2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Bobblehead

Reaction score
We just can't squander a great pitching performance like this...maddening

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Frustrating loss after Hernandez pitched an absolute gem. Struck out 9 in 7, just 1 run and the offense goes 2 for 14 RISP and strand 12 total. Where's the clutch hitting when we need it? Have to come through tomorrow. This is our chance to get back in the race.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Last night felt like a game from three years ago. Zero run support for Felix and we couldn't hit with runners on base. I didn't expect to see fielding mistakes by Cano and Segura. I will say that I am pretty shocked at how great Felix has been, over his last three starts he has been performing like the King Felix from a few years ago.

With how this team performs, we love to suck right after we get in a groove. I hope this isn't similar to what we did after we swept the Tigers.

We just traded Tyler O'Neil for Marco Gonzalez, not sure how I feel about the trade. From what I've read, Gonzalez seems like a low ceiling guy, probably a back end rotation guy at best. I would just hate to see O'Neil do great things with the Cards, but that is a chance we took. I think O'Neil became expendable because of the emergence of our outfielders and his poor performance this season in Tacoma.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Gonzalez was the droid we were looking for.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Here's some info on Marco Gonzales. Taken 19th overall in the 1st Round by St. Louis in 2013. From an ESPN report in 2014 ...

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/basebal...alyzing-marco-gonzales-value-fantasy-baseball

And yes, I know it's Bleacher Report (and I feel the same way about them), but this appears to dovetail with that one ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...profile-for-st-louis-cardinals-1st-round-pick

They're comparing him with Jason Vargas (a #3 or #4 Pitcher -- an innings eater). I dunno. As with all things, we'll see. Tyler O'Neil seems like a high price to pay to acquire a guy like this.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I agree, seems like we may have undersold Tyler O'Neil. I know he hasn't been all that great this year, but to give him away for a #4 or #5 starting pitcher who has had injury problems seems a bit questionable. This team was in more need of a #2 or #3 starting pitcher, someone like a Sonny Gray or Quintana. We may not have had the prospects to get a guy like that, as the Cubs basically gave away one of the best prospects to get Quintana.

Either way it looks like it is now or never for the Mariners. It's clear that Dipoto wants to win now. If we can't make the playoffs in the next two years, then we really need to rethink this formula.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I think they really just had a goal of getting Gaviglio/Gallardo out of the starting rotation. 1.Pax 2. Felix 3. Miranda 4. Moore 5. Gonzales is solid if Gonzales pans out and Felix keeps it up. The supply side of starting pitchers is very low right now.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Clean house on offense. I'm sorry. But its time. Cano, Cruz, Seager all have to go. Keep Segura, Gamel, and Haniger. This team is incapable of getting to the next level

mistaowen

Reaction score
Aaron judge almost hit a ball out of Safeco last night

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seemingly every time this team captures a hard fought series or emotional win, they come out completely flat the next couple games.

As for the trades, Phelps is a good pickup I believe. If you've seen him pitch he has electric stuff-mid 90s fastball with life, a great 2 seamer that moves away from lefties, a plus cutter and a very sharp curve. He has a very loose arm and I look for him to be a 7th or 8th inning option. He'll help lessen the load for Vincent and Zych.

The Gonzales trade is somewhat of a head scratcher. We won't know for a couple years of course, but on its face it seems O'Neil could've been packaged with Petersen and/or Powell to bring in a #3 or at least #4 starter right now. I assume Jerry wants to bring up Gonzales in Sept if not sooner, but aside from Gonzales' Washington ties, this was an odd July trade.

Seeing Aaron Judge play catch with the young fan between innings the other night was one of the coolest things I've seen a major leaguer do in a long time. No wonder he's become so popular and the king of NY. That and of course demolishing baseballs 500 ft. That "440" foot blast last night was unreal-that ball was still traveling when it hit the top wall.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2fepj9mf said:
Seemingly every time this team captures a hard fought series or emotional win, they come out completely flat the next couple games.

As for the trades, Phelps is a good pickup I believe. If you've seen him pitch he has electric stuff-mid 90s fastball with life, a great 2 seamer that moves away from lefties, a plus cutter and a very sharp curve. He has a very loose arm and I look for him to be a 7th or 8th inning option. He'll help lessen the load for Vincent and Zych.

The Gonzales trade is somewhat of a head scratcher. We won't know for a couple years of course, but on its face it seems O'Neil could've been packaged with Petersen and/or Powell to bring in a #3 or at least #4 starter right now. I assume Jerry wants to bring up Gonzales in Sept if not sooner, but aside from Gonzales' Washington ties, this was an odd July trade.

Seeing Aaron Judge play catch with the young fan between innings the other night was one of the coolest things I've seen a major leaguer do in a long time. No wonder he's become so popular and the king of NY. That and of course demolishing baseballs 500 ft. That "440" foot blast last night was unreal-that ball was still traveling when it hit the top wall.
It's very frustrating. Especially considering it's been going on will before Servais started his tenure here.

I'm not too familiar with Phelps, but from what I've read, he sounds like a nice addition. We'll see very soon. It still seems like a high price to pay for a middle reliever. Maybe he ends up in the rotation?

I don't know how to feel about the Gonzales trade. Sounds like he's nothing more than a #3-5 rotation guy. I know O'Neill hasn't been great this year in Tacoma, but still. I'm with you, I feel like he could've been packaged for a a decent, well known starter. That trade is very much a head scratcher. And considering he's had injury issues and is only a year removed from TJ surgery. It's just odd. Dipoto knows something we don't. But then again, his track record for trading for starters here isn't exactly top notch. He's failed miserably in that aspect.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well if your offense is ailing and your hitters are slumping..the best cure it seems is the Mariner pitching staff.. way to wake up the Judge.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1w5pfqgy said:
Well if your offense is ailing and your hitters are slumping..the best cure it seems is the Mariner pitching staff.. way to wake up the Judge.

Why in the world would Servais go to Cishit instead of Zych in that situation? To face Judge no less? Cishit is no longer a setup man-mop up at best. With Phelps here, he is expendable and yet Servais continues to use him in crucial situations with the season essentially on the line. Just maddening.

On the positive, Phelps looked awesome-just as advertised. Let's see if we can close this out.

Crizilla

Reaction score
No idea why Diaz threw him a pitch right down the middle of the plate when he was so ahead in the count. Why? There is no reason to desperately throw a strike right there. Make him chase something off the plate like he did with the pitch prior when he threw his bat to stay a live. Why throw a strike right there? Terrible baseball. Terrible managing by Servais. It's official. I want Servais gone. Keep Dipoto though. This team is terrible when it matters. Servais is a snore. No energy in the dug out. No small ball. No nothing, He's worse than McLOLndon.

New nickname for Scott Servais: LOW ENERGY SCOTT.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":5zgyhhnl said:
Bobblehead":5zgyhhnl said:

Why in the world would Servais go to Cishit instead of Zych in that situation? To face Judge no less? Cishit is no longer a setup man-mop up at best. With Phelps here, he is expendable and yet Servais continues to use him in crucial situations with the season essentially on the line. Just maddening.

On the positive, Phelps looked awesome-just as advertised. Let's see if we can close this out.

100% agree about Cishek. He has been my most hated player for two years now. He is terrible and needs to do us all a favor and quit.

sutz

Reaction score
Highlight of the night....Angie Mentik takes the brunt of the Gatorade shower. :mrgreen:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":2tm1cn7s said:
Highlight of the night....Angie Mentik takes the brunt of the Gatorade shower. :mrgreen:

That was good! She was acting like a brat about it. Watch she'll threaten the M's her contract forbids such contact.

Great gritty win with clutch hits by Cano, Gamel and Cruz. At 2.5 games back in the WC, realistically we need to get to 5 games over .500 to fully be in the mix. Need to battle again and get the W tomorrow. Gallardo on the hill.