Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

dopeboy206

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1d5kkkdg said:
dopeboy206":1d5kkkdg said:
I don't mind red. Why does everything in Seattle has to be blue or green? Those are kinda played out to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/b The only thing red in Seattle is when red tide happens.
Red is for the Cardinals,Reds and Red Sox ect.
idc that blue and green is played out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m0ng0

Reaction score
you guys are so cute, you are going to spend 600m to gold plate a dumpster? has anyone committed to paying the expansion/application fee yet? :p

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
m0ng0":31t30xvz said:
you guys are so cute, you are going to spend 600m to gold plate a dumpster? has anyone committed to paying the expansion/application fee yet? :p

Yea, the expansion application is for the David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer ownership group. It's not an open application, its specifically for that group. So I assume they'll be paying it once awarded the expansion franchise.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Has the Seattle group payed the 10 million expansion application fee yet? I would love to see the NHL in the Northwest, I would prefer Portland :p but I would be a fan for either city, I just wonder how committed they really are

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I think they're 100% committed. They've been involved int he KeyArena renovation the whole time as well.

Its not a coincidence that once the city approved the MOU for the Key renovation, the next day the NHL announced they can fill out the expansion team application.

I think behind the scenes, this is all done and inevitable.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Can't they get it earlier and just play in Portland or BC for a year.. like some other franchises have done in the past?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3ocw8pq4 said:
Can't they get it earlier and just play in Portland or BC for a year.. like some other franchises have done in the past?

Have there been expansion franchises that have played in other states and countries?

I could see the Tacoma Dome, that holds 20k. But if you're the new ownership group, why rush it? Gotta lay the groundwork for your entire organizational structure, that can take years.

Head coach, GM, assistants, scouts, internal offices like marketing to start promoting, advertising and selling season tix, etc.

Anyway, no reason to rush this IMO. Let's do it right so we hit the ground running.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2u8a9mle said:
m0ng0":2u8a9mle said:

Yea, the expansion application is for the David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer ownership group. It's not an open application, its specifically for that group. So I assume they'll be paying it once awarded the expansion franchise.
So the people in the state of Washington and King County taxpayers will not have to pay for anything but tickets to watch games correct?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2av5svid said:
twisted_steel2":2av5svid said:
m0ng0":2av5svid said:

So the people in the state of Washington and King County taxpayers will not have to pay for anything but tickets to watch games correct?

Yep, and tens of millions for traffic mitigation.

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local ... -473972650

As much as I was rooting for Hansen, give Lieweke and the OVG group credit. They understood the political situation, came in and kicked some serious ass to get this done.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8zccyuv3 said:
IndyHawk":8zccyuv3 said:
twisted_steel2":8zccyuv3 said:
m0ng0":8zccyuv3 said:

Yep, and tens of millions for traffic mitigation.

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local ... -473972650

As much as I was rooting for Hansen, give Lieweke and the OVG group credit. They understood the political situation, came in and kicked some serious ass to get this done.
Yep. IMHO CH was too nice, and the Seattle CC took advantage of that.
Leiweke knew how to play the political game that’s why his plan succeeded.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If anyone needed another reason Not to go with the "Seattle Sockeyes":

Davenport — a best-selling author based in Western Washington — has filed to trademark the name “Seattle Sockeyes,” as well as for another fictional football team she writes about, the “Seattle Steelheads.” She’s also written about a “Seattle Skookums” baseball team. But she has only filed to protect the name in her books — it won’t prevent a sports team from using the title.
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/387801/seattle-sockeyes-romance/

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2218 ... nchise-bid

Last week, DetroitHockey.net reported that someone who apparently works for OVG registered 38 website domains with 13 possible team names: Cougars, Eagles, Emeralds, Evergreens, Firebirds, Kraken, Rainiers, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Sockeyes, Totems and Whales. The team's potential name has become one of the hottest topics in town, igniting a mad dash for rights.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sacramento Kings are scheduling a preseason game in Seattle next season. Where I don't know as the Key will be a building site and Tacoma Dome gets refurbed. NBA wants their piece of the pie?

chris98251

Reaction score
They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

The Kings? Really the ones that held out and held out on a buy out and flipped the bird at Seattle when we tried to buy them initially or Hansen I should say, Is the NBA and Seattle City Council doing a double bird flip to Hansen and the Sonic fans here?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3l00ubui said:
They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

The Kings? Really the ones that held out and held out on a buy out and flipped the bird at Seattle when we tried to buy them initially or Hansen I should say, Is the NBA and Seattle City Council doing a double bird flip to Hansen and the Sonic fans here?

Opponent is rumored to be Golden State. Kings vs Thunder would be interesting. People may show up to boo both.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1m6s5jxa said:

Yeah the Kings is the only part of this that irritates me.

That's tone deaf on Silver and the NBA's part, to think we'd embrace a pre-season game with the team the league did their best to block coming here.

Durant and the Warriors I understand, we love KD.

I say we sell out the place with everyone wearing Sonics gear, and just scream Go Sonics for 48 minutes ignoring the game entirely.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38u628w8 said:
chris98251":38u628w8 said:

That's tone deaf on Silver and the NBA's part, to think we'd embrace a pre-season game with the team the league did their best to block coming here.

I say we sell out the place with everyone wearing Sonics gear, and just scream Go Sonics for 48 minutes ignoring the game entirely.

Ahh better yet start the Super and other side of the arena Sonics Cheer.

Ruminator

Reaction score
chris98251":33occenj said:
Sgt. Largent":33occenj said:
chris98251":33occenj said:

Ahh better yet start the Super and other side of the arena Sonics Cheer.

Would love to see either happen.