Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3oo87v9m said:
Do yellow card accumulations count for the final as well or does it get cleared? Pretty sure we have Lodeiro and a few others walking that tight rope. If so, maybe limit their minutes next week.

Gotta make it to the finals, then we're good. So yeah guys that are on the edge need to be extra careful on the 2nd leg match.

Maulbert

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1sbk5pfa said:
Your Portland Timbers. Cascadia Cup and Western Conference champions.

Not a soccer fan, but always a Seattle/Washington fan. So I have to do it:

c8434d164f82e8bc4de1f5068bbdad86d186c998.jpg

Oregon: Washington's Toilet.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Western Conference Champions :mrgreen:

Gonna be tough next week but proud of the team no matter what. I said at the start of the season we just seem built for the play offs, just had to get there first. Really like this teams depth this year. Svensson, Bruin, Leerdham and Rodriguez have been excellent additions to the squad. Shipp has been okay. Credit to Lagerway who was getting it tight off of fans last season.

You look at our options on the bench- Alonso, Morris etc as well and it's much better than last years options.

I'd keep mostly the same lineup as tonight for the final. Bring on Morris later in the game. Only decision is who partners Roldan- Ozzy, Svensson or Rodriguez. I'd play Svensson so as not to disrupt the chemistry built.

Toronto will be all guns blazing next week, determined on revenge. I'd say we are the hotter team but they have some great quality up front.

I doubt we park the bus this time with Dempsey and Bruin there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1y7ys5go said:
Toronto will be all guns blazing next week, determined on revenge. I'd say we are the hotter team but they have some great quality up front.

Maybe we can use this to our advantage, TFC's the one with all the pressure on them to rectify last year's Cup loss and finish off this record setting season.

I LOVE where we're at, and I LOVE the mental toughness and workmanlike mindset that Schmetzer's ingrained into this club. Last night was a perfect example, a Sigi club would have let up and allowed a wounded Houston club to get back into it and maybe even choked away the two goal advantage.

Not Schmetzer, that match was never in doubt. That's what great clubs do, so I'm very optimistic about our chances in Toronto next weekend. We've got the grit, experience, form and depth to finish this thing off.

253hawk

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":3v4hof3f said:
KitsapGuy":3v4hof3f said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MichelleLudtka/status/936463081739206656[/tweet]

Confused about this post? Why are we worried about red cards?

I think she was just clarifying the difference between the two, since a red applies directly to the player's next game. Even though Houston's season is done, Martinez will still have to sit out the first game of the 2018 season whereas we won't have to worry about Nouhou's or Jones' yellows from last night carrying into the final.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Congrats Sounders on your Western Conference Championship. Even though their regular season record doesn't show it, I believe the Sounders are a better team than TFC. The depth this team has is unreal. They are on fire.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Learned a long time ago that the MLS season is effin meaningless. Sigi used to have us near the top of the table a lot of the time and when we won the Supporters Shield is was pretty anti climatic. If you can put some run of form together you'll usually make the play offs. The play offs is just about getting hot at the right time.

Some GM's build their teams to dominate the regular season, some are better at 2 legged games in cups.

Where MLS doesn't get much credit for is how daunting the travelling and schedule is, on top of the strict salary cap. European teams bitch all the time about having to travel to the like of eastern Europe and parts of Asia in the champions league and how it makes them tired. The Sounders regularly travel 6 hours to the east coast or the south and east coast times vice versa. All that time changes etc takes its toll. Players have to deal with extreme heat in parts of the south and east coast and sometimes extreme cold/snow in the likes of Toronto at this time of year. It's something I feel is taken for granted when factoring in the difficulty of the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3spgz11e said:
Where MLS doesn't get much credit for is how daunting the travelling and schedule is, on top of the strict salary cap. European teams bitch all the time about having to travel to the like of eastern Europe and parts of Asia in the champions league and how it makes them tired. The Sounders regularly travel 6 hours to the east coast or the south and east coast times vice versa. All that time changes etc takes its toll. Players have to deal with extreme heat in parts of the south and east coast and sometimes extreme cold/snow in the likes of Toronto at this time of year. It's something I feel is taken for granted when factoring in the difficulty of the league.

I think this is part of the MLS's master plan, to expand to the point of being like the NFL, four divisions instead of two to cut down on the travel. Like the NFL, play your division opponents more often, and rotate the travel to play other clubs outside your division.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ex007dy said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2ex007dy said:

I think this is part of the MLS's master plan, to expand to the point of being like the NFL, four divisions instead of two to cut down on the travel. Like the NFL, play your division opponents more often, and rotate the travel to play other clubs outside your division.

Even with that though there's still far more travelling than Europe. The nearest teams to us are Vancouver and Portland which is a still a few hour drive or California teams which is a couple hour flight. European teams usually have teams within the same city or nearby towns. Think Russia would be the closest country who's teams have to travel long distances for league games but even they have umpteen Moscow teams who all play each other. Furthest distance in England is what Newcastle to Southampton currently? 30-45 minute flight.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2n2auruv said:
Sgt. Largent":2n2auruv said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2n2auruv said:

Even with that though there's still far more travelling than Europe. The nearest teams to us are Vancouver and Portland which is a still a few hour drive or California teams which is a couple hour flight. European teams usually have teams within the same city or nearby towns. Think Russia would be the closest country who's teams have to travel long distances for league games but even they have umpteen Moscow teams who all play each other. Furthest distance in England is what Newcastle to Southampton currently? 30-45 minute flight.

For sure, I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of all this expansion, other than lining the pockets of the current owners with expansion fees.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wni9wi8x said:
Glasgow Seahawk":wni9wi8x said:
Sgt. Largent":wni9wi8x said:
Glasgow Seahawk":wni9wi8x said:

For sure, I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of all this expansion, other than lining the pockets of the current owners with expansion fees.

I think you give MLS too much credit in forward planning and not being greedy but I can see them use that as the excuse for expanding more rather than cash grab. Still would prefer if they sorted New England's and NYCFC's stadium situations out before more expansion. They seem to be strict with new teams joining (other than NYCFC) but ignore those 2 teams. I hope Detroit don't get a team using Ford Field. At least Seattle and Atlanta's stadiums were designed with the sport in mind, mostly fill their stadiums and can tarp off sections that doesn't make it super obvious unlike New England.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
253hawk":1vbq4lic said:
TransGenderHawkFan":1vbq4lic said:
KitsapGuy":1vbq4lic said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MichelleLudtka/status/936463081739206656[/tweet]

Confused about this post? Why are we worried about red cards?

I think she was just clarifying the difference between the two, since a red applies directly to the player's next game. Even though Houston's season is done, Martinez will still have to sit out the first game of the 2018 season whereas we won't have to worry about Nouhou's or Jones' yellows from last night carrying into the final.

I understand how it works, but it just seemed out of left field.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is she maybe referencing cumulative yellow cards?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not a huge soccer fan, but I’m happy for the Sounders and the Seattle Sounders fanbase.
Great organization, extremely loyal fanbase, and great team.

Im a big believer in local civic pride!

GO SOUNDERS! :2thumbs:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm excited as hell for this weekend. Of all the teams though I don't want to lose to its Toronto. Mostly because of that stupid trophy case they made for the MLS Cup that has been sitting empty for years but also because there fans are whiners about last season and us parking the bus.