2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
You guys are still watching? The season is over. Another awful season in the books. We belong with the Cleveland Browns and Sacramento Kings. Just horrible sports franchises. I enjoy how the M's are celebrating their 40 year anniversary, like we have anything to show in those 40 years. All we have to brag about is our epic 2001 season that ended early in the playoffs and Griffey.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":5n569s19 said:
You guys are still watching? The season is over. Another awful season in the books. We belong with the Cleveland Browns and Sacramento Kings. Just horrible sports franchises. I enjoy how the M's are celebrating their 40 year anniversary, like we have anything to show in those 40 years. All we have to brag about is our epic 2001 season that ended early in the playoffs and Griffey.
Well, we had a couple of playoff appearances in the 90's IIRC. This year, we put too much reliance on old pitchers with not enough left in the tank. Then, coming down to the wire, we gave Felix and Pax 4 rehab starts. :34853_doh:

Not sure what to think about the hitting. Looks good on paper, but put up a good starter and they wilt. And errors? Stupid base running gaffes? Cursed.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
And we enter the final weekend of the season. It's still strange how it always seemed like this year's team was so much more talented than last year's but could just never put it altogether. And then they all just fell apart at the end. Even without the injuries, I don't think they would've made the playoffs.

Next year brings many questions even if fully healthy. The only 2 SP you could pencil in would be Paxton and Leake. Albers could compete for a back end spot and the rest is really up in the air. You can't really count Felix because he'll be hurt or ineffective half the year. Paxton won't stay healthy for the full year either and will be on the DL once or twice so they need 5-6 others to rely on over the course of the season. They need a serious upgrade and I hope they're willing to spend some in FA for a marquee arm.

Gamel and Haniger had nice rookie seasons and are bona fide starting OFers. Seager disappointed this season-do they consider trading him in a package deal to get a big name SP? If they're just .500 by the break next year will they go young and trade away Cruz? Cano? Would anyone want Felix and his ridiculous contract? Could they acquire any decent prospects? Do we really want to rebuild yet again? What's the over/under on total trades Dipoto makes this offseason? 4? 5? Will be an interesting offseason but myself like the entire fanbase simply want a playoff team...

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Is Cruz a free agent now? I'd like to re-sign him but at any point he could get old and fall apart.

I take it Iwakuma is gone and probably done.

Would take anything for Felix tbh to get his salary off the books.

Does Smyly come back or will we leave that?

Cano slowed down a bit this year which is worrying given the amount of years left on his contract.

Got to be a big focus on starting pitching in the off season.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I love watching Mariners baseball so much, win or lose. The season finale in any season is the longest day of the year for me. Knowing that the next M's game won't be for another 5 months(long months it seems). Football games are exciting to watch, but there's just something about M's baseball that keeps my happiness up during the year. Don't give me all the crap about the fact that they suck and it's the same year every year. I'll admit I stop paying full attention around September, but I realize during the last game of the year that I should've kept watching games because there will be a point in the year where it will all end and I have to enjoy it.

The thing that makes baseball so awesome compared to Football and basketball, there's a hundred and sixty to ball games a year. Football has 13-16 games and basketball has between 30-82. Baseball games are played everyday and is a part of my summer life, something I have to look forward to watch when I get home from work.

But I will learn to get over it a couple of weeks in, because I know it will be March 29th before I know it. It's always a pleasure to watch M's baseball.

Go M's.

sutz

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":dfjsieqc said:
Is Cruz a free agent now? I'd like to re-sign him but at any point he could get old and fall apart.
Cruz is signed through 2018.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm really liking the Ryon Healy trade. 25 years old, 5 years of team control at low cost. Hit 305 with 13 HR in his rookie year (half a season) and then last year hit 275 with 25 HR and that's all playing in a cavernous ballpark in Oakland. I don't think it's a stretch to say Healy could be a 30 HR guy in a little better ballpark and with more protection around him in the lineup.

sutz

Reaction score
Sounds like a good get. Guess that means Yonder will be moving on. Kind of liked him, but if we can get a long term solution at 1b, that would solidify our infield for the foreseeable future. Kind of hate to lose Pagan, but hopefully we will beef up the pitching as the off season goes along.

We should probably start a new thread. ;)

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":wf7z3879 said:
Sounds like a good get. Guess that means Yonder will be moving on. Kind of liked him, but if we can get a long term solution at 1b, that would solidify our infield for the foreseeable future. Kind of hate to lose Pagan, but hopefully we will beef up the pitching as the off season goes along.

We should probably start a new thread. ;)
I would lock this one, and direct to the new thread but I no longer have the keys. 8)