US Mens Soccer

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Interesting and funny piece Deadspin did on Pulisic now being courted by EPL clubs.

https://deadspin.com/manchester-united- ... 1821995062

Haisley has a point don't you think?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cw7reijn said:
Interesting and funny piece Deadspin did on Pulisic now being courted by EPL clubs.

https://deadspin.com/manchester-united- ... 1821995062

Haisley has a point don't you think?

He would be an awful fit at Manchester United. He would be a great fit at Arsenal, Chelsea, City. He'd be a fantastic fit at Liverpool or Spurs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1m743pjd said:
Spounge84":1m743pjd said:
Carlos Cordeiro was elected as the next President of the USSF.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/10/spor ... ction.html
I'm withholding judgment until I see who he hires to be the GMs of the men's and women's programs.

Me too, but Cordeiro was the right hand man for Gulati, so I'm not overly confident that this is the monumental philosophical shift that a lot of people were looking for.

But yes, we'll see.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This is no shift at all.

The next coach will tell everything about the near future of the men’s program. However, the future will be left to the DAs a d affiliations.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Here's the squad that's been named for the friendly against Paraguay on the 27th. Lots of youth here, but no Pulisic.

U.S. squad by position (club; caps/goals)
Goalkeepers: Alex Bono (Toronto FC; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland; 5/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 1/0)
Defenders: Cameron Carter-Vickers (Ipswich Town; 1/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Vitesse; 4/1), Shaq Moore (Levante; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Kortrijk; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Bolton Wanderers; 0/0), Jorge Villafana (Santos Laguna; 15/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle; 49/0)
Midfielders: Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke; 1/1), Darlington Nagbe (Atlanta United; 24/1), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 2/0), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht; 1/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 3/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain; 0/0)
Forwards: Andrija Novakovich (Telstar; 0/0), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana; 4/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg; 36/10)

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1iggfarr said:
There is a report that the USMNT has been invited to play in the 2019 Copa America.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/copa- ... 019-brazil
Turns out that both Mexico and the US were invited to the 2019 Copa America and both squads turned it down to concentrate on the 2019 Gold Cup. Apparently both tournaments are scheduled at the same time and neither Mexico or the US felt comfortable sending a B team to Brazil.

"We are obliged to send our A team to the Gold Cup because we belong to CONCACAF. They did not agree with the dates so with both tournaments to be played at the same time, our only option will be to send a B team without our main coaching staff to play Copa America," said a source from the Mexican Federation to ESPN.

"You can imagine, if with our best players it's difficult to face Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, etc., with a B team without even being able to take the coach, that will be much more difficult. Also neither Liga MX, MLS nor the European leagues will lend us their players for two international tournaments in the summer. And I said it again, we are obliged to participate in the tournaments organised by our confederation with our best team".

http://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-america ... can-squads

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
USMNT has announced the roster for next week's friendly against Bolivia.

Detailed Roster by Position (Club; Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 2/0)
DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG; 2/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 5/1), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United/ENG; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Manchester City/ENG; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Everton/ENG; 0/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 16/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 2/0)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/MEX; 20/3), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland/ENG; 3/0), Julian Green (Stuttgart/GER; 8/3), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana/MEX; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 1/1), Keaton Parks (Benfica/POR; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 20/9), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 5/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 1/0)
FORWARDS (2): Andrija Novakovich (Reading/ENG; 1/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 0/0)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3bobv3ut said:
USMNT has announced the roster for next week's friendly against Bolivia.

Detailed Roster by Position (Club; Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 2/0)
DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG; 2/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 5/1), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United/ENG; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Manchester City/ENG; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Everton/ENG; 0/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 16/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 2/0)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/MEX; 20/3), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland/ENG; 3/0), Julian Green (Stuttgart/GER; 8/3), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana/MEX; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 1/1), Keaton Parks (Benfica/POR; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 20/9), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 5/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 1/0)
FORWARDS (2): Andrija Novakovich (Reading/ENG; 1/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 0/0)

Gotta be the youngest roster we've ever run out right?

I like it, out with the old and let's start the next chapter of USMNT.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The old is done. This group has 2 years to gel before they start playing meaningful games.

also good to see all the players who are with, well, non-MLS teams. Understandably the MLS players are not available. But that's still a strong list of players contracted with some very good clubs

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":zvvhb1kd said:
Uncle Si":zvvhb1kd said:
The old is done. This group has 2 years to gel before they start playing meaningful games.
You don't think next Summer's Gold Cup is meaningful?

I think Workd Cup qualifying is the only thing that matters now. Anything is only prep and only interesting to see the new faces together.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":24dnsmoy said:
SeatownJay":24dnsmoy said:
Uncle Si":24dnsmoy said:

I think Workd Cup qualifying is the only thing that matters now. Anything is only prep and only interesting to see the new faces together.
I look at it a little differently. Winning the 2019 Gold Cup guarantees the US a spot in the 2021 Confederations Cup, which means more meaningful games against quality international sides before the 2022 World Cup.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":x9fmddan said:
SeatownJay":x9fmddan said:
Uncle Si":x9fmddan said:

Mostly agree. But when you're in the middle of a total rebuilt for a national program...........every tournament matters. For talent evaluation, high pressure situations to see how players respond together, and most importantly momentum.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1eb6h9q3 said:
Uncle Si":1eb6h9q3 said:
SeatownJay":1eb6h9q3 said:
Uncle Si":1eb6h9q3 said:

I think World Cup qualifying is the only thing that matters now. Anything is only prep and only interesting to see the new faces together.

Mostly agree. But when you're in the middle of a total rebuilt for a national program...........every tournament matters. For talent evaluation, high pressure situations to see how players respond together, and most importantly momentum.

yeah.. like i said... it's prep. i mean it matters as much as every training session they do does as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Other than Pulisic looking like he couldn't wait for his off season to start, first match couldn't have gone any better.

Some great young players to get excited about. Loved the energy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w6lzwiw said:
Other than Pulisic looking like he couldn't wait for his off season to start, first match couldn't have gone any better.

Some great young players to get excited about. Loved the energy.

Wasnt bad...

now get all those kids back to their host clubs so they can keep getting better.