Anybody looking forward to the Winter olympics?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If so, what are you excited about? I love the summer olympics, but winter doesnt really do much for me. Too much stuff racing against the clock or being judged instead of head to head competition. I do enjoy watching the short track speed skating.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Endless hours of men's and women's curling. It's not for everybody but this stuff's addictive.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love the Olympics, but I don't love how they're broadcast anymore.

I'd love to have a conversation with NBC's executive directors, cause it seems like they're fixated on the female demographic. It's wall to wall ice skating and fluff segments on the athlete.

I don't care about any of that. I want skiiing, hockey, cross country, biathalon, ski jumping, etc.

Frustrating to me, 3-4 hours of broadcasting every night, and 80% of it is events I don't care about inbetween fluff segments about the athletes.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Olympics needs the cold war to come back.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Yup. I absolutely love the Winter Olympics. I'm mainly looking forward to ice hockey, curling, and skiing. But I watch pretty much everything. The NHL not participating this time around takes some air out of the tires, but I cannot wait to see Hilary Knight and co. get the gold (*fingers crossed*).

Palmegranite":2ftsy4em said:
Endless hours of men's and women's curling. It's not for everybody but this stuff's addictive.

Dilly Dilly!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2d1u3l9r said:

I'd love to have a conversation with NBC's executive directors, cause it seems like they're fixated on the female demographic. It's wall to wall ice skating and fluff segments on the athlete.

I don't care about any of that. I want skiiing, hockey, cross country, biathalon, ski jumping, etc.

Frustrating to me, 3-4 hours of broadcasting every night, and 80% of it is events I don't care about inbetween fluff segments about the athletes.

Count me in. Im all aboard the olympics both winter and summer.

I do agree w you that the primetime nbc coverage is alot more puff pieces then straight sport. But they have their demographics. The nice thing is there are about 3 or 4 other channels that will be airing events.

As the other poster mentioend Curling is awesome!!! Theres actually a curling rink in north seattle that we stopped in at to try curling during one of the last winter olympics.

I love the short track racing, man thats adrenaline packed.

Hockey obviously is awesome! Might have to watch Miracle once before the games.

The skiing stuff is awesome too. Really anything Ill watch it all.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I prefer the winter olympics to the summer games. I love the bobsleds and ski jumpers. Those folks are nuts.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2lhem8yf said:
Sgt. Largent":2lhem8yf said:

Count me in. Im all aboard the olympics both winter and summer.

I do agree w you that the primetime nbc coverage is alot more puff pieces then straight sport. But they have their demographics. The nice thing is there are about 3 or 4 other channels that will be airing events.

As the other poster mentioend Curling is awesome!!! Theres actually a curling rink in north seattle that we stopped in at to try curling during one of the last winter olympics.

I love the short track racing, man thats adrenaline packed.

Hockey obviously is awesome! Might have to watch Miracle once before the games.

The skiing stuff is awesome too. Really anything Ill watch it all.

Bobsledding and luge are kinda fun to watch too. When I see the figure skating on, its an instant change the channel.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1zb8zyx1 said:
So are the Olympics on?

They are! Hard to catch though... you have to wait between hours of figure skating to actually catch anything fun to watch. :D

But they had snowboard cross on last night, that was awesome! Never heard of this, but really fun to watch.

[youtube]-8Xqp77Xdmw[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
I always liked the Figure Skating, maybe because I appreciate how difficult what they do is, skated when I was younger.

kidhawk

Reaction score
My wife likes the figure skating (mostly the pairs and women's). I like the snowboarding, ski jumping, hockey, luge and the like. I've found myself spending more time on NBC Sports watching then I have on NBC itself. In my cable package there are (I believe) 4 different channels with Olympics on most of the time with one being an olympic news and highlights channel. We basically end up channel flipping between what she likes and what I like so she can catch most of her skaters and I can watch the more action oriented events.

I definitely find the Winter Olympics more enjoyable than the summer games, but that may have to do with being brought up in a Winter sports type environment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Now that a lot of the broadcast is live, I almost wish they'd go back to tape delayed. At least then it wouldn't take five minutes and a commercial every 3rd skier, race or skater.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x4kl5rk said:
Now that a lot of the broadcast is live, I almost wish they'd go back to tape delayed. At least then it wouldn't take five minutes and a commercial every 3rd skier, race or skater.

I understand where you're coming from, but the timing of events actually works fairly well for me (for the most part) and the ability to flip channels and not miss too much actually works for the viewing in my home. If this was in Europe or somewhere that the time zone is so far ahead of us that it flips night and day, it wouldn't work well at all. With Korea being (I think) 6 hours behind my time (7 behind west coast), that means when I get home from work, it's around noon there.

P.S. When I say 6 hours behind, I mean in the time of the day....in actuality it's the next day there and they are 18 hours ahead of me and 17 hours ahead of the West coast

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Nobody watched Team USA rip Canada's heart out in women's ice hockey last night? What a frickin awesome game to watch!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WmHBonney":q04xdzrv said:
Nobody watched Team USA rip Canada's heart out in women's ice hockey last night? What a frickin awesome game to watch!
Yep, I'm not a big Olympics guy, but I watched that game, it was great, lots of drama and excitement. A true championship performance.