been on of late (just "as is" without making any improvements at the trade deadline), how would they finish?

It seemed to me that the M's really started taking off around the time that the new and improved Mike Zunino came back up from Tacoma and he started hitting. Using that as a rough barometer, I decided to take a look at how the club has done from May 28th to today. Here are the numbers both before and since that date ...

M's Record

Through 5/27 ........ 21-29 [50 games] (.420 winning%)

From 5/28 - 7/19 ... 27-19 [46 games] (.5689 winning%)

There are 66 games remaining ... so, if the M's continue to win at that .5689% clip, that would = roughly 39 more wins

which would have them finishing at 87-75.

And that's if things just stay status quo. Just FYI, last year the Blue Jays and Orioles finished with 89 wins and were the 2 Wild Card winners in the AL. So guys, the M's are RIGHT THERE on the cusp of being a playoff team as they are constructed RIGHT NOW ... IF they just keep up the pace they've been on since 5/28. And that's with no improvements people -- imagine what's going to happen if DiPoto is able to swing a deal for even 1 quality starting pitcher. ;)

Josea16

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2y2d1up3 said:
I just got through crunching some numbers and wanted to share. So, in taking a look at this team and how it's playing right now, I was curious as to just how hot this club has been ... and what we can roughly expect the rest of the way. If the M's just keep up the pace they've been on of late (just "as is" without making any improvements at the trade deadline), how would they finish?

It seemed to me that the M's really started taking off around the time that the new and improved Mike Zunino came back up from Tacoma and he started hitting. Using that as a rough barometer, I decided to take a look at how the club has done from May 28th to today. Here are the numbers both before and since that date ...

M's Record

There are 66 games remaining ... so, if the M's continue to win at that .5689% clip, that would = roughly 39 more wins

And that's if things just stay status quo. Just FYI, last year the Blue Jays and Orioles finished with 89 wins and were the 2 Wild Card winners in the AL. So guys, the M's are RIGHT THERE on the cusp of being a playoff team as they are constructed RIGHT NOW ... IF they just keep up the pace they've been on since 5/28. And that's with no improvements people -- imagine what's going to happen if DiPoto is able to swing a deal for even 1 quality starting pitcher. ;)
From what I've read they don't have the ammunition to get a difference maker starting pitcher. Though they might be able to swing a good reliever type.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Josea16":2wabjq98 said:
Hawkscanner":2wabjq98 said:

M's Record

From what I've read they don't have the ammunition to get a difference maker starting pitcher. Though they might be able to swing a good reliever type.

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure or say that necessarily. Page up and read a post of mine from yesterday -- a trade idea that Bill Kreuger threw out there on KJR. And for him, it may not take even as much as the package I proposed.

Josea16

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":cn5n4rmj said:
Josea16":cn5n4rmj said:
Hawkscanner":cn5n4rmj said:

M's Record

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure or say that necessarily. Page up and read a post of mine from yesterday -- a trade idea that Bill Kreuger threw out there on KJR. And for him, it may not take even as much as the package I proposed.
Hmm. so it seems we're both possibly right. Plot thickens...I smell a possible '95 or Oakland run if they can swing what you are suggesting.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":m69lable said:
Josea16":m69lable said:
Hawkscanner":m69lable said:

M's Record

It's certainly an intriguing idea to try to go after a likely future HOFer who's not a rental with 3+ years left on his deal but there's more info needed. I've read Detroit is willing to part with some cash to try to lure wary teams, but the question is if it would really be much to offset $100 + mil owed to the guy the next 3 1/2 seasons. 34 is not old for a pitcher but you have to carefully weigh a few things:

1) Does his current production match his huge contract?
2) Is his down year that he's having just an off year like he had in '14 and he's capable of turning it around or is he in a slow downward spiral and the years of leading the league in starts taking its toll?
3) Will he be much better pitching in Safeco and help us win NOW?

He had a great season last year but has had a mediocre year thus far although his last few starts have been promising. It's just that damn gargantuan contract that may scare Jerry away.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":xeuw1p23 said:
It's certainly an intriguing idea to try to go after a likely future HOFer who's not a rental with 3+ years left on his deal but there's more info needed. I've read Detroit is willing to part with some cash to try to lure wary teams, but the question is if it would really be much to offset $100 + mil owed to the guy the next 3 1/2 seasons. 34 is not old for a pitcher but you have to carefully weigh a few things:

1) Does his current production match his huge contract?
2) Is his down year that he's having just an off year like he had in '14 and he's capable of turning it around or is he in a slow downward spiral and the years of leading the league in starts taking its toll?
3) Will he be much better pitching in Safeco and help us win NOW?

He had a great season last year but has had a mediocre year thus far although his last few starts have been promising. It's just that damn gargantuan contract that may scare Jerry away.

You're definitely asking all the right questions and certainly make valid points that I'm asking myself as well. My answer to your first 2 questions is basically "I don't know." I DO know that starting pitching (especially the caliber of pitching of a Verlander and who he's been) is certainly expensive. But I also believe at this point that with Drew Smyly gone for this next year with Tommy John Surgery ... and Hisashi Iwakuma looking like a big question mark as well, this club is going to NEED starting pitching. Guys like Sam Gaviglio and Christian Bergman have performed admirably and been a huge shot in the arm ... but those guys are what they are -- somewhere between 5th starters and AAA pitchers. They are journeymen who can help you out in a pinch, but aren't long term solutions. You're going to need reliable quality starting pitching.

The ideal (of course) is always to develop your own so that you can maintain cost control for several years. You can wait for a guy like a Carson Smith to hopefully mature and blossom into that hoped for low cost ace ... but, for every James Paxton who works out there are 10 Ryan Andersons who don't. Several years ago, I did a mega study of minor league baseball drafts. I was curious to know exactly how many guys who are drafted really make it in MLB. So, I examined each and every draft pick for every team over a 20 year span. Below is a link to a chart that shows the data from that study as well as the final paragraph on an article I wrote on my conclusions ...
post-615-082738000%201345438596.jpg

Total Picks = 30,139
% Made it to Majors = 3,776 out of 30,139 Picks (12.53%)
% Decently Productive Career = 1,129 out of 30,139 Picks (3.75%)
% Became Major League Stars = 357 out of 30,139 Picks (1.18%)

Thomas Malthus was a 19th Century philosopher who contended that limited resources would cause competition for them as the population continued to grow. His ideas, in turn, significantly influenced Charles Darwin, who (of course) contended that only the strongest individuals of a species would end up with those needed resources and be able to survive. Well Malthus and Darwin certainly didn't know anything about baseball … but from the statistics noted above I think you can easily see why a Darwinian fight for survival exists within the National Pastime today.

Out of all the myriad of youngsters who are drafted every year … roughly only 13% of them will ever have even 1 Major League At-Bat … or stare down even 1 Major League Hitter in their career from the mound. A whopping 87% of those guys will never even get the chance to become Moonlight Graham.

Less than 4% of all draft picks will ever go on to have what we might term a "decent" career … and less than 1.25% of all draft picks will truly become Major League Stars.
Source:
http://www.marinercentral.com/forum...ers-and-the-dark-side-of-moneyball-episode-i/

As far as the answer to your #3 question is concerned, I believe the answer to that is definitely Yes. Justin Verlander is a guy who knows what it's like to be in a pennant race ... and to pitch in a World Series. He's pitched in high pressure situations and been very good over the years. So, I guess I would say that IF (BIG IF) JeDi (Jerry DiPoto) were able to put together a fairly low cost package (that would also include Yovani Gallardo), I would tentatively be in favor of the deal. As JeDi has said before, there are only a small handful of times in the calendar year when you can realistically add starting pitching. This is one of them and if the deal makes sense ... and Verlander's health checks out ... then I think you consider pulling the trigger.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We traded for David Phelps. I still think we need a starting pitcher, but he should solidify what is already a pretty good bullpen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3f6fe6p1 said:
We traded for David Phelps. I still think we need a starting pitcher, but he should solidify what is already a pretty good bullpen.

You mean former Yankee David Phelps.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16n09h2c said:
Hawk-Lock":16n09h2c said:

You mean former Yankee David Phelps.

LOL

getnasty

Reaction score
Man I hope we trade for a starter not that a little bullpen help isn't needed but I definitely would have rather packaged those prospects and Peterson or Volgobach for someone how could give us 6 innings and a chance. Drew Smyley would be pretty nice right now.

getnasty

Reaction score
Wonder if they'll think about having him start he has done it in the past.

Rat

Reaction score
Good luck with Phelps. As a Marlins fan, I can't believe any team would want anyone on our pitching staff. I guess he was marginally less terrible than some of our other relievers.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Maybe they should try putting Hanniger back in the 2 hole.. I recall him bashing from there.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Gotta stop wasting all these opps...
who's that pitching for us?