Zags 2017/2018

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Thought about going to that game and the one prior. Glad I stayed home. It is only 45 mins to 1.5 hour drive. Knowing the area probably the 2 hr drive. yep...38 miles. But I know the area rather well around Boise.

The bad out of bounds call...ya rite....another reason to not believe in the reffing. Glad the Zags overcame tho. On to the 16.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Maulbert":2gvanba6 said:
Hawk-Lock":2gvanba6 said:
Nice win for the Zags. Can't stand them but respect them.

I think Zags have a great shot at reaching the final four. I don't think they are a top four team, but the path is there. If they meet Xavier, they will have to travel all the way out to LA. All the #1 seeds get to stay close to home except for Xavier, so it should be a neutral crowd or a Zags crowd. Got to see if they get by Florida St first though.

Norvell Jr is the real deal, I think if he stays through his senior year he can be one of the best Zags of all time.

Headline: Insufferable Husky fan can't stand the Zags. :p

Great win for the Zags. I hope they can get back and avenge that hose job they received in the championship last year.

Oh I was going to rant about how the Zags got helped by the committee but I figured Nate and the other Zag fans here wouldn't want to hear it. :lol:

I can't stand them but they are the premier program on the west coast.

If anyone wants to hear my rant, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to share.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags have been royally screwed in years past both in seeding and pod placement. I agree that they got a good placement this year but thats the breaks. This year we were under seeded by a line but they put us in the right pod and region.

I expected us to reach the sweet sixteen. Anything more is gravy. Xavier and FSU are both tough teams but I think we have the ability to beat either.

By the way 4 straight years the Zags have made the sweet sixteen. Thats really impressive. Not many teams can say that.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Seeding is all about resume, not about talent or what the team is capable of. I think you guys got seeded correctly, since you guys didn't do all that great in the non conference and there were very few quality wins in the WCC.

Here's my short rant on the Zags getting lucky. And there is nothing wrong with getting lucky. I'd rather be lucky than unlucky like USC who got left out.

Zags are the only 4 seed who got placed close to home. Auburn and Wichita have to travel across the country to play in San Diego. Arizona got shipped to Boise when the committee could have played them in San Diego.

Zags also were put in the bracket with the weakest #1 seed, and the only #1 seed that isn't playing close to home. Nova and Kansas will be playing their second weekend games within driving distance. Whereas Xavier will have to fly across country.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Thems the breaks. Should they put Villanova or Kansas in the west? It happens. We had some good out of conference wins and the thing that bothers me the most is that the committee has basically eliminated losses as factoring into seeding and inclusion at all.
They focus so much on who you beat and your big wins they completely discount 10, 12, 14, even 15 losses. This makes it extremely hard to get in (if your a mid major) and even harder to get a high seed.
When a team like UNC lost ten games but still gets a 2 seed I think thats ridiculous. We have become so used to it that we just accept it now. They make so many conflicting ways to gauge a teams worthiness they essentially obfuscate the whole thing and put in whomever they like and then use whatever reason fits to put that team in.

The worst total mockery of a seeding was when the Zags had 3 losses all year were ranked 6 and had some good wins as well. They seeded us 6 and put us against an 11 seed who was also vastly under seeded. Wyoming had won the MWC and had a good RPI. They then put us in a pod that was directly in Wyoming's back yard.

I also remember when we were the higher seed and played about as far away as you can get right in Davidsons back yard. Almost won that game but Steph Curry hit a few too many threes. They went on the elite eight that year I believe.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I agree. Committee just doesn't do a good job. I don't really care about the couple teams that get left out but each year they seem to mess up the seeds and locations. I don't like Arizona, but they should have put them in San Diego.I thought they did a poor job matching Zags and Ohio State for the second time in one season.

The new quadrant system is broken. It rewards the big conferences. All you have to do is go .500 in the Big12 and you are in, whereas St Marys can win most of their games and get left out. I just hate that you can hang your hat on a few great quad 1 wins but ignore the losses.

I don't know how to fix it, but it needs to be done. I would start by putting people who actually follow college basketball on the committee. Then find a competent person who can seed correctly and put teams in the right location.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Epic choke job by Xavier, Zags will play Florida State.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Maulbert":3ox4s4zh said:
Hawk-Lock":3ox4s4zh said:

Wow. Both 1 and 2 in their division knocked out today. Gonzaga has a real shot at the Final Four again.

Zags and Kentucky have to really like their chances right now. Zags still got some tough opponents in their region though.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1tkirpr3 said:
Was on the road and unable to listen what happened?

Crizilla

Reaction score
UNC got placed in CHARLOTTE, NC for their first 2 games (and still got knocked out). If you're whining that it's unfair the Zags (at a 4 seed) got placed in Boise, ID for their first 2 games, your bias is showing hard. I'm sure you think the refs weren't favoring UNC in the title game last year too. Also it's looking like Virginia was the weakest 1 seed this year. In case you didn't know they just lost to a 16 seed. The main screw ups this year by the committee was putting ASU and Oklahoma in.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Maulbert":2ab6ersz said:
Hawk-Lock":2ab6ersz said:

Wow. Both 1 and 2 in their division knocked out today. Gonzaga has a real shot at the Final Four again.

FSU is a tough team, they are battle tested coming out of the ACC. Michigan is on a roll. It's definitely a bit easier for the Zags now that UNC is out, though.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2oh5p9g1 said:
Hawk-Lock":2oh5p9g1 said:
Was on the road and unable to listen what happened?

Xavier blew an 8 point lead with about 5 minutes left. They were in control the entire second half, were up by as much as 11 or 12.

Zags should beat the Noles. They play great pressure defense and have premier athletes but I think the Zags can grind them out in the half court. Huge mismatch in the coaching, Leonard Hamilton isn't much better than Romar.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2d3we8qj said:
Seeding is all about resume, not about talent or what the team is capable of. I think you guys got seeded correctly, since you guys didn't do all that great in the non conference and there were very few quality wins in the WCC.

Here's my short rant on the Zags getting lucky. And there is nothing wrong with getting lucky. I'd rather be lucky than unlucky like USC who got left out.

Zags are the only 4 seed who got placed close to home. Auburn and Wichita have to travel across the country to play in San Diego. Arizona got shipped to Boise when the committee could have played them in San Diego.

Zags also were put in the bracket with the weakest #1 seed, and the only #1 seed that isn't playing close to home. Nova and Kansas will be playing their second weekend games within driving distance. Whereas Xavier will have to fly across country.

Bolded is not that big a deal. I have done the trip to Phoenix several times and one hour time difference and hour to 2 flight does not really mean a lot. They just got really outplayed.

On a side note about the tournament....I was talking to some that said that Boise State had a shot at playing in the tournament....probably should have got in at large. Nevada won the Mt West. Boise State was ranked this season.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":x2xg4rlm said:
Hawk-Lock":x2xg4rlm said:

Bolded is not that big a deal. I have done the trip to Phoenix several times and one hour time difference and hour to 2 flight does not really mean a lot. They just got really outplayed.

On a side note about the tournament....I was talking to some that said that Boise State had a shot at playing in the tournament....probably should have got in at large. Nevada won the Mt West. Boise State was ranked this season.

Boise State had a very outside shot, but basically lost any chance when they lost in the MWC to Utah State. They got left out, which they should have.

I used Arizona as an example. I honestly think the committee chose to punish a lot of the schools that came up in the FBI investigation. USC and Louisville got left out. Zona got under seeded as a 4 and got shipped to Boise.

The top 4 seeds are suppose to be protected and kept close to home. Last time I checked Wichita and Auburn are not close to San Diego and Arizona is not close to Boise. The committee placed the Zags correctly in Boise but kind of screwed up with the rest of the 4 seeds. Not saying those teams would have reached the sweet 16, but all three of them lost this weekend.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think the committe had issues with the west not being a real strong region hence some teams froma long ways away ended up in the west and in the San Diego pod.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I also just noticed MSU got put in Detroit (and now they're gone). Opening round placement games don't mean diddly poo.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":m88djkli said:
I also just noticed MSU got put in Detroit (and now they're gone). Opening round placement games don't mean diddly poo.

You make it sound like it doesn't matter where you get placed. Obviously anyone can lose at home in any sport. The committee has said top 4 seeds are protected. Do you don't think Zag fans would be upset if they got placed in Detroit? Of course it doesn't count towards everything but it matters.

It also matters because you should be rewarded for your seed. Same reason why if you win your division in any sport you host the postseason game.

FWIW, Sparty lost that game because Izzo got schooled. I know someone who is a big MSU fan and he told me a lot of people want Izzo gone. Reminds me a little of the people on here with PC.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
People are so unrealistic in their expectations. There were some calling for Few to be on the hot seat not that long ago. Crazy.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3jzq1ms5 said:
Seahawkfan80":3jzq1ms5 said:
Hawk-Lock":3jzq1ms5 said:

Boise State had a very outside shot, but basically lost any chance when they lost in the MWC to Utah State. They got left out, which they should have.

I used Arizona as an example. I honestly think the committee chose to punish a lot of the schools that came up in the FBI investigation. USC and Louisville got left out. Zona got under seeded as a 4 and got shipped to Boise.

The top 4 seeds are suppose to be protected and kept close to home. Last time I checked Wichita and Auburn are not close to San Diego and Arizona is not close to Boise. The committee placed the Zags correctly in Boise but kind of screwed up with the rest of the 4 seeds. Not saying those teams would have reached the sweet 16, but all three of them lost this weekend.

Very well said. Gonzo is about hour by flight or 6 by driving taking the freeway. Fan base would have ease getting here. Zona fan base would be a lot easier getting there to San Diego. Fans make the team work harder. After all, it is all about the fans that can make it to the games that make the tournament worth watching. Good thoughts and great comments here. Thanks.