2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Miranda should not be in the rotation after this week. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he hasn't looked good for the past couple months.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
So have we all reached a comfort level with Zunino? If he keeps this up, I"m pretty comfortable with him starting.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1uyes93z said:
So have we all reached a comfort level with Zunino? If he keeps this up, I"m pretty comfortable with him starting.
At this point he is what he is. A streaky hitter with some power. Dude was hitting .190 on May 31 with only 1 home run, then he hit .304 in June with 10 home runs, then followed that up with a .188 average in July but added 5 more home runs. Looks like September might be another hot month for him, he's currently hitting .394 for the month with 4 homers.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2iw2xufm said:
Bobblehead":2iw2xufm said:
At this point he is what he is. A streaky hitter with some power. Dude was hitting .190 on May 31 with only 1 home run, then he hit .304 in June with 10 home runs, then followed that up with a .188 average in July but added 5 more home runs. Looks like September might be another hot month for him, he's currently hitting .394 for the month with 4 homers.

.248 with 25 hr and 2 weeks to go. You could do a lot worse at catcher. His 470 foot blast was ultra impressive the other day.

Even more impressive are the Cleveland Indians. 22 in a row, AL record, 2nd best winning streak all time. Truly incredible and almost unbelievable in the modern age.

Great to see all the M's bats catch fire lately. Curious to see how Paxton does tonight.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
There aren't many good catchers. If you can hit around .250 with 25+ HR's you are a top 10 catcher. Catcher is like the TE of baseball, it isn't very deep.

I think M's go on a roll here, even with Houston series coming up. The problem is the Twins keep winning. I don't see us catching the Twins, but I think we are the biggest threat to them.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'm really hating the Astros.. they just seem to have our number.

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1r02z8ju said:
I'm really hating the Astros.. they just seem to have our number.
They have better pitching and better hitting. Other than that we can kick their asses. :34853_doh:

Kind of sad. I was actually worried that we had too much hope attached with Felix's return. He ended up having a better outing than Pax did. Meanwhile, the 2017 window is rapidly closing on us.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":lhnfotqy said:
They're damn good. Very capable of beating the Indians

I still like the Indians to come out of the AL. Best starting pitching in the AL, a great bullpen and a stacked lineup. They basically have the same lineup from last years World Series team with the additions of Encarnacion and Bruce.

Without the addition of Verlander I wouldn't have considered the Astros to come out the AL, but they definitely have a shot. The problem with Houston, is their ace isn't as good as Kluber or Sale.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I give up...
Too many injuries and it took it's toll but the team played tough all year.
Hope they can improve and stay healthy next year..Please!
Maybe Gaylord Perry can still pitch :lol:
See you next year fellow M's fan.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
A positive in light of the ongoing Mariner collapse is Mike Leake. Another outstanding outing for him. Very much looking forward to him near the front of the rotation next year. He's very durable, unlike Paxton and keeps himself in shape, unlike Felix. 6 straight years with 30 or more starts and very consistent with ERAs in the 3s every year. Definitely one of the better Dipoto moves.

Vincent, like last year, has been overused by Servais and is showing signs of arm fatigue. A real shame, but typical Servais pitching mismanagement.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Terrible outing by Felix. 3 1/3 5 ER, 3 BB. Overall another real shit year by him. He offers absolutely nothing, is hurt half the time and of course no one would want his contract. 7 years, $175 mil-what a joke. I wish he would just retire in the offseason...but he won't and we'll have to endure another 15 hapless, mediocre starts next year and multiple DL stops. To those that thought once Felix and Paxton come back we'd make a run--nope.

I was really optimistic about this team at various points, and when you grew up watching the piss show this organization has put out for 40 years it really wears on you...and then you get this nasty thing called hope and you get burned again.

If you told me as a kid watching in the Kingdome Jim Presley, Alvin Davis, Harold, Langston, Hendu, Phelps, Gorman Thomas, Gar, Omar, Matt Moore, Mike Morgan etc that 30 some years later this team will never have even been to the Series once, I don't know what I would've thought. Would I still have watched so passionately? Probably so. 17 year postseason drought continues into next year now.

sutz

Reaction score
I was afraid of this. All the hope attached to getting Felix back and him having such disappointing outings. Frankly, I don't expect much more out of Pax tonight. Not mathematically eliminated yet, but with Cleveland coming in this weekend, odds are the M's are doomed. Nobody with any brains would bet on this team now.

Couple of gems in the bullpen they found this year going forward, but they should just shut down all of the "King's Court" BS. It's become a sad joke. I'm beginning to wonder why they would give him two more starts. When was his last quality start? July?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1hday8ph said:
Terrible outing by Felix. 3 1/3 5 ER, 3 BB. Overall another real shit year by him. He offers absolutely nothing, is hurt half the time and of course no one would want his contract. 7 years, $175 mil-what a joke. I wish he would just retire in the offseason...but he won't and we'll have to endure another 15 hapless, mediocre starts next year and multiple DL stops. To those that thought once Felix and Paxton come back we'd make a run--nope.

I was really optimistic about this team at various points, and when you grew up watching the piss show this organization has put out for 40 years it really wears on you...and then you get this nasty thing called hope and you get burned again.

If you told me as a kid watching in the Kingdome Jim Presley, Alvin Davis, Harold, Langston, Hendu, Phelps, Gorman Thomas, Gar, Omar, Matt Moore, Mike Morgan etc that 30 some years later this team will never have even been to the Series once, I don't know what I would've thought. Would I still have watched so passionately? Probably so. 17 year postseason drought continues into next year now.
I hear you on the wears on you part.I was there too same as you,remember Julio Cruz?lol
I can only offer you the thought of Cubs fans..A lot of generations of die hards passed before they won.
I'm a Mariner die hard and I can't root for any team above the only one I grew up with and saw.
The best I can do is make the Cubs my NL team but between the two-It's the Mariners.
Someday it will be our time,I may not be around then but I will know somehow.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Pathetic way to end the season, getting swept at home to the Rangers. They were likely not going to make the playoffs, but I thought they could at least make things interesting. With the Twins playing a series on the road against the Yankees and Angels playing the Indians, we had a chance to at least cut it to within a couple games of the second wildcard.

Whoever gets this second wildcard is going to lose to the Yanks. Neither us, the Angels or the Twins are very good.

I think we go for it again next year, but we need to get at least a couple more starting pitchers. Dipoto cannot depend on Felix next year. As much as I like our offense, we need to have more leaders. Maybe I'm wrong, but at times it feels like Cano is just collecting his paycheck and going through the motions.

sutz

Reaction score
Sure didn't see that coming. Ramirez one-hits the Indians for 8 innings, and Cruz with the walk off homer in the bottom of the ninth.

About 95% chance that it's too little too late, but qute a nice little win.

sutz

Reaction score
So who makes it to 40 homers this year, Cruz or Miranda? :34853_doh:

I think we pissed Cleveland off yesterday. :(

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":3rv103cq said:
So who makes it to 40 homers this year, Cruz or Miranda?

Going down to the wire for sure but I think they both reach this important milestone.

After today's pathetic, hapless effort in which we're just 2 more losses away from clinching a losing season, the evaluation has been made...the entire organization...will be put down. It's just time and for the good of everyone involved. Say your goodbyes while you can. There'll be no more pain at least. It'll be quick and easy and the M's will just go to sleep-they were 40 years old afterall. So when you see the giant needle from Space being injected into Safeco, don't cry and don't fret, the franchise will just be in a better place.