M's Off season, 2017-2018

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AKidFromKent/status/974101151338586112[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/974106433514950656[/tweet]

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
lol here’s to another year of empty seats. Looks like it’s Dave Simms, Mike Blowers, and the couch for me this year. Cheaper anyways :34853_doh:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I've paid so little attention to the M's this offseason. I have absolutely no expectations. They just seem so old, they remind me of our Seahawk teams at the end of the Hasselback era.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2j5e4vct said:
I'll be honest, I've paid so little attention to the M's this offseason. I have absolutely no expectations. They just seem so old, they remind me of our Seahawk teams at the end of the Hasselback era.
I have zero hope..It is better this way so they can suprise me if they do well..

Ruminator

Reaction score
Wonder if we can by curse removal powder on Amazon. If so, someone order a truckload and deliver it to Surprise or wherever the Ms hold their spring training these days.

Crizilla

Reaction score
If I'm Servais I don't start Haniger. Man, that guy is struggling. I also start Vogelbach over Healy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":18yssbu2 said:
If I'm Servais I don't start Haniger. Man, that guy is struggling. I also start Vogelbach over Healy.
So is Cruz, do you bench him?

Before he got hurt last year I don’t think I saw Haniger not “give away” one at bat. The kid had great knowledge of the strikezone and rarely chased pitches outside of it WHEN he was healthy. The guy is a star in this league in that lineup if he stays healthy. He started out hurt again in ST this year, hence the bad numbers.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I wouldn't bench Cruz because he's our best home run threat and he's not an every day, every at-bat guy anyway. He will get PH for, regardless. Plus, he's a DH.

RF and LF are wide open. If Motter, Heredia, and Gamel battle it out for LF, that leaves Haniger, Ichiro, and Amaral battling for RF. Haniger is putting up atrocious numbers this spring training. .244 OBP is pathetic and not even worth it. I see no reason to start him. Put in Ichiro or Amaral instead. Based on what I've seen from spring training so far I would go with:

1. Gordon
2. Segura
3. Cano
4. Cruz
5. Seager
6. Vogelbach
7. Ichiro/Amaral
8. Zunino
9. Motter

Then when Gamel is healthy, work him into either LF or RF over somebody else. Whoever is doing worst at the time. I think Haniger needs a whole new approach. Send him down. Give him the Zunino treatment. I'm not knocking the guy, I like him. But he never got out of that slump and then the injury happened. I feel for the guy.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Looks like Vogel will be on the bench and Healy is starting.
I don't know, the way Zunino has improved, wouldn't bother me to see him hit after Seager.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I would guess that's because Healy is probably better at playing first base? Offensively speaking it makes no sense though. Vogelbach is out of his mind right now. Not a small sample size, either. He's got 50 at bats and his numbers are insane. A good way for Servais to get me angry early this season is if he starts Healy and Haniger and they both bat like crap.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":32gdmb06 said:
I wouldn't bench Cruz because he's our best home run threat and he's not an every day, every at-bat guy anyway. He will get PH for, regardless. Plus, he's a DH.

RF and LF are wide open. If Motter, Heredia, and Gamel battle it out for LF, that leaves Haniger, Ichiro, and Amaral battling for RF. Haniger is putting up atrocious numbers this spring training. .244 OBP is pathetic and not even worth it. I see no reason to start him. Put in Ichiro or Amaral instead. Based on what I've seen from spring training so far I would go with:

1. Gordon
2. Segura
3. Cano
4. Cruz
5. Seager
6. Vogelbach
7. Ichiro/Amaral
8. Zunino
9. Motter

Then when Gamel is healthy, work him into either LF or RF over somebody else. Whoever is doing worst at the time. I think Haniger needs a whole new approach. Send him down. Give him the Zunino treatment. I'm not knocking the guy, I like him. But he never got out of that slump and then the injury happened. I feel for the guy.
You are putting way too much stock in spring training numbers IMHO.

.282, 16hr, 47 rbi and 5 SB in only 369 AB’s that projects out nicely over a 162 game season. ...and thats a rookie season battling thru injuries.

His September/October numbers were .352, 7HR, 14 RBI.

Like I said the kid can rake when healthy. Like any young hitter he will struggle when his swing gets too long, but the potential he has is very good. He can be a major cog in the offense.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":20inm5yx said:
Crizilla":20inm5yx said:

1. Gordon
2. Segura
3. Cano
4. Cruz
5. Seager
6. Vogelbach
7. Ichiro/Amaral
8. Zunino
9. Motter

:2thumbs: You are putting way too much stock in spring training numbers IMHO.
.282, 16hr, 47 rbi and 5 SB in only 369 AB’s that projects out nicely over a 162 game season. ...and thats a rookie season battling thru injuries.

His September/October numbers were .352, 7HR, 14 RBI.

Like I said the kid can rake when healthy. Like any young hitter he will struggle when his swing gets too long, but the potential he has is very good. He can be a major cog in the offense.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
As I've learned over the years, spring training stats are what they are. Meaningless.

Go M's

sutz

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1xp101am said:
As I've learned over the years, spring training stats are what they are. Meaningless.

Go M's
Pre-season in any sport is always more about the players working on their game. In baseball you have guys tinkering with their swings at the same time they're trying to get the timing down against top level (well, mostly) pitching. New players are getting used to how their new teammates move around the field and how to sync in with them.

On top of that, coaches and managers are trying to get their guys playing time to get up to speed while trying to not overwork them and avoid injury as much as possible.

Dee Gordon stole what, about 3 bases all spring? We're hoping for more during the season given his history.

Obviously there are still some questions regarding the pitching staff, but it's kind of pointless to single out spring stats and predict what's gonna happen after the 29th.