2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's watching the Manures anymore (I certainly don't blame you if you're not) but we somehow managed to win one tonight. Albers, the guy they got from Atlanta pitched very solid. Still only 3 runs scored on offense-that's what we've averaged this horrid homestand.

Gonzalez v. Ubaldo Jimenez tomorrow-don't want to ingest any false hope, but there's a chance the bats could come alive in a day game against struggling Ubaldo and we get back to .500 before the long road trip. Going on the road where this team is actually capable of scoring might be the best remedy.

Chapow

Reaction score
Storts":f41yiwt7 said:
Chapow":f41yiwt7 said:
I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?

You mean like when Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Tropeano all go down at once?

The one team the M's can't use the excuse of pitching injuries against is the Angels. Rotation decimated, top bullpen pieces also injured. Trout out for 2 months. Yet still kept themselves around - with some great pickups. Dipoto is an awful GM and no doubt people will realise this soon enough. Servais just a yes man

To be honest, I don't know. I don't pay close enough attention to other teams to know what their injury situation is.

But that sounds awfully similar to what the M's have gone through this season who have also kept themselves around and are, in fact, still in contention for a wild card spot, just behind the Angels.

And yet, Dipoto is awful and Servais is just a yes man while the Angels have done an admirable job apparently. :hmmmm:

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
This guy on another forum is trying to convince me that Dyson is the best defensive OF the Mariners ever had.
WTF?

Chapow

Reaction score
I remember some guy named Griffey that was pretty good. ;)

Dyson is a pretty damn good defensive OF though. Best ever? Probably not. Very, very good? Absolutely.

Edit to add: Did you see that play he made last night, throwing a guy out at home from the outfield? Helluva play. Robbed the O's of a run.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think with all the pitching staff injuries,the M's have done much better than my expectations.
You cannot get to the playoffs with a bunch of castoffs pitching,it just will not happen.
We have some nice pieces on this team.The future looks better than it has the last few years.
Some day we will all look back on these last few years and have a good laugh.
The Hawks got one and so will the Mariners one year.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Chapow":3ukjxq1j said:

Dyson is a pretty damn good defensive OF though. Best ever? Probably not. Very, very good? Absolutely.

Edit to add: Did you see that play he made last night, throwing a guy out at home from the outfield? Helluva play. Robbed the O's of a run.

I did see it. I think he had two great throws, which generated this convo with the guy.
But two great throws and some great catches doesn't equate to the TEN Gold Gloves Junior has.

sutz

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":3newg8eb said:
Chapow":3newg8eb said:

I did see it. I think he had two great throws, which generated this convo with the guy.
But two great throws and some great catches doesn't equate to the TEN Gold Gloves Junior has.
OK, I believe the guys in the booth have been saying that Dyson leads the league in OF assists this season, so there's that. Difficult to compare them, though. Jr will always be the M's fan favorite in CF. Junior never had corner fielders around him like our OF, either. Never had a LF that would stick. So I'd go KGJ, Dyson, and Cam I guess.

Offensively, you have to go with Junior, TBS.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Ichiro was pretty good, he didn't climb the walls like Griffy or Cameron could but still was a great defender and players didn't run on him.

Storts

Reaction score
Chapow":37aocgpc said:
Storts":37aocgpc said:
Chapow":37aocgpc said:
I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?

You mean like when Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Tropeano all go down at once?

The one team the M's can't use the excuse of pitching injuries against is the Angels. Rotation decimated, top bullpen pieces also injured. Trout out for 2 months. Yet still kept themselves around - with some great pickups. Dipoto is an awful GM and no doubt people will realise this soon enough. Servais just a yes man

To be honest, I don't know. I don't pay close enough attention to other teams to know what their injury situation is.

But that sounds awfully similar to what the M's have gone through this season who have also kept themselves around and are, in fact, still in contention for a wild card spot, just behind the Angels.

And yet, Dipoto is awful and Servais is just a yes man while the Angels have done an admirable job apparently. :hmmmm:

The Angels are only just starting to recover from the absolutely horrendous state that Dipoto left the farm and franchise in. He decimated the farm system as he has been doing to the Mariners already. His drafting is atrocious, high floor low ceiling picks - the cupboard was completely bare when he left, and it's taken a couple of drafts from Eppler and some exceptional bargain basement pick ups to turn it back around into a somewhat competitive team, albeit still with a huge number of flaws. I fully expect some time down the line for you to realise Dipoto is doing the same thing to your system and when the window for winning closes it will be a long recovery.

Servais is absolutely just a yes man.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Storts":1ihfug8r said:
Chapow":1ihfug8r said:
Storts":1ihfug8r said:
Chapow":1ihfug8r said:

The Angels are only just starting to recover from the absolutely horrendous state that Dipoto left the farm and franchise in. He decimated the farm system as he has been doing to the Mariners already. His drafting is atrocious, high floor low ceiling picks - the cupboard was completely bare when he left, and it's taken a couple of drafts from Eppler and some exceptional bargain basement pick ups to turn it back around into a somewhat competitive team, albeit still with a huge number of flaws. I fully expect some time down the line for you to realise Dipoto is doing the same thing to your system and when the window for winning closes it will be a long recovery.

Servais is absolutely just a yes man.

Not sure how much I believe that. The Angels were hamstrung by the owners love for aging superstars. How much are they paying Josh Hamilton still? Pujols has an ungodly huge contract. Their pitching staff got old too, Jered Weaver, Wilson being old and gone is hurting them today

sutz

Reaction score
Good news, though! The M's are guaranteed not to lose any games tonight. :2thumbs:

If course, they could still drop in the standings. :229031_shrug:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Minnesota and Tampa lose, so far a good day for the Mariners.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The M's have been piss poor in selecting GMs and Jerry DiPoto is no exception. He seems better because his predecessor was terrible. Jack Z looked better because of the GM he replaced was terrible.....the song goes on and on and on.....

Threedee

Reaction score
Pat Gillick (orchestrator of the Blue Jays and Phillies WS teams) is the only good GM the Mariners have ever had. I'd like to think that DiPoto will be the second, but, he is hamstringing the team by trusting in Servais and not figuring out a solution to the pitching issues.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Threedee":3ijnnju7 said:
Pat Gillick (orchestrator of the Blue Jays and Phillies WS teams) is the only good GM the Mariners have ever had. I'd like to think that DiPoto will be the second, but, he is hamstringing the team by trusting in Servais and not figuring out a solution to the pitching issues.

Agreed. Gillick was the only good GM the Mariners had thus far. DiPoto resigned from the Angels but essentially he was driven out of the org because he couldn't get along with the manager - Mike S. I think he's very weak in identifying top pitching talent. That's the problem the M's are currently facing. He has done nothing to fix it even when he had the chance to do so. It's not like there hasn't been time to fix the issues during the season. He's not doing enough there and that is what is biting the M's now.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3neotwjo said:
Threedee":3neotwjo said:

Agreed. Gillick was the only good GM the Mariners had thus far. DiPoto resigned from the Angels but essentially he was driven out of the org because he couldn't get along with the manager - Mike S. I think he's very weak in identifying top pitching talent. That's the problem the M's are currently facing. He has done nothing to fix it even when he had the chance to do so. It's not like there hasn't been time to fix the issues during the season. He's not doing enough there and that is what is biting the M's now.

Actually, I think he was driven out because he wiped out the farm system and put the Angels with a bunch of older players and nothing to fall back on, once they are past their prime.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't write the final chapter on Dipoto yet. No one could've predicted injuries to the entire rotation. Servais though, is just a puppet and lacks any apparent emotion.

Very nice win today. 1 game back. I figured the bats would get going on the road. Let's see if they can keep it going this weekend.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wish the ms had won those 2 angela games they choked away. 0.5 games behind right now but those 2 wins would have made a big difference.