2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Rays just got Duda which I'm completely fine with. We don't need another bat, we need a starting pitcher. I'm all for Sonny Gray, but not sure I would want to give up one of our top prospects along with Haniger. I wonder if Heredia or Dyson will become a trade chip. Not sure how much value Dyson has, but Heredia looks like a very promising prospect, he has to have one of the best outfield arms in MLB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":38hensii said:
Rays just got Duda which I'm completely fine with. We don't need another bat, we need a starting pitcher. I'm all for Sonny Gray, but not sure I would want to give up one of our top prospects along with Haniger. I wonder if Heredia or Dyson will become a trade chip. Not sure how much value Dyson has, but Heredia looks like a very promising prospect, he has to have one of the best outfield arms in MLB.

I'd rather see Haniger traded before Heredia for the reason you mention above. Haniger hasn't been the same since he came back from DL.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Schedule the rest of the way is tough. @NYY @KC @TB will most likely decide if the M's are going to the playoffs. 6 games still remaining against Houston as well.

sutz

Reaction score
hawkfan68":10lkblqm said:
Hawk-Lock":10lkblqm said:

I'd rather see Haniger traded before Heredia for the reason you mention above. Haniger hasn't been the same since he came back from DL.
Haniger is still doing fine in the field. It's his bat that has gone the way of Motter. Dyson doesn't have a high BA, but he gets on base and creates problems for pitchers and catchers and opens up holes for hitters behind him. I'd rather trade Haniger than Heredia or Dyson. JMO.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Of course had Jerry not traded for Gonzales, he could've made an attractive package deal of O'Neil, Lewis and another prospect or 2 for a SP without likely considering someone on the 25 man roster, but this is the situation now. Regarding the players in question:

You do NOT trade Guillermo Heredia...nor even consider it. He's showing the makings of becoming a stellar everyday player with 5 tools. Trading him is Adam Jones all over again.

Dyson? His speed brings an exceptional weapon in the OF and on the bases. But he's never going to be better than a .240 hitter at Safeco. If he's the only chance at landing a Sonny Gray or other proven SP, you consider it but not necessarily pull the trigger.

Haniger is an interesting subject. A few of us were just discussing yesterday if perhaps he should be sent down for a short stint to Tacoma. Now he's rumored to be a chip. This is a tough one because he is a young rookie with tools but through injury or through the league adjusting to him, his approach at the plate has declined considerably. Motter 2.0 or a steady everyday player in the future? Or an in between Dustin Ackley??

Jerry has to gamble in the next 3 days and do something. We cannot stay put. We cannot rebuild right now-it's an all-in situation. Gray, Verlander or someone else? Make the right move Jerry...without completely destroying the future.

Tical21

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3ugpq8da said:
Of course had Jerry not traded for Gonzales, he could've made an attractive package deal of O'Neil and Lewis for a SP without likely considering someone on the 25 man roster, but this is the situation now. Regarding the players in question:

You do NOT trade Guillermo Heredia...nor even consider it. He's showing the makings of becoming a stellar everyday player with 5 tools. Trading him is Adam Jones all over again.

Dyson? His speed brings an exceptional weapon in the OF and on the bases. But he's never going to be better than a .240 hitter at Safeco. If he's the only chance at landing a Sonny Gray or other proven SP, you consider it but not necessarily pull the trigger.

Haniger is an interesting subject. A few of us were just discussing yesterday if perhaps he should be sent down for a short stint to Tacoma. Now he's rumored to be a chip. This is a tough one because he is a young rookie with tools but through injury or through the league adjusting to him, his approach at the plate has declined considerably. Motter 2.0 or a steady everyday player in the future? Or an in between Dustin Ackley??

Jerry has to gamble in the next 3 days and do something. We cannot stay put. We cannot rebuild right now-it's an all-in situation. Gray, Verlander or someone else? Make the right move Jerry...without completely destroying the future.
Dude, Heredia is 26, hitting .275 and on pace to end with 10 HR and 2 SB. Adam Jones? 5 tools? Or a nice little 4th outfielder?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3m6b9kuy said:
West TX Hawk":3m6b9kuy said:
Of course had Jerry not traded for Gonzales, he could've made an attractive package deal of O'Neil and Lewis for a SP without likely considering someone on the 25 man roster, but this is the situation now. Regarding the players in question:

Dude, Heredia is 26, hitting .275 and on pace to end with 10 HR and 2 SB. Adam Jones? 5 tools? Or a nice little 4th outfielder?

Dude, in only 244 at bats Heredia has as many hr as Segura. And as Red Sox manager John Farrell said, "he can fly." You give him a full season in the lineup and he'd give you .280+, 15 hr and 15 steals. And he's an outstanding defensive CF with a plus arm. I stand by my assessment. And yes, he's just 26.

So I assume then you'd be willing to trade him and keep Dyson and Haniger instead?-since that's the actual discussion at hand. The Adam Jones trade as you recall was an absolutely horrible move that summed up Bavasi's tenure and flawed logic. Jones was a promising OF and Bedard had many question marks. So with Haniger, Dyson and Heredia, who's the one you keep no matter what? I'm betting scouts would say Heredia.

CPHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":36hjry0e said:
Of course had Jerry not traded for Gonzales, he could've made an attractive package deal of O'Neil, Lewis and another prospect or 2 for a SP without likely considering someone on the 25 man roster, but this is the situation now. Regarding the players in question:

Who's going to trade a legit starter for O'Neil and any of our other minor leaguers? Do people not look at what a crap sandwich our prospects really are? We have exactly one top 100 prospect, and guess what O'Neil wasn't anywhere near top 100.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":1iso9ss3 said:
West TX Hawk":1iso9ss3 said:

Do people not look at what a crap sandwich our prospects really are? We have exactly one top 100 prospect, and guess what O'Neil wasn't anywhere near top 100.

O'Neil was the #38 prospect in the Baseball America Top 100 coming into the season.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/statisti ... er-o'neill

And O'Neil was #36 and Lewis #29 on the mlbpipeline top 100. And both were the 3rd and 4th AL West prospects.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lookou ... -list-2017

CPHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2j7nono7 said:
CPHawk":2j7nono7 said:
West TX Hawk":2j7nono7 said:

Do people not look at what a crap sandwich our prospects really are? We have exactly one top 100 prospect, and guess what O'Neil wasn't anywhere near top 100.

O'Neil was the #38 prospect in the Baseball America Top 100 coming into the season.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/statisti ... er-o'neill

And O'Neil was #36 and Lewis #29 on the mlbpipeline top 100. And both were the 3rd and 4th AL West prospects.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lookou ... -list-2017

That's what I get for listening to Salk haha.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Same old Mariners...bringing back a pitcher they got rid of a few years back (or maybe it was last year). Anyway, if they wanted to bring back a former Mariners....they should go for Jason Vargas or Mike Montgomery. Ramirez is another Gallardo. Not an improvement.

sutz

Reaction score
CPHawk":1vaa7aak said:
That's what I get for listening to Salk haha.
It's generally a good idea to check more than one source. ;)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Not excited about this trade at all. Ramirez was terrible when he was here and has been almost as bad this year with the Rays. No idea how he sported an ERA below 4 the past two years. I just don't see how this trade or the Gonzalez trade helps us solidify the starting rotation for the stretch run this season.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2uad3985 said:
Not excited about this trade at all. Ramirez was terrible when he was here and has been almost as bad this year with the Rays. No idea how he sported an ERA below 4 the past two years. I just don't see how this trade or the Gonzalez trade helps us solidify the starting rotation for the stretch run this season.

It'll stop us from using Steve in close games. A win win by subtraction.

Dipoto's underhanded way of managing the team.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Cishek traded??!? This is the hap hap happiest day I can remember! Woohoo :irishdrinkers: good luck whoever got him. Many blown saves in your future haha SOOOOOO LOOOOONG SUUUUUUUCKER

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":21d3oo8l said:
Hawk-Lock":21d3oo8l said:

This. Totally agree. Jerry was likely growing weary of Cishek's inconsistency and Servais still using him when the game's on the line.

Jerry paid the Rays a million in cash to take him and we get a versatile pitcher who can help in the pen or start if they send down Moore. Plus Cishek is a FA this year and Erasmo is under club control through '19.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":1hcycp97 said:
Cishek traded??!? This is the hap hap happiest day I can remember! Woohoo :irishdrinkers: good luck whoever got him. Many blown saves in your future haha SOOOOOO LOOOOONG SUUUUUUUCKER
Those who have been on here a long time..Cishit was like public enemy #1
This move was longgg overdue.The guy blew how many games and holds?
ER cannot be half as bad which makes a difference in a race for a playoff spot.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2wqcoshy said:
Hawk-Lock":2wqcoshy said:

Bingo! Addition by subtraction. I'm not a big fan of "Erase leads" Ramirez, but Cishek was horrible most of the time.
Thank gawd I don't have to watch him and that craptastic side arm delivery miss the strikezone by a foot and a half only to throw a batting practice meatball down the middle on the next pitch.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Going into this series, I said we need to win tonights game. Tomorrow we have Gallardo going up against DeGrom. I feel good about Sunday with Paxton, but we can't lose the series to a bad Mets team. Not the best start for Miranda tonight.