2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Great comeback in. The mariners with all the bs lately are in the 2nd WC spot.

We need to make moves tho.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bobblehead":ofo9n4gh said:
Give it up on Felix.. the guy is pitching till he says he's done..besides, it really shows you the lack of depth in out starting rotation.,

hes fine for a backend rotation spot

6 innings, 3ERs is 3 outs from a QS and leaves the bullpen needing 9 outs. jarring giving them up all at once, but Felix as always been prone to a bad inning, especially early.

team needs to make a move, probably two. But Felix should be part of the rotation come september

sutz

Reaction score
Nice win last night. Looked bad for a while, but after the first, they held them to 1 unearned run the rest of the way.

Felix? Hmmm, I'm not totally sold that he's done. He does need to adapt to the new Felix, throwing more junk because yeah, his heater is gone.

As for the bullpen? It's been overused in the past week. Double-header Saturday, day game Sunday adds up to 3 games in about 36 hours. Then travel to Minnie for a makeup game that was delayed for an hour and a half by more rain. Fly back to Seattle in the wee hours of the morning and play an 11 inning game Tuesday night, followed by a day game Wednesday. That's why they were tired.

Nicasio and Electric Eddy did fine last night. Felix stretched it to 6 innings, letting the bullpen get a night off, mostly. That's a good thing.

I still worry about the bats going cold, seems to happen all too often. Dee Gordon does us no good if he keeps flailing at bad pitches. At least he got the sac fly late in the game last night. He needs to learn how to take bad pitches and walk once in a while. His job is to get on base. Even Ichiro learned to do that. Z has been reaching for those pitches off the plate again. At least Segura is still going strong, especially with his RISP numbers.

It's Mid-May and we're still in the hunt. Most years lately we'd be fighting the Texans for the cellar this late in the season. I'll take it. ;)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah I have to give props to Felix for settling down. It seems like Felix has really struggled in the first couple innings.

Nice to see Nicasio hold down the eighth inning.

And I agree that the fact Felix still has a spot in the rotation is more of a reflection of how weak our pitching staff is.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Felix needs to be moved to the back of the rotation. If that pisses him off, good!
He’s still trying to pitch like he throws 98mph. His fastball was topping out at 89-90mph last night.

He needs to pitch “backwards” which he has only done once or twice this season and has success then he reverts back to his old ways and gets lit up. He needs to go to the Jamie Moyer school of pitching, slow, slower, slowest.

His fastball is below average and extremely hitable. A lot of his offspeed stuff are still plus pitches, but hitters are waiting on that batting practice fastball. The book is out on how to beat the old Felix, he needs to create the “New Felix”.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2oxnb9mx said:
Felix needs to be moved to the back of the rotation. If that pisses him off, good!
He’s still trying to pitch like he throws 98mph. His fastball was topping out at 89-90mph last night.

He needs to pitch “backwards” which he has only done once or twice this season and has success then he reverts back to his old ways and gets lit up. He needs to go to the Jamie Moyer school of pitching, slow, slower, slowest.

His fastball is below average and extremely hitable. A lot of his offspeed stuff are still plus pitches, but hitters are waiting on that batting practice fastball. The book is out on how to beat the old Felix, he needs to create the “New Felix”.

I agree with you but it won’t happen with Felix. He just doesn’t have the mental makeup and savvy that Moyer had. Moyer outsmarted his opponents, Felix doesn’t do that. Felix is more Randy Johnson like in that sense.

sutz

Reaction score
Another great outing by Pax. CG/117 chucks, 3 runs 8 or 9 K's. A night off for the pen.

Offense was right on, scoring early then padding the lead with 4 in the 6th.

I think this is what DiPoto was aiming for when he put this team together.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":1h1qoyr4 said:
And punch hit with Zunino batting .200..... great logic.

HANIGER YOU WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING!!!!!! That a kid!
I see the M's found a way and that is what it takes sometimes.
As ugly the wins may be.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Another nice come from behind win. LeBlanc is just what this rotation needed.

The schedule is extremely favorable up until our series at Houston in the beginning of June. We need to beat the bad teams now because the schedule looks really tough in June.

I think we will find out just how good this team is by the end of June. We got two series with Boston and then series with the Astros, Angels and Yankees.

I still don't think we can make the playoffs with our current rotation, but still plenty of time for us to make a move. There will be plenty of weak teams looking to trade a starting pitcher at the deadline. Could you imagine if we traded for Verlander last season? I don't think anyone thought he would turn his career around this much, he is basically the best pitcher in baseball once again.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":8xcderso said:
Hanny and Segura bailing out a bad line up. Dipoto > Servais.
Those 2 came in the trade for T. Walker. I think Dipoto won that trade biggly. :)

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Crizilla":3jjgzj4m said:

That shitty manager has the Mariners 1.5 games out of first in the West and 1.5 games clear in the wildcard.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well, we've had a pretty mild stretch of opponents and will continue for the next 13 games, Min, Tex, Oak and Tampa, before the biggies show up. Be good to go at least 9 and 4, which would put us at about 36 - 23. Be sweet if we could.

Crizilla

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":rl9k3b4n said:
Crizilla":rl9k3b4n said:

That shitty manager has the Mariners 1.5 games out of first in the West and 1.5 games clear in the wildcard.

I never said he was "shitty". At times I criticize his decisions. Big whoop. Every day people get judged on their job. Guess we just have to wait and see what happens at the end. But from what I've seen so far I'd say Servais is on par with McLendon.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
He's a young skipper, I remember we had one before, canned his ass and he ultimately became a pretty decent skipper, Bob Melvin.