US Mens Soccer

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1xxkdk1k said:
I've added central midfield to the list of positional breakdowns.

This is a list with a lot of hope and promise. So many young players mixed with international clubs and in MLS.

Keep an eye on Jackson Yuell, San Jose.

Minnesota kid.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3b8cvi2d said:
hawkfan68":3b8cvi2d said:
And apparently USSoccer is now looking into the possibility of hosting Italy, Chile, Ghana, and others for a series of friendlies next Summer before the World Cup.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/930551857721856000[/tweet]

Whoever is doing the list does a great job

CAMs: ugh. Bleak list. Encouraging that so many players are challenging themselves outside MLS
Wingers: little better. Lots of talented players spread out across the world

4 more kids I’ve had the chance to coach against (including 2 15 year olds).

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1h2iapvb said:
Sgt. Largent":1h2iapvb said:
Uncle Si":1h2iapvb said:
I'm not losing my mind over this. I obviously wanted them to qualify. I also hoped that Arenas would submit a resignation today either way so the program, free of the concerns over qualification, could move forward in the way Klinsmann saw. Hoping the results finally spur that along anyways.

My guess is Gulati is forced out first, then the search will begin for the next manager.

No way in hell either stays, or at least they shouldn't. This is Gulati's failure first, he should be the first to go.

The question is do we replace Arena quickly? Or wait until after the WC so we can go after a higher profile more successful manager? That usually means someone who's in the middle of managing another country in the WC.

Arenas will be the first to go, and there should be no hurry to replace him. However, what should take place is an overhaul at the younger age groups. Start promoting top, young American coaches (Caleb Porter) and move them into positions of greater influence. .

So Caleb Porter just out of nowhere resigned as coach of the Timbers. Any chance he's getting the National coach job?

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index ... ut_as.html

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Decent chance. But I don’t think the national team is doing anything there until at least after the election in February and maybe not even until after the World Cup. I still the US is looking for a bigger name (right ow wrong, I don’t know I like Porter though. Would be a big move for a 42 year old)

So if Porter did resign for a post with the National team it could mean its not the first team job. He may be eyeing up something in Europe, but hard to say with all those leagues in mid-season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1id1h645 said:
So Caleb Porter just out of nowhere resigned as coach of the Timbers. Any chance he's getting the National coach job?

As much as Klinsmann was kinda a pain in the ass within the US Soccer Federation, IMO that's the kind of manager they'll go after, a big foreign manager that's not going to play favorites like a stateside manager might and whip this program into shape.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ghwvjoi said:
JSeahawks":3ghwvjoi said:

As much as Klinsmann was kinda a pain in the ass within the US Soccer Federation, IMO that's the kind of manager they'll go after, a big foreign manager that's not going to play favorites like a stateside manager might and whip this program into shape.

That's possibly what they should do. But if Gulati is still president it is not what they will do. the USSF and its partners have made it quite clear the primary objective is making money.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3rh9dx80 said:
I don't know why it took so long, but the US is finally, for the first time, holding a youth national team camp that comprises all of the youth rosters, from U-16 through U-20. Hopefully this can become a regular thing. Full rosters are listed at the link.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/1 ... ingle-camp

Good find. I imagine it has alot to do with the newly imposed winter breaks the DAs take (MLS idea).

Side note, coached against 5 of those boys. Excited to see so many American kids playing abroad at a young age as well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":4zkws3h5 said:

Yeah... the USMNT need players of his caliber in that position. It was handled poorly on their end.

But... if they made the damned WC he would be in camp in January. That's more to do with it. As soon as he suits up for Mexico this summer his name will end up on transfer lists all over Europe

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Speaking of the January camp, the roster was just announced.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 4/0), Cody Cropper (New England Revolution; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Danny Acosta (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Justin Morrow (Toronto FC/CAN; 3/0), Ike Opara (Sporting Kansas City; 0/0), Tim Parker (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN; 0/0), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Brandon Vincent (Chicago Fire; 1/0), Walker Zimmerman (Los Angeles Football Club; 1/0)

MIDFIELDERS (11): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 1/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 15/2), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Marlon Hairston (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Ian Harkes (D.C. United; 0/0), Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 1/0), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution; 3/1), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 2/0), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy; 37/6)

FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 27/3), Dom Dwyer (Orlando City SC; 4/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 24/5), Christian Ramirez (Minnesota United FC; 0/0), Rubio Rubin (Unattached; 4/0), CJ Sapong (Philadelphia Union; 3/0)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/0 ... nuary-camp

Uncle Si

Reaction score
basically the "who isn't playing in Europe" camp.

Love to see Cropper's name up there though. Good on him

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
U.S. loses Jonathan Gonzales to Mexico. Terrible news, one of the bright young stars that's spend his entire youth in the U.S. system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... 83421ac965

But this is what happens when you clean house and don't have an expressed lined out direction on where the program is going, or who's going to lead it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mk5rwds said:
U.S. loses Jonathan Gonzales to Mexico. Terrible news, one of the bright young stars that's spend his entire youth in the U.S. system.

But this is what happens when you clean house and don't have an expressed lined out direction on where the program is going, or who's going to lead it.

addressed up the thread a bit...

He seems pretty bent out of shape over not being communicated with regarding the November call out. He was left off to continue his play with his club team (reasonable). The lack of communication is poor.

I believe the USMNT has a direction, and is pretty aware of who will be leading it. National teams go through transitions like this all the time (how many England coaches have there been since you started watching the World cup? 4? 5? How about France? Brazil? Italy?)

Gonzales chose Mexico for one of two reasons: a. he really was upset he wasnt informed as to why he wasn't being called up. 2. he is being told he will be with the big club this Summer.

Im leaning 2. Which is fair to him. He may have aspirations of being noticed and getting a job at a bigger club

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3gmw1cba said:
Sgt. Largent":3gmw1cba said:

addressed up the thread a bit...

He seems pretty bent out of shape over not being communicated with regarding the November call out. He was left off to continue his play with his club team (reasonable). The lack of communication is poor.

I believe the USMNT has a direction, and is pretty aware of who will be leading it. National teams go through transitions like this all the time (how many England coaches have there been since you started watching the World cup? 4? 5? How about France? Brazil? Italy?)

Gonzales chose Mexico for one of two reasons: a. he really was upset he wasnt informed as to why he wasn't being called up. 2. he is being told he will be with the big club this Summer.

Im leaning 2. Which is fair to him. He may have aspirations of being noticed and getting a job at a bigger club

The lack of communication and frustration of Gonzales's non call up IS a microcosm of why he left. We're dragging our feet on the new manager until the president elections are finished.

Which should be the way it goes, you always want your new president to be forefront in the manager search.......................but this is bad timing for the program moving forward a Mexico gets ready to go to the World Cup.

And not sure how you can say the USMNT has a direction when there's no one at the controls right now, president or manager.

This happens even when you're program is healthy, so it's not the end of days. Just frustrating to see a bright young talent that's spend his entire youth career in our system leave for our biggest rival.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Claudio Reyna and Tab Ramos have been directing the program for 6 years. The Senior team is its own entity. You’re throwing way too much weight on the head coach. That’s not why this kid left and it’s not the issue with the program.

These programs go through head coach and director changes all the time. Big countries and small. And players makes these changes all the time.

You want to pin this on something.. it’s not having a World Cup. That’s frustrating as hell. Losing players because the senior squad sucks is frustrating. Hiring a crap manager who doesn't represent the vision the players are pushing is frustrating. I think exciting times are on the horizon. But without the tournament payout, players like this kid will be tough to keep.

6 months and everyone is back at the same spot.