Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

dopeboy206

Reaction score
randomation":21kksa1o said:
Sgt. Largent":21kksa1o said:
twisted_steel2":21kksa1o said:
sammyc521":21kksa1o said:
This timeline is all about the NHL's 2020 season

I really really want the NHL here, but just can't get over how crappy they treated Hansen through all this. Just really sours any excitement I have in potentially getting a hockey team. I mean I'll roll with this if we get a hockey team, that's the silver lining here. But wow this has been some dirty slimy politics.

And maybe this will change, but I can't ever see the NBA coming back. No way a potential NBA owner is going to want to drop billions on a team, then have to play in an arena where they're like 3rd on the list of tenants, and don't even own it, and get no revenue from it? Bonderman and Bruckheimer are in bed with OVG and getting in on the ground floor, they're gonna be fine.

But an NBA owner? I just can't see it. :?

Balmer doesn't own Staples, and there are other examples, as well as at least 10 NHL owners don't own their arenas.

So it's not a unique thing that would stop an owner from going after an NBA or NHL team in Seattle.

Ideally I think owners like to have that revenue stream and control, but billionaires aren't stupid. If they see an opportunity to own a financial asset with the growth potential of a pro sports franchise? In the 8th largest market with tremendous affluency like Seattle?

They'll be lining up my friend.

Ballmer is creating his own stadium precisely because he isn't getting the money from owning it. A lot of NBA teams apparently lost money last year. No billionaire is going to want to deal with a structure tied in with dealing with the SCC.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
randomation":3b3l2xow said:
Sgt. Largent":3b3l2xow said:
twisted_steel2":3b3l2xow said:
sammyc521":3b3l2xow said:
This timeline is all about the NHL's 2020 season

I really really want the NHL here, but just can't get over how crappy they treated Hansen through all this. Just really sours any excitement I have in potentially getting a hockey team. I mean I'll roll with this if we get a hockey team, that's the silver lining here. But wow this has been some dirty slimy politics.

And maybe this will change, but I can't ever see the NBA coming back. No way a potential NBA owner is going to want to drop billions on a team, then have to play in an arena where they're like 3rd on the list of tenants, and don't even own it, and get no revenue from it? Bonderman and Bruckheimer are in bed with OVG and getting in on the ground floor, they're gonna be fine.

But an NBA owner? I just can't see it. :?

Balmer doesn't own Staples, and there are other examples, as well as at least 10 NHL owners don't own their arenas.

So it's not a unique thing that would stop an owner from going after an NBA or NHL team in Seattle.

Ideally I think owners like to have that revenue stream and control, but billionaires aren't stupid. If they see an opportunity to own a financial asset with the growth potential of a pro sports franchise? In the 8th largest market with tremendous affluency like Seattle?

They'll be lining up my friend.

Ballmer is creating his own stadium precisely because he isn't getting the money from owning it. A lot of NBA teams apparently lost money last year. No billionaire is going to want to deal with a structure tied in with dealing with the SCC.

I get it, it's not ideal for an owner not to at least have partial ownership of the stadium/arena they're playing in.

I was just pointing out that it does happen, so IMO it still wouldn't preclude an ownership group from trying to re-locate to Seattle.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mxd6wkm said:
DJrmb":2mxd6wkm said:
That's exactly how you get business done, especially dealing with public interest groups like mayors, states and councils.

You propose, then you react accordingly.

From the very beginning all Hansen heard from the mayor's and council offices was "yeah sounds awesome, but what about Key Arena?" Yet Hansen continued down the SODO road.

We all knew that the mayor and council wanted Key renovated, and really had no interest in SODO AT LEAST 3-4 years ago. Again, Hansen continued to push SODO.

I love the dude, I would have bailed long before he did. But his fatal mistake was continuing to try and get SODO done, even thought he temperature of the mayor and council for a good 3-4 years was Key Arena, Key Arena, and more Key Arena.

Now Oakview comes around and Hansen sees what he should have seen a long time ago, he's out in the cold with no whale and no development group.

Yeah...for several years there was no other proposal in sight and no leverage against Hansen to push him to the Key Arena proposal. Dealing with Seattle I don't think it's outlandish to let them marinate in the offer for years and keep incrementally upping the ante to avoid negotiating with yourself.

Oakview came around and he knew that was a risk but that doesn't make his approach wrong, or more wrong than moving in small increments to find the spot that would satisfy Seattle but maximize his profits.

I do think it's possible the city didn't shaft Hansen, they simply prioritized Key Arena much more highly than getting basketball or any team. Given the long(er) shot the OVG proposal is to land a basketball team, this explanation stays upright so far to me.

I'm not entirely certain it was the wrong approach by the city either. Wrong for basketball fans perhaps - we'll see - but renovate their asset without adding another potential albatross in 10 years in SODO and alienating the port? Winner winner.

I feel for Queen Anne residents and basketball fans though.

randomation

Reaction score
hawk45":3f1kxgbo said:
Sgt. Largent":3f1kxgbo said:
DJrmb":3f1kxgbo said:
That's exactly how you get business done, especially dealing with public interest groups like mayors, states and councils.

You propose, then you react accordingly.

From the very beginning all Hansen heard from the mayor's and council offices was "yeah sounds awesome, but what about Key Arena?" Yet Hansen continued down the SODO road.

We all knew that the mayor and council wanted Key renovated, and really had no interest in SODO AT LEAST 3-4 years ago. Again, Hansen continued to push SODO.

I love the dude, I would have bailed long before he did. But his fatal mistake was continuing to try and get SODO done, even thought he temperature of the mayor and council for a good 3-4 years was Key Arena, Key Arena, and more Key Arena.

Now Oakview comes around and Hansen sees what he should have seen a long time ago, he's out in the cold with no whale and no development group.

Yeah...for several years there was no other proposal in sight and no leverage against Hansen to push him to the Key Arena proposal. Dealing with Seattle I don't think it's outlandish to let them marinate in the offer for years and keep incrementally upping the ante to avoid negotiating with yourself.

Oakview came around and he knew that was a risk but that doesn't make his approach wrong, or more wrong than moving in small increments to find the spot that would satisfy Seattle but maximize his profits.

I do think it's possible the city didn't shaft Hansen, they simply prioritized Key Arena much more highly than getting basketball or any team. Given the long(er) shot the OVG proposal is to land a basketball team, this explanation stays upright so far to me.

I'm not entirely certain it was the wrong approach by the city either. Wrong for basketball fans perhaps - we'll see - but renovate their asset without adding another potential albatross in 10 years in SODO and alienating the port? Winner winner.

I feel for Queen Anne residents and basketball fans though.

They shafted him. Any other city would be on all fours in front of Hansen after his last offer they probably would have been down there are his first offer of a fully private funded stadium and overpass. Unfortunately the port owns the city council.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/917914689312514049[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IanFurnessSea/status/917938664944025601[/tweet]

Some context, a kid spoke in front of the council, he said he's been going to Portland watching the Trailblazers to get his basketball fix. He wished he had that experience in Seattle.

And that's how Juarez responded to him. :roll:

chris98251

Reaction score
Again it also shows that these idiots have no clue about the fan perspective, WNBA and NBA being compared to each other is something a person who isn't a fan of Basketball in general would say. Both leagues represented on a different level in this City and even a vacated Sonics team is much more widely talked about then the existing Storm Team in general.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Did I hear Mike Salk right this morning that once the MOU for Seattle Center gets confirmed today that the NHL are likely to announce a 2020 Seattle team later this week at league meetings?

Though that would take months to do.

My biggest fear has been that OVG do a Kansas City and build an arena that doesn't get a team and both them and the city are happy doing concerts only.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1swuonap said:
Did I hear Mike Salk right this morning that once the MOU for Seattle Center gets confirmed today that the NHL are likely to announce a 2020 Seattle team later this week at league meetings?

Though that would take months to do.

My biggest fear has been that OVG do a Kansas City and build an arena that doesn't get a team and both them and the city are happy doing concerts only.

Every report I've read said that the NHL has been waiting on this for a year now holding onto their 32nd franchise because they wanted to give Seattle every shot at it.

As cynical as I am towards our bodies of government, I can't see how even they screw this up. It's a slam dunk for the NHL and city to trust the OVG group and their NHL ties to bring a team here once the MOU is approved...........which it is suppose to be 8-1 today.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I think it's a no brainer for the NHL with all the tech money here and the proximity to Vancouver. If for some reason people in Seattle don't 'get' hockey I think there will always be interest up north due to a geographical rivalry with the Canucks. Pretty sure it would be easier and possibly cheaper to get tickets than Canucks games too with the Canucks being the only real show in town.

Surprised the NBA are reluctant and would rather go to smaller areas.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'd love to see a hockey team here..NBA can go take a leap as far as I'm concerned.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":29cq4a8l said:
Anyone read this?

http://www.king5.com/news/local/arena/h ... /496836039

Boy they sure showed all those big meanie sports fans didnt they? :roll:

Holy moly, that's some of the most self righteous sanctimonious crap I've ever read.

I have no doubt the female council members were harassed, but make no mistake this arena deal got done for one reason and one reason only, because the OVG group is renovating the money pit that is Key Arena, and doing it all on their dime.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I get that the Port and council completely mismanaged the Sodo issue and everything is fishy. I also get that Seattle Center is a poor site for an arena.

At this point though, i'm past getting pissed about it and will be delighted if/when an NHL team is announced and will count down the days.

Not sure what this means for the Sonics. If the NHL team is a huge success then you can point to that. The NBA can't point to no facility as i'm guessing it will be 'good enough' when rebuilt and better than other arenas in the league (although SODO may have been far better).

If i'm Hanson I stick the finger up to the city, sell the land to anyone but the port, buy land in Tukwila/Seatac to try and appeal to south Seattle/Tacoma and build my own arena/get an MOU in place designed for NBA. Then try and take as many gigs off the Seattle Center. I doubt the city of Seattle could do much to stop him if he's in Tukwila.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1et3mgrl said:
twisted_steel2":1et3mgrl said:
Anyone read this?

Holy moly, that's some of the most self righteous sanctimonious crap I've ever read.

I have no doubt the female council members were harassed, but make no mistake this arena deal got done for one reason and one reason only, because the OVG group is renovating the money pit that is Key Arena, and doing it all on their dime.

From what i've read, the tax breaks they get will earn them a fortune. So it's own dime but in a round about way still public money. I still don't get how they improve the infrastructure around Key Arena especially the monorail argument.

Maybe some sort of shuttle would work? Park somewhere with lightrail/park and ride access, like husky stadiums car park and have a shuttle service to the arena, maybe keeping a dedicated lane of traffic between the stadium and mercer st?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":uat924n7 said:
Sgt. Largent":uat924n7 said:
twisted_steel2":uat924n7 said:
Anyone read this?

From what i've read, the tax breaks they get will earn them a fortune. So it's own dime but in a round about way still public money. I still don't get how they improve the infrastructure around Key Arena especially the monorail argument.

Maybe some sort of shuttle would work? Park somewhere with lightrail/park and ride access, like husky stadiums car park and have a shuttle service to the arena, maybe keeping a dedicated lane of traffic between the stadium and mercer st?

That's how business works. you rub my back, I'll rub yours.

I'd much rather the arena be in SODO and built by Hansen. It's a better choice all the way around with what you're talking about logistically.

But he grossly miscalculated the temperature of the city and county government, and allowed another group to come in and give our bodies of government what they wanted all along, for the Key site to get renovated.

But enough's enough, we've gone long enough with this nonsense. If it's Key? Then let's go, let's get it done and get hockey and hopefully basketball back. I'm not going to crap all over this because it's not what I wanted. What I want is hockey and basketball, and if the OVG deal is how that gets done? Then I'm in with both feet.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fgef92l said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2fgef92l said:
Sgt. Largent":2fgef92l said:
twisted_steel2":2fgef92l said:
Anyone read this?

That's how business works. you rub my back, I'll rub yours.

I'd much rather the arena be in SODO and built by Hansen. It's a better choice all the way around with what you're talking about logistically.

But he grossly miscalculated the temperature of the city and county government, and allowed another group to come in and give our bodies of government what they wanted all along, for the Key site to get renovated.

But enough's enough, we've gone long enough with this nonsense. If it's Key? Then let's go, let's get it done and get hockey and hopefully basketball back. I'm not going to crap all over this because it's not what I wanted. What I want is hockey and basketball, and if the OVG deal is how that gets done? Then I'm in with both feet.

Agreed on this. If hockey is confirmed this week i'll be counting down the days till the team plays. I don't know shit about hockey but i'll be a fan and learn it. Most likely would watch the games on tv but would try go to a game or 2 a season. I think the sport will do great. There's a winter sport gap in this city, lots of money, lots on incomers and close enough to Canada for people there to take a day trip. If the team starts off playing well...even better. We really only have the Seahawks and Mariners as our pro American sports teams and the Mariners have sucked for so long. I feel hockey will be like the Sounders, appeal to a specific segment of the city but have a passionate and well attended support.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bunch of pissed off women that took it and ran with making sure Hansen did not get a deal, Kudos for finding a way to get the Key done, notice it happens coincidently when we have a newly elected female mayor also. I am Woman hear me roar statement and a vendetta really. Reading the Article she is no Lady, more like a Vindictive Ex Wife that want's to ruin their ex husbands life at all costs.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I cannot wait for the NHL..I never had a hockey jersey before but I will.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1q2fow4d said:
I cannot wait for the NHL..I never had a hockey jersey before but I will.

You gotta call it a hockey "sweater" so you can sound like a legit fan..............and yes I'm super excited. I loved my Sonics, but I'm a bigger hockey fan.

And if you've never been to a hockey match, there's no better sport to see in person than hockey. It's incredible.