World Cup 2018

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":agijkdh0 said:
Sgt. Largent":agijkdh0 said:
Uncle Si":agijkdh0 said:
also.. nice call back to the Yedlin conversation. He's currently a RWB with Newcastle, so right where Sgt. Lgt pegged him. Wide and high was not his calling after all

So our usual dude bet payoff, sexual favors and a box of Funyuns?

Where the hell am i going to get a box of Funyons?

Jimmy sells them behind the Starbuck's dumpster on Aurora every Tuesday night from 9-11PM. You act like you've never bought black market Funyuns before.

In World Cup news, it feels weird not seeing the US in the World Cup. Now I'm going to have to find an underdog country to root for.............Iceland for sure, great story...........and maybe Panama with our boy Roman Torres.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I havent been to that dumpster in years. Hope Jimmy is doing well

I have very little interest in it so far, without the US (plus the devastating Champs league final)

There will be some interesting games coming up. I think the final 8 could be a remarkable group of teams.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
You gotta wonder how much money Putin gave Mohammed bin Salman to have KSA completely roll over for Russia yesterday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2z1tr91u said:
You gotta wonder how much money Putin gave Mohammed bin Salman to have KSA completely roll over for Russia yesterday.

He didn't need to give him anything, Saudi Arabia's literally the worst ranked team in the World Cup..........couldn't have hand selected a bigger creampuff matchup for the first home match for Russia.

Now did Putin pay some people off to get into one of the easiest groups to GET the Saudi Arabia matchup for it's first match? I'd buy that conspiracy theory.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Portgual/Spain match lived up the hype, one of the better matches I've seen in the WC.

That should feel like a win for Portugal. Ronaldo is kinda good at soccer.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39jdjalu said:
Portgual/Spain match lived up the hype, one of the better matches I've seen in the WC.

I DVRed the match and just finished it. Man that was some entertaining soccer. Funny to think that Iran currently leads group B.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So far all the games except for the opener have been a draw or decided by one goal. That's led to a lot of exciting late match drama.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1duai396 said:

It was probably the best match I've seen, period.

Very happy England came away with 3 points this evening.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3juzzo9a said:
Sgt. Largent":3juzzo9a said:
Refs going to get crucified for allowing Niang to come on

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/1 ... videos-twg
Don't care, I'm rooting for Senegal. They looked very good today.

Man, I love rooting for the African nations. Exciting players, fans and atmospheres to their games. The fans that show up in traditional garb and have chants/songs/prayers going the whole game has always been one of my favorite parts of the World Cup.

I miss rooting for Ivory Coast, Ghana and Cameroon. All of them had players I loved to watch - Eto'o, Drogba, Kolo and Yaya Toure, Salomon Kalou, Michael Essien, the list could go on.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Argentina looked awful today. Their defending and keeper were shaky all game, their midfield virtually MIA and nothing to help Messi up top. Croatia is a pretty solid squad, but I expected Argentina to show a lot more.

It's a shame Messi's international career is just being wasted away. I'm not saying he performs at the same level for Argentina as he does for Barce, not at all. I just can't believe they haven't been able to field a decent defense and find some players who can compliment him.

Does the ego get too big when the players put on the blue & white stripes? They don't play like a squad with any type of chemistry at all.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Man, Argentina look lost out there today. If Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow they're in danger of not making it out of the group.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3085gn7b said:
Man, Argentina look lost out there today. If Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow they're in danger of not making it out of the group.

Argentina could still get screwed on goal differential, even if Nigeria and Iceland tie.

It shouldn't be too shocking, Croatia with Modric was just about everyone's sleeper country going in..................and both Spain and Argentina are long in the tooth this World Cup.

I wasn't exactly impressed with Spain's win yesterday, Iran looked dangerous most of the 2nd half once they had to attack.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Yeah that third goal not only makes the match look like it was a routing, which it wasn't, but it's going to make it nearly impossible for them to get out of the group if tie-breakers go to goal differential.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":35wx9yky said:
Yeah that third goal not only makes the match look like it was a routing, which it wasn't, but it's going to make it nearly impossible for them to get out of the group if tie-breakers go to goal differential.

Croatia dominated that match and the score line, although inflated by late goals, was fair.

Argentina is Messi dribbling and ten guys watching. As much as I enjoy Messi as a player, he is holding this team back with his incessant need to be on the ball for 8-10 touches at a time. Neymar is going the same to Brazil.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Argentina still has a shot if they put a beatdown on Nigeria...........but I don't see that happening. Nigeria looked great today.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bmac2yuc said:
Argentina still has a shot if they put a beatdown on Nigeria...........but I don't see that happening. Nigeria looked great today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Argentina just has to beat Nigeria and hope Iceland doesn't beat Croatia.

Their group currently looks like this:
Croatia - 6 pts
Nigeria - 3 pts
Iceland - 1 pt (-2 goal differential)
Argentina - 1 pt (-3 goal differential)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Correct.

However, I think if Nigeria gets through first 25 minutes without conceding they will go on to win

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Shaqiri is a ton of fun to watch. The Swiss got away with that two-manned tackle in the box on the Serbian player, definitely should have been a PK. A center back for Nigeria did the same thing to a Croatian player in their first match which lead to a converted PK by Modric.

I know some of them haven't been called, but VAR and the ref should be calling that, especially when the ball was delivered TO the player that was being tackled. Awful officiating.