Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's funny how every time Hansen sends a proposal or update then we hear something from the OVG. Until then it's crickets. Had Hansen not stepped up, nobody from the city would have done anything with Key Arena. It would be continuing to rot like it is now. Only things picked up when the council objected to Hansen's SODO plan. This new update from OVG wouldn't have come out had Hansen not shared his proposal to include Key Arena modification, etc.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":20mjyegt said:
Were him and Mitch at the same party?

Considering parties involved, him and Mitch were probably together. Nothing wrong with that of course...each to their own.

Crizilla

Reaction score
What did I tell you? Knew this would happen. Knew the city would come out and try to get the anti-SODO arena plan finalized as soon as they can. This is so pathetic. It probably has stalled a little bit now that sicko Ed Murray has resigned, but boy oh boy do they want the OVG plan. They want it so bad.

God help us.

chris98251

Reaction score
The are saying it will be done by 2020 and that 40 million in traffic improvements and 600 million in renovation, so tax payers on the books for 640 million or so not counting overages that I saw no provisions for but could have missed was a quick scan.

Versus Hansen and owing nothing and getting the New Arena and parking and concessions.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
chris98251":2qhrdzig said:
The are saying it will be done by 2020 and that 40 million in traffic improvements and 600 million in renovation, so tax payers on the books for 640 million or so not counting overages that I saw no provisions for but could have missed was a quick scan.

Versus Hansen and owing nothing and getting the New Arena and parking and concessions.
Doesn't make any sense. The traffic issue would be no different in SODO than when a mariners or Seahawks game is happening. So I still have yet to hear a good argument against SODO...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":12qoi29y said:
chris98251":12qoi29y said:

Doesn't make any sense. The traffic issue would be no different in SODO than when a mariners or Seahawks game is happening. So I still have yet to hear a good argument against SODO...

The argument is the fact that our local government wanted Key Arena and the surrounding area rebuilt, because it's been a money loser for 20 years in desperate need of renovation.

That's it, that's all there is to this discussion. They were NEVER going to seriously entertain any new arena proposal that wasn't on that site, because they knew if SODO was built it'd mean Key (a publicly held entity) losing even MORE money because no more concerts, no more sports and no more events..........everyone would go to SODO.

Now they found their whale to come in and do it all for free? Done Deal. The End.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":23lq42tp said:
Wow this all great if it happens..I guess my question will be:Who gets stuck paying the expansion fee(s) for NBA and NHL?Keep in mind these fees will be $200-500 million each.
It's a cost the new owners will absorb--it'll be a fraction of the value of the asset they'll be getting. They'll put it down on the balance sheet and be very happy.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Seattle Office of Economic Development is saying that 1-year is enough time to get an Environment Impact Statement for KeyArena; already hired someone to do research prior to getting an MOU from the Council
Questions about 2 potential sports teams + concerts needs to be addressed about these required studies; goes unanswered
OVG said that their transportation money will be paid out in a yearly amount; may be through bonds - previously said Bonds would not be needed
also, lack of a lump sum reduces money that can actually be applied towards traffic if it's a yearly payment from a planning perspective

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GeoffBakerTIMES/status/909848134389424128[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/909848871504814081[/tweet]

7500 employees for all the organizations in KeyArena/Seattle Center area - 68% are part-time
they would essentially lose their job while the arena would be "renovated"

OVG doesn't have the number of staff impact upon closures of the arena until it reopens
nor a plan for scheduled events from 2018-2020 that have already been scheduled like the 2019 NCAA Tournament
There's language in two basketball tenants (Seattle Storm & Seattle University); not working with either group to relocate them yet but says they will follow their contract they've signed
will try to get them a location within the city limits, but omits the larger point that they won't promise anything if they aren't required per their original lease agreement

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/909851904380878848[/tweet]

This timeline is all about the NHL's 2020 season

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
sammyc521":544tuv94 said:

I really really want the NHL here, but just can't get over how crappy they treated Hansen through all this. Just really sours any excitement I have in potentially getting a hockey team. I mean I'll roll with this if we get a hockey team, that's the silver lining here. But wow this has been some dirty slimy politics.

And maybe this will change, but I can't ever see the NBA coming back. No way a potential NBA owner is going to want to drop billions on a team, then have to play in an arena where they're like 3rd on the list of tenants, and don't even own it, and get no revenue from it? Bonderman and Bruckheimer are in bed with OVG and getting in on the ground floor, they're gonna be fine.

But an NBA owner? I just can't see it. :?

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CH Has gotten the shaft the whole way. He has been too honest in the process.
"Honest brokers" scare politicians of all political hues. Politicans want their kickbacks while looking all powerful and in control.

If we get an NHL and NBA team it will be because he had the "man marbles" to get the ball rolling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":4ntm4zv1 said:
sammyc521":4ntm4zv1 said:

I really really want the NHL here, but just can't get over how crappy they treated Hansen through all this. Just really sours any excitement I have in potentially getting a hockey team. I mean I'll roll with this if we get a hockey team, that's the silver lining here. But wow this has been some dirty slimy politics.

And maybe this will change, but I can't ever see the NBA coming back. No way a potential NBA owner is going to want to drop billions on a team, then have to play in an arena where they're like 3rd on the list of tenants, and don't even own it, and get no revenue from it? Bonderman and Bruckheimer are in bed with OVG and getting in on the ground floor, they're gonna be fine.

Balmer doesn't own Staples, and there are other examples, as well as at least 10 NHL owners don't own their arenas.

So it's not a unique thing that would stop an owner from going after an NBA or NHL team in Seattle.

Ideally I think owners like to have that revenue stream and control, but billionaires aren't stupid. If they see an opportunity to own a financial asset with the growth potential of a pro sports franchise? In the 8th largest market with tremendous affluency like Seattle?

They'll be lining up my friend.

Msfann

Reaction score
I would be happy with NHL only at this point. I miss the Sonics as much as the rest of you but when they took the Sonics from us it soiled the entire sport for me.

Also if I was Hanson I would tell the city of seattle to piss off and go find a city that really wants a team.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2grjmoa9 said:
twisted_steel2":2grjmoa9 said:
sammyc521":2grjmoa9 said:

Balmer doesn't own Staples, and there are other examples, as well as at least 10 NHL owners don't own their arenas.

So it's not a unique thing that would stop an owner from going after an NBA or NHL team in Seattle.

Ideally I think owners like to have that revenue stream and control, but billionaires aren't stupid. If they see an opportunity to own a financial asset with the growth potential of a pro sports franchise? In the 8th largest market with tremendous affluency like Seattle?

Seattle is the 8th largest market? Since when did we become top 10? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bo73cqe said:
twisted_steel2":1bo73cqe said:
sammyc521":1bo73cqe said:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2gbhsxsy said:
Sgt. Largent":2gbhsxsy said:
twisted_steel2":2gbhsxsy said:
sammyc521":2gbhsxsy said:

Sorry, 14th. Doesn't change the narrative...............and it's probably top 5 for affluency, which is even more important when leagues and owners are deciding where to expand and move franchises.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Msfann":3lfkvion said:
I would be happy with NHL only at this point. I miss the Sonics as much as the rest of you but when they took the Sonics from us it soiled the entire sport for me.

Also if I was Hanson I would tell the city of seattle to piss off and go find a city that really wants a team.

spot on

Hansen needs to say "eff you" to the city of the Seattle. Force the people (us) to change who governs our city. It's the only way. THE ONLY WAY. If we don't change who we vote for, nothing will change. WAKE UP FOLKS

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":3nxq1wlt said:
Msfann":3nxq1wlt said:

spot on

Hansen needs to say "eff you" to the city of the Seattle. Force the people (us) to change who governs our city. It's the only way. THE ONLY WAY. If we don't change who we vote for, nothing will change. WAKE UP FOLKS
I agree. Only part is I can't change it because I don't live in Seattle.

randomation

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9zjv6zgn said:
twisted_steel2":9zjv6zgn said:
sammyc521":9zjv6zgn said:

Ballmer is creating his own stadium precisely because he isn't getting the money from owning it. A lot of NBA teams apparently lost money last year. No billionaire is going to want to deal with a structure tied in with dealing with the SCC.

Latest posts