Tiger Tiger Woods y’all

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":29lqxtji said:
Jesus... i swear you and i are married some times

My point is that the draw of Tiger is the idea of his return too dominance. Maybe not for you.. but in general.

Right now he is 6-1 to win (WIN!) the Masters. Best odds in the field. That says how desperate people are to see him get back to Tiger of old. That's the "interest." Vegas knows it and is taking advantage. Thats my point. He's not played well at all. Yet, he hasn't sucked and the idea he might be the Tiger of old is drawing a bunch of attention.

You can take the high road on it. Thats fine. Crowds will be larger and more people will turn in. I'll watch the Masters this year regardless. I'll be more entertained if he's in contention. I just dont think its all that "interesting" until he starts winning tournamentS (as in plural).

Until then, he's just an (above?) average golfer in the field.

He's got like 3-4 top 10 finishes in a row, why wouldn't he have those kind of odds.

Tiger looks good, his back isn't giving out, looks healthy, hitting it solid...........and remember odds are about betting, so all Vegas cares about is raking in as much cash as possible, and what better way than Tiger playing well and degenerate gamblers wanting 6-1 odds?

btw, I'm not taking any road, I'm explaining why everyone's excited about him playing well again. I don't feel the need to harbor resentment towards him, or at fans for enjoying seeing him play well again.

He's good for the sport, he always has been. Whether he's the hero, or the villain.............or somewhere in between.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
To be clear... i don't harbor any resentment towards (anymore... he's long paid his due)

And I get he's good for the sport. My contention is that the excitement is less about 2018 Tiger Woods and more about the hope he's 1997 Tiger Woods.

That's the Tiger people love..

Either way, I'll watch, and yes, he is good for golf.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hooje16 said:
Uncle Si":1hooje16 said:
Sgt. Largent":1hooje16 said:
Uncle Si":1hooje16 said:
Golf is golf regardless.

Tiger may be competitive, but will never be dominant again. which begs the question "why is a competitive but relatively average Tiger Woods interesting at all?"

Wasn't Nicklaus interesting in 1986 when he won his last Major at age 46?

Golf's always more interesting when the big names are in contention.............and even though Tiger hasn't be great in a long time, or even good, it always makes a tournament more exciting to watch when he's on the leaderboard.

I'm not a fan of him personally, but I love golf, and like it or not, Tiger's good for golf.

Interesting?

Not really. I mean it was exciting. A one off walk into the sunset.

That’s not what people are hoping for. Tigers allure is the sense of drama his potential dominance brings. But those days are gone.

He will just be an average golfer who might surprise. I’d rather see Spieth become dominant.. or a handful of guys develop a rivalry.

And that's OK, like I said Tiger in contention is still fun to watch.

Just like when Tom Watson was in contention at the British, or Fred Couples when he jumped up into contention a couple times at the Masters a couple years ago.

There isn't some golf spectating law Si that says we can only be interested in the top 10 golfers. Tiger Woods next to Nicklaus is the best golfer in the history of the sport...........of course golf fans are going to be excited and interested if he's playing well and on the leaderboard.
I love watching the best in any sport but I mean the elite..
A Jack,Joe M,Jordan.Griffey,Wayne and Tiger..
All dominated and people try to replace them but never get to that level which defined those guys.
Yes even when they aren't what they was you remember and watch(I do and did)
Tiger is not playing like he is done however ..(when he was hurt)
I see a 2008 version that when he plays more those 2-3 bogeys every round are pars.
For someone that has been gone for pretty much 5 years it amazes me but really it should
not because he is not normal..A club in his hand transforms him to do things that you will
never see again.He certainly has plenty of motivation to prove people wrong..

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Tiger is making a respectable run at the Players Championship today. Presently sitting in a tie for second in the final round.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
There is way too much hype on this guy IMO. Every ESPN story is about him. Then they tell you he came in 35th place. Well guess what the headline story is not supposed to be about who came in 35th or missed the cut or came in 50th or whatever. At best the top 3 - 4 guys should get the attention and story. He had a great run. He is older and more injured now. I doubt he will ever be dominant again. He certainly has not been recently.

They just show you the 1 day he did good out of 4. Or the 1 hole he drained a long put. But it's not the whole sample size. On the whole he is not the same player and I don't ever expect him to be again.

I'm not sure why they hype and fuss about this guy so much anymore. Win some tournaments. Lots of them. Plus some majors in the modern times. Then hype him. Otherwise people are living 15 - 20 years in the past. He is above 40 with injuries and a lot of head problems from that divorce. He will never be the same. It's absurd how much coverage they give to him for finishing 50th in these tournaments.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3abz2i19 said:
Sgt. Largent":3abz2i19 said:
SanDiego49er":3abz2i19 said:
I'm not sure why they hype and fuss about this guy so much anymore.

Because he's Tiger Woods.

Because he "was" Tiger Woods.

Same thing. Was, Is.........he still generates clicks and interest, and he's played relatively well for most of the tournaments he's been in.

Not sure if you guys are aware of how TV works, but networks sell ad spots to companies trying to sell their products. Even an aging Tiger Woods pulls more viewers than most of the top 10 golfers in the world right now. "HOLD ON HONEY, DON'T CHANGE THE CHANNEL, THEY'RE ABOUT TO SHOW JON RAHM HIGHLIGHTS!!"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not really...It's purposeful indifference to offer up Jon Rahm instead of the dozen tip of the tongue golfers that are out there right now. But knock yourself out.

Tiger brought in a huge number of new golf fans, who have thus changed the way people want to follow golf. They want it to be a football game, a frat party and their local 18 all at the same time. They fist pump, scream catch phrases, try and be raucous.

There is this fear that the ghost of Tiger Woods is still needed for that.

He generates clicks and interest from people who are only fans of Tiger. They weren't golf fans before and wont be after. People are hanging on to this need for Tiger to be Tiger. The game was just fine before and gets along fine without him.

It's a shame and rather endemic of the ESPN culture.

Tiger is only interesting for what he was. People desperately hoping for him to be that again are setting themselves, and him, up for sadness.

There are a dozens of better golfers, and a number of great golf personalities in the game right now. Most Tiger enthusiasts will tell you they are nothing like Tiger was. Of course not, noone is, and it will be some time before anyone is again. but using that as a stick to beat them with just reflects the degree to which Tiger fans need and will go for Tiger.

It's on odd thing watching folks desperate for the past to validate the present. Even if/when Tiger wins again, it won't be anything like it was. Wanting it to be just makes it worse, in my best Apocalypse Now voice

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":berdhfvn said:
He generates clicks and interest from people who are only fans of Tiger. They weren't golf fans before and wont be after. People are hanging on to this need for Tiger to be Tiger. The game was just fine before and gets along fine without him.

It's a shame and rather endemic of the ESPN culture.

Psst, advertisers and TV networks don't care why people are fans.

I don't care either way, but I understand why Tiger gets coverage............and as someone who watches a lot of golf it's not as bad as you guys are making it out to be. There's still plenty of "normal" golf coverage on the sports channels and The Golf Channel ad about the other golfers in contention each week.

Yes, if Tiger's in the mix they show highlights, and rightfully so, it's who golf fans and casual sports fans want to see.........and it's who the networks want to see because it helps them sell more advertising.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tiger is like Jordan ..Nobody has been able to replace him.
If you actually watch him play he has been doing pretty damn good for someone
who hasn't played much in the last five years.I think he will win a couple this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":p7y72kix said:
who hasn't played much in the last five years.I think he will win a couple this year.

I think some people are a little salty and judgmental with Tiger because of his personal life. Which I get, but I just like to watch exciting golf, so I don't care what your personal opinion of Tiger is, he just flat out makes the game more exciting when he's even playing halfway decent.

Golf's in a great place right now with a bunch of really good young golfers, but make no mistake we probably won't see Tiger's level of dominance for a long time, if ever.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":15twpmyl said:
IndyHawk":15twpmyl said:

I think some people are a little salty and judgmental with Tiger because of his personal life. Which I get, but I just like to watch exciting golf, so I don't care what your personal opinion of Tiger is, he just flat out makes the game more exciting when he's even playing halfway decent.

Golf's in a great place right now with a bunch of really good young golfers, but make no mistake we probably won't see Tiger's level of dominance for a long time, if ever.

The reason Tiger Woods, he changed the game, he built his body to play where others were much more casual, forced the field to step up and become a different kind of Golfer.

If not for his social life the news of his Marriage and back issues he would have obliterated Nicholas's records.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":19p2d0hv said:
If not for his social life the news of his Marriage and back issues he would have obliterated Nicholas's records.

I tend to agree, it's been a decade since Tiger's last major now. You'd think if he stayed healthy and mentally strong he would have at least tied Nicklaus...............and the decade was still in his prime.

I don't root for him, but it sure is fun when he's in the mix.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":12qu7oli said:
There is way too much hype on this guy IMO. Every ESPN story is about him. Then they tell you he came in 35th place. Well guess what the headline story is not supposed to be about who came in 35th or missed the cut or came in 50th or whatever. At best the top 3 - 4 guys should get the attention and story. He had a great run. He is older and more injured now. I doubt he will ever be dominant again. He certainly has not been recently.

They just show you the 1 day he did good out of 4. Or the 1 hole he drained a long put. But it's not the whole sample size. On the whole he is not the same player and I don't ever expect him to be again.

I'm not sure why they hype and fuss about this guy so much anymore. Win some tournaments. Lots of them. Plus some majors in the modern times. Then hype him. Otherwise people are living 15 - 20 years in the past. He is above 40 with injuries and a lot of head problems from that divorce. He will never be the same. It's absurd how much coverage they give to him for finishing 50th in these tournaments.

I disagree with this point underlined and bolded. I feel that the people in the hunt deserve a lot of attention too. Remember that Phil has made come backs. Tiger has made comebacks. Heck even the brit has made comebacks. If the pressure is on and the game overtakes the leader core, anyone has a chance. The top players in the world need time on tv to prance their stuff for their sponsors. The leaders need their due time until they fall off like a wet rag, but they are usually given their due.

Whatever tho...it is still a fan driven sport.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He's legitimately in contention and off to a good 4th round start.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Tiger is in the mix again at the halfway point of the final round of the PGA Championship major.

It's fun to watch on a Sunday afternoon...

getnasty

Reaction score
Good for the game of golf but there's something about Tiger that makes me want to punch him in the face.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":aofnaskx said:
Good for the game of golf but there's something about Tiger that makes me want to punch him in the face.
I could understand if you said was at one time.
By all accounts he isn't same guy off tour anymore but whatever.
Anyway great play by Tiger today,two balls that lipped out and another
that was half in cup that didn't fall in pretty much was the difference.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":36yyi9zp said:
getnasty":36yyi9zp said:
I could understand if you said was at one time.
By all accounts he isn't same guy off tour anymore but whatever.
Anyway great play by Tiger today,two balls that lipped out and another
that was half in cup that didn't fall in pretty much was the difference.

I tuned in when he was at 9 under. was fun to have him in contention.

Makes the attention he gets more warranted and palatable.

but also, shades of the days when golf had some true rivalries. Certainly brought out the better in the golfers around him as well.