2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I wish we would have put a pinch runner in for Cruz in the 8th. He didn't score from first on a two out double which would have tied the game. What a shame.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Manager should know the situation, and have a feel for what's going on. Often it seems like Servais is clueless. Speed on the base path in the late innings is Managing 101.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah he should have pinch ran for Cruz. No doubt anyone with average speed would have scored.

Should the M's pull a Tampa Bay and start a reliever on Felix's next start and then bring in Felix in the second inning. After the first inning, his ERA this season probably looks a lot better than what it is now.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3ipb11v3 said:
Yeah he should have pinch ran for Cruz. No doubt anyone with average speed would have scored.

Should the M's pull a Tampa Bay and start a reliever on Felix's next start and then bring in Felix in the second inning. After the first inning, his ERA this season probably looks a lot better than what it is now.
His/their game’s planning sucks. Most of the RBI’s came on 90mph 4 seam fastballs,’and the other came on an 89mph sinker.
Not enough separation in speed between those 2 pitches IMHO.
I think less fastballs early on would help. His fastball is BY FAR his worst pitch.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vr9tewc said:
Hawk-Lock":2vr9tewc said:

His/their game’s planning sucks. Most of the RBI’s came on 90mph 4 seam fastballs,’and the other came on an 89mph sinker.
I think less fastballs early on would help. His fastball is BY FAR his worst pitch.

Biggest issue is all of those pitches are flat. You can get away with slight speed variation if you have movement and location. He has neither at the moment, and definitely void of it in the first inning.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":2ancu2uy said:
Sports Hernia":2ancu2uy said:
Hawk-Lock":2ancu2uy said:

Biggest issue is all of those pitches are flat. You can get away with slight speed variation if you have movement and location. He has neither at the moment, and definitely void of it in the first inning.
He needs a new pitch..I keep seeing two..What else can he throw?A curve?Split finger?
Slider?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
On another note, heard this morning that Felix has an ERA of 12.27 in the 1st inning, ouch.
Pretty good after the 1st, but wow that is brutal :(

DJrmb

Reaction score
IndyHawk":k99krnhb said:
TransGenderHawkFan":k99krnhb said:
Sports Hernia":k99krnhb said:
Hawk-Lock":k99krnhb said:

He needs a new pitch..I keep seeing two..What else can he throw?A curve?Split finger?
Slider?
GngocTA
https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=4772&position=P

He's actually thrown his other pitches a ton this year. The problem to me is that he's yet again lost even more speed off his fastball. Felix isn't the pinpoint type of pitcher, and may never be. Half the time he throws a pitch I don't think he has any idea on where it will end up. Someone needs to work with him and add 2-3 mph back to his FB and I bet he'd be a TOR guy again. Question is why hasn't that happened already? Is it Felix being stubborn or the organization being scared of pissing him off?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
DJrmb":34j0rnrm said:
IndyHawk":34j0rnrm said:
TransGenderHawkFan":34j0rnrm said:
Sports Hernia":34j0rnrm said:

Slider?
GngocTA

He's actually thrown his other pitches a ton this year. The problem to me is that he's yet again lost even more speed off his fastball. Felix isn't the pinpoint type of pitcher, and may never be. Half the time he throws a pitch I don't think he has any idea on where it will end up. Someone needs to work with him and add 2-3 mph back to his FB and I bet he'd be a TOR guy again. Question is why hasn't that happened already? Is it Felix being stubborn or the organization being scared of pissing him off?

I think he is shot. I know after first inning, he has a era of 3.88 but you cant exclude that. You can look at any other starter and decide what inning hurts them as well. Felix doesnt have the stuff to load the bases and escape with 0-1 runs limited anymore.

From 2015 on his era has ballooned each year. From 3.53 to 3.82 to 4.36 to now 5.58.

Could he become a 4 to 4.10 era pitcher? Yes. Thats about all i think he can be now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Was talking to a friend about this recently. If you look at Felix, he has the arm of a guy much older than he is. Came up VERY early, and was a total innings eater. One hell of a career, but he just doesn't look the same. Sad to see, but age will catch up, along w/wear and tear on the arm. Sucks that he likely lost at least 50 games because of crap run support in his career. Maybe the worst run support in the history of the league.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Mariners just traded for Alex Colome and Denard Span. Colome will help the bullpen but would much rather get starting pitching help. Is Denard Span really that much better than Heredia at this point in his career? But even when Dee comes back to hold down 2nd, it will be nice to have an extra outfielder. Overall I like the trade as I don't think Moore is ever going to be more than a back of the rotation starter, although I don't know much about the Romero kid.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1000135815127752704[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1000136093482680322[/tweet]

Crizilla

Reaction score
Looks like these moves are to give Gamel more competition and strengthen the bullpen. Pretty sure Span won't be a Heredia replacement.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":13hw1oz1 said:
IndyHawk":13hw1oz1 said:
TransGenderHawkFan":13hw1oz1 said:
Sports Hernia":13hw1oz1 said:

Slider?
GngocTA

Nice imfo find..
Not sure how you can add speed unless your moved to the BP.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like Span will split time in LF with Gamel. Colome will take the Phelps role as the set up man.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2ocodt40 said:
Mariners just traded for Alex Colome and Denard Span. Colome will help the bullpen but would much rather get starting pitching help. Is Denard Span really that much better than Heredia at this point in his career? But even when Dee comes back to hold down 2nd, it will be nice to have an extra outfielder. Overall I like the trade as I don't think Moore is ever going to be more than a back of the rotation starter, although I don't know much about the Romero kid.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1000135815127752704[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1000136093482680322[/tweet]

Span will be LF, heredia in CF. Gamel will be 4th OF.

I like the colome get.

sutz

Reaction score
Any body getting used to the new M's, winning one run ball games? :mrgreen:

Nice game tonight, good that they could give Pax the win. He's been kind of like Felix from a few years back, not getting wins while pitching pretty good games.

Still need more offense. New guys in at end of the week, I guess, and they were saying that Dee might be ready for the Texas series.

10 over .500 again.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Crazy the amount of 1 run game wins we're having.. but, I'll take it.
Great job Diaz and some damn timely hitting.

DJrmb

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3teeijuq said:
Nice imfo find..

Well, when they worked with Paxton to change his armslot he went from a 94/95 mph guy to a 98/99 mph guy. Not sure if Felix would be open to changing something that drastic at this point in his career but if it could help he should.

Also there's got to be some strength and conditioning stuff he can do to get stronger. I mean how is he losing velocity off his pitches in the first place? It's got to be something right? Felix was once a guy that could hit 97 at times, some loss in velocity is to be expected as pitchers age but I feel like we don't have the full story with Felix going from a guy that was 95-97 to a guy that's 89 now.

Verlander is a guy most see as a good parallel to Felix. They're both in their 14th season yet Verlander still has a good fastball averaging around 95mph and that despite throwing over 50 more innings than Felix and also having a college career before starting in the big leagues unlike Felix who started in the league at 19. Verlander is older, has much more mileage on his arm, yet hasn't lost nearly 10mph off his fastball like Felix. That's why I don't believe Felix's dip in velocity is just all natural aging, which may also mean there's a way to fix it some...

IndyHawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":2nzzjrhp said:
IndyHawk":2nzzjrhp said:
Nice imfo find..

Well, when they worked with Paxton to change his armslot he went from a 94/95 mph guy to a 98/99 mph guy. Not sure if Felix would be open to changing something that drastic at this point in his career but if it could help he should.

Also there's got to be some strength and conditioning stuff he can do to get stronger. I mean how is he losing velocity off his pitches in the first place? It's got to be something right? Felix was once a guy that could hit 97 at times, some loss in velocity is to be expected as pitchers age but I feel like we don't have the full story with Felix going from a guy that was 95-97 to a guy that's 89 now.

Verlander is a guy most see as a good parallel to Felix. They're both in their 14th season yet Verlander still has a good fastball averaging around 95mph and that despite throwing over 50 more innings than Felix and also having a college career before starting in the big leagues unlike Felix who started in the league at 19. Verlander is older, has much more mileage on his arm, yet hasn't lost nearly 10mph off his fastball like Felix. That's why I don't believe Felix's dip in velocity is just all natural aging, which may also mean there's a way to fix it some...
Great points ..
We can only hope Felix can do something along those lines.
As for the trade:I like it a lot and have always liked Span even though
he is probaly not the version that was with the Twins/ Nationals.
The guy is a gamer.As for Colome,I know very little of him.