Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Big win last night to secure their ninth straight playoff appearance. A win next Sunday and they lock up the #2 seed in the West.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle beats Colorado to get the #2 seed and avoid the knockout round of the playoffs. Of course, the win came with Dempsey earning a stupid red card for throwing an elbow so he'll miss at least the first playoff game and maybe more if he gets a multi-match suspension after running his mouth at the ref afterward.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Nice win to end the regular season for the Sounders. Now they get a bit of break and watch the knockout rounds. Unfortunately they lost Dempsey for their first playoff match.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2w1pfyi3 said:
Nice win to end the regular season for the Sounders. Now they get a bit of break and watch the knockout rounds. Unfortunately they lost Dempsey for their first playoff match.

Some of our best matches have been without Dempsey. It gives Lodeiro the freedom to do what he does best, move all over the place, help maintain possession, make runs and distribute. Much harder for him to do when Dempsey's also in the middle needing his touches.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":13z8zys8 said:
Your Portland Timbers. Cascadia Cup and Western Conference champions.

You mean western conference regular season champions? The winner of the play off semi final is technically the western conference champion.

Not too bummed about Dempsey getting hurt, I expect Lodeiro to ball. He looks really good the last game.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3bg3mt5w said:
Not too bummed about Dempsey getting hurt, I expect Lodeiro to ball. He looks really good the last game.
Dempsey's not hurt, he got a red card in the last match.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I think Seattle's going to go with a defensive line-up to counter Vancouver's strength, which is the counterattack, and look for a draw.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3ks7e9xb said:
I think Seattle's going to go with a defensive line-up to counter Vancouver's strength, which is the counterattack, and look for a draw.

Nice call.

But that was a terribly played match, and not what the MLS is looking for in a playoff format. Maybe some critics are right, EVERY playoff match should be a one game knockout match, and not home and away where both teams play scared for 90 minutes. Cause that's what I saw last night.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I feel like midweek has 1-1 written all over it and Montero bites us in the ass.

Was a pretty brutal game to watch yesterday.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I saw a stat in yesterday's game that there was one shot on goal total the entire game between the two teams. Sgt was right when he predicted the Sounders would be playing for a draw. This is why hate the playoff format for soccer. It encourages teams to play safe. Knockout round throughout the playoffs would be a good direction to go for solving this.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Half of the Timbers roster has gotten hurt either tonight, or in between the last game and this one. Nagbe, Guzman, Chara, Blanco and Mabiala all down.

Incredibly boring game. Teams dont even appear to be trying to score.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Houston should be fined for the state the field was on. Bit of a joke that the Portland offense couldn't score against effin Senderos. He's abysmal these days.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Great performance!!! Making up for all those sigi years where we laid an egg.

Any chance morris or ozzy will be ready for the next leg? If its portland, the away game is going to be brutal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1vr01pfj said:
Great performance!!! Making up for all those sigi years where we laid an egg.

Any chance morris or ozzy will be ready for the next leg? If its portland, the away game is going to be brutal.

idk, Morris sounded pretty dejected before the match, like he wasn't even close.

Ozzie had a setback, but sounds like it's something that might be better by next week, or the 2nd match of the Conference Finals.

As far as the match goes, I'd be pissed if I was a Whitecaps fan. Carl Robinson's gameplan for the entire series was defensive, defeatist and passive. They didn't even try and push the match until Dempsey scored his first goal.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sucks about Morris, he's been out a while as well.

I feel like under Schmetzer we seem more built for the play offs over 2 leg games. In the regular season we got quite a lot of draws that work well over 2 legs. Bunker down away from home and try nick an away goal then use home field advantage to see it through.

If and it's a big if we get through the next round I can see it being Toronto we play again, a Toronto team who are going to want revenge and throw the kitchen sink at us. Would be hilarious if we beat them again, given how dominant they've been in the regular season and how whiny their fans were after the final last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":45pymo7c said:
I feel like under Schmetzer we seem more built for the play offs over 2 leg games. In the regular season we got quite a lot of draws that work well over 2 legs. Bunker down away from home and try nick an away goal then use home field advantage to see it through.

I think the way we play without Morris is also conducive to this strategy. We play far more narrow and clogged without Morris on the right to get some width on the other side from Jones, makes it much harder for clubs to break us down through the middle.

Literally the only offense Vancouver had last night was low percentage long balls and Montero diving for possible penalty set pieces. I don't remember him being such a flopper.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I do, I also remember Montero disappearing in the play offs as well and extremely streaky. I didn't realize he was only on loan at Vancouver.

We are going to miss Jones when he leaves. Hope someone as fast can replace him. I imagine Evans is probably gone too, think he needs a change of scene and will sync up with Sigi again in LA.

I liked Lodeiro being further forward last night, played some really great balls and created a lot. Hope that continues.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2ah3c4zs said:
I liked Lodeiro being further forward last night, played some really great balls and created a lot. Hope that continues.

Lodeiro had a great match, but I was irritated with how many easy giveaways he had...........a more dangerous club would have made us pay. He's gotta be more careful with the ball, especially on our half of the pitch.

Also agree on Jones, I wish we could figure out a way to pay him to stay. But he's already said he's done here. He's so damn dangerous on the ball, it's fun to watch.