2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":sj3rmk75 said:
Not a fan of Vincent pitching in close games, and he showed why.
SS not managing a bullpen well overall is rearing it’s ugly head.
He excelled in that role last year. He was by far the best reliever in the M's pen last year. He's struggling so far. The whole pen is, really. It's a shame because Nicasio was given a fat contract to be that bridge to Diaz, but he's been awful. Like Crizilla said, the starters aren't necessarily going deep into games lately, so the pen is probably taxed right now. No excuses though. This pitching staff has to be better.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I dont want to play GM since I whiffed on Haniger already before the season, but some of Servais' line up decisions make me scratch my head. Why did he sit Gordon today? But then he brings him in to PH? Just start the friggin' guy. He's one of our best hitters. This isn't mid season where guys are banged up and tired and need a rest day. Servais starts Zunino the first 2 games of the series then starts Freitas today, but brings Zunino in to PH. He doesn't know what he wants to do. Make a decision and stick with it for awhile so we can get a decent sample size to see where guys are at. Seager's .262 OBP is one of the worst in the league among 3rd basemen. Servais wants him to be a power hitter. Why? He should be a contact hitter who works the count and can get walks. They're misusing Seager, IMO. Guy swings at everything. The top half of the line up are getting on base but the bottom half isnt bringing them in. And now that Heredia just got sent down, they better hope Gamel gets hot. M's are lucky to be 11-9 with a -12 run differential. All stats (even offensive stats) point to the M's being an average team AT BEST so far.

getnasty

Reaction score
Crizilla":hifaoo91 said:
I dont want to play GM since I whiffed on Haniger already before the season, but some of Servais' line up decisions make me scratch my head. Why did he sit Gordon today? But then he brings him in to PH? Just start the friggin' guy. He's one of our best hitters. This isn't mid season where guys are banged up and tired and need a rest day. Servais starts Zunino the first 2 games of the series then starts Freitas today, but brings Zunino in to PH. He doesn't know what he wants to do. Make a decision and stick with it for awhile so we can get a decent sample size to see where guys are at. Seager's .262 OBP is one of the worst in the league among 3rd basemen. Servais wants him to be a power hitter. Why? He should be a contact hitter who works the count and can get walks. They're misusing Seager, IMO. Guy swings at everything. The top half of the line up are getting on base but the bottom half isnt bringing them in. And now that Heredia just got sent down, they better hope Gamel gets hot. M's are lucky to be 11-9 with a -12 run differential. All stats (even offensive stats) point to the M's being an average team AT BEST so far.

It's quite common to give guys a rest in the field every now then, escpically when there in the middle of a long stretch without a day off.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Crizilla":1a8yjf8h said:
M's starters are not going deep into games. M's were lucky to take 2/3. No reason they can't take 2/3 from the White Sox next. Gotta win series against bad teams.

I don't think it's in the plans this year for the M's starters to go deep.. twice around and then bull pen. I think it's becoming a trend in baseball since, the average pitcher apparently gets clobbered the 3rd time around. I believe it's why the M's invested a lot in the bull pen this year... well I think they did.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":3mwdys12 said:
Guys do need Days off, especially when there is a long stretch of games coming up or you played a ton of games in a row.
As for Seager, he is a frustrating player to watch as he is “SO pull happy”.
Dead pull hitters are so easy to defense, and the league has caught up to him.

Needs to learn how to hit up the middle and the other way. Some guys just never can or never want to.

Your best hitters can hit to all fields, Seager is not one of those.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1m3inoab said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/988469117236797446[/tweet]
Wow//I kind of like this deal..
Hope the kid is healthy,we know he has some ability and Kuma will be back in near future also..

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Should I even be mad right now? This is what Mariners baseball is these days, I shouldn't be surprised they're getting demolished early by a bottom feeder team. The Sox leadoff hitter came into the game hitting a paltry sub. 230. He's a single away from the cycle, all against Dipoto's boy, Leake. Their starter, Carson Fulmer, came into the game with a 6+ ERA, and this is his third start in 6 days, and he's dousing them.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3p11ehoj said:
Should I even be mad right now? This is what Mariners baseball is these days, I shouldn't be surprised they're getting demolished early by a bottom feeder team. The Sox leadoff hitter came into the game hitting a paltry sub. 230. He's a single away from the cycle, all against Dipoto's boy, Leake. Their starter, Carson Fulmer, came into the game with a 6+ ERA, and this is his third start in 6 days, and he's dousing them.
Agreed with everything you said. It’s pathetic

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Haniger with another bomb today! Only positive I can come up with from this game.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2c8146a9 said:
Haniger with another bomb today! Only positive I can come up with from this game.
Yep, Haniger is killing it right now. Also, Zunino's bomb was good to see. He really seemed to settle in after that swing.

sutz

Reaction score
Haniger with the only RBI in the game so far. :mrgreen:

Gonzalez off to a good start. A shutout into the 6th. :2thumbs:

End of the 6th. There are two people the pitcher wants to fool, the batter and the ump. :laugh:

sutz

Reaction score
sutz":2khym9vn said:

End of the 6th. There are two people the pitcher wants to fool, the batter and the ump. :laugh:

Good tight 1-0 game. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1xru355v said:
sutz":1xru355v said:

Good tight 1-0 game. :2thumbs:
Sometimes you have to win 1-0 games, whether it’s highschool or the big leagues. :2thumbs:

Chapow

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":5hd9l8u1 said:
We are winning series. Can win another tomorrow.

Yep.

Sometimes I think people forget when getting upset over a loss to "a garbage team" that even the very worst teams in baseball are going to win at least 50 games, and even the very best teams in baseball are going to lose at least 50 games, with rare exceptions.

The Red Sox are probably one of the best teams in baseball this year. They just got no hit by the A's. And while no hitters are relatively rare, good teams losing to bad teams is not. In fact, there are so many games in a season that it happens all the time.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Wish we didnt leave the bases loaded so often.

Also Andrew Romine....14 plate appearances, hasnt got on base yet.

But nice to see Zunino with his 2nd HR and a double after a slow start coming back.