2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Bobblehead

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1r9uad4q said:
I'm predicting JA Happ ends up back here.

Yeah, that's been on the rumor mill for awhile.. also the Yanks are involved I guess.

DJrmb

Reaction score
You guys really think they'll sit Felix? I just don't see that happening. The only way I see them adding a starting pitcher is if one of the guys goes down with an injury. Even then they still have Erasmo Ramirez coming back at some point who you have to find a spot for. Realistically if they add someone I think it'll be another bat or a reliever. Someone like Zach Britton makes a lot of sense. Lengthen the BP to take responsibility/work off your starters.

avengerboater

Reaction score
Unsolved mysteries that we have yet found the answer to:

1) What's at the bottom of the deepest parts of the ocean?

2) What's on the other side of black holes?

3) Why is Kyle Seager SO FRIGGEN BAD at the plate?

Geez. Watching him take strike 3's looking time and time again is so aggravating.

Here's how to get Seager out: pitch inside (foul off), pitch outside (strike swinging), then pitch back inside or right down the middle for strike 3 (usually looking). Every. Single. Time.

Man, at least Romine works the count and fouls pitches off. Sigh. :17:

sutz

Reaction score
Not gonna win a lot of games in this league only scoring 2 runs, and especially not in NY. :34853_doh:

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":1oo4bsan said:
Not gonna win a lot of games in this league only scoring 2 runs, and especially not in NY. :34853_doh:

That's gonna happen sometimes over the course of a 162 game season. Happens to the Yankees, happens to the Red Sox, happens to the Astros.

If this was an on going problem with this team (only scoring 2 runs and losing) I guess I would see the point in your post. But it's not. Sooo... :Dunno:

getnasty

Reaction score
Ryan Cook against the top of the Yankees line up makes me nervous.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I can't stress enough how stupid of a pitch that was by Cook. He had already gotten away with the same pitch on the first pitch and then he gets it to 0-2 and comes back with it. It should have been nowhere near the plate on 0-2 and instead he throws the same exact pitch that Stanton was probably regretting not swinging at on the first one. Zunino is an idiot for calling it. He is lost at the plate as well. He takes pitches right down the middle and swings at pitches a foot off the plate.

Crizilla

Reaction score
hanging slider right in Stanton's wheel house. I swear he hits that pitch for a homer every time. Very dumb pitch especially on 0-2 count.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
This addition by subtraction bullpen is not working. I would like to see the team change course to an addition by addition bullpen.

avengerboater

Reaction score
Cook was solid in May, but he's been struggling the last few games. It's not easy watching our bullpen give up 5 runs after Felix did his job through 5 tough innings against probably the best lineup in the MLB.

Let's hope we salvage a win tomorrow. But we'll be going against Severino, so I'm not sure how realistic a win would be. Let's hope we score at least 2 runs and Pax hold them to 1 or 0.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
M's completely blew that game yesterday, particularly the bullpen. Colome has been underwhelming since coming over in the trade. Cook has been a disaster as of late. Both of them missed on pitches and they paid for it.

I really hope the M's don't trade for JA Happ. He isn't the piece to put us over the top. Especially with Felix looking better as of late, no need to bounce someone out of the rotation for a guy like Happ. He is basically what we already have, a bunch of #3(ish) starting pitchers. I know his numbers look great, but he is probably overachieving a bit (like many of our starters). Unless we can get a dominant type of pitcher to put next to Pax, it may be smarter to go after another bullpen arm.

I think we are a good team, but I wouldn't put us ahead of the Astros, Yanks, Sox or even the Indians in a series. Unfortunately I don't know if we have the pieces to make a trade to get ahead of any of those teams.

Chapow

Reaction score
bigtrain21":13q4dx6j said:
I can't stress enough how stupid of a pitch that was by Cook. He had already gotten away with the same pitch on the first pitch and then he gets it to 0-2 and comes back with it. It should have been nowhere near the plate on 0-2 and instead he throws the same exact pitch that Stanton was probably regretting not swinging at on the first one. Zunino is an idiot for calling it. He is lost at the plate as well. He takes pitches right down the middle and swings at pitches a foot off the plate.

Zunino was set up low and on the outside corner. Trying to blame that on Zunino is absurd. It couldn't be more obvious that where that pitch ended up was a mistake by Cook. He missed his spot. If he executes that pitch properly, it's likely a swing and a miss or ball 1.

Crizilla":13q4dx6j said:
hanging slider right in Stanton's wheel house. I swear he hits that pitch for a homer every time. Very dumb pitch especially on 0-2 count.

You guys are pretty much blowing my mind. You actually think he meant to throw that pitch where he did? You actually think he meant to throw a meatball in the middle of the plate to Giancarlo Stanton in a tie game in the bottom of the 9th?

Good lord guys... :34853_doh:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He clearly wanted it to be low and outside, good chance he would have chased it. It happens, to EVERY pitcher who has ever pitched. Sometimes you just leave one up.

avengerboater

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":31j5ntlu said:
M's completely blew that game yesterday, particularly the bullpen. Colome has been underwhelming since coming over in the trade. Cook has been a disaster as of late. Both of them missed on pitches and they paid for it.

I really hope the M's don't trade for JA Happ. He isn't the piece to put us over the top. Especially with Felix looking better as of late, no need to bounce someone out of the rotation for a guy like Happ. He is basically what we already have, a bunch of #3(ish) starting pitchers. I know his numbers look great, but he is probably overachieving a bit (like many of our starters). Unless we can get a dominant type of pitcher to put next to Pax, it may be smarter to go after another bullpen arm.

I think we are a good team, but I wouldn't put us ahead of the Astros, Yanks, Sox or even the Indians in a series. Unfortunately I don't know if we have the pieces to make a trade to get ahead of any of those teams.

If you look at JA Happ's stats this season, 23 of the 36 runs he's given up were in 5 games out of 15. The other 10 games, he's been solid. Softy posted a stat on Twitter that his ERA in those other 10 games were 1.6 or something like that. I'm not saying he's a good trade target, I think he's old and will wear down as the season progresses, but he isn't as bad as most people think. He could be a good 3 or 4 guy, imo, and better than Leake or LeBlanc right now. Like it or not, we DO NEED another quality starting pitcher if we are to have any chance of advancing to the playoffs.

If we end up in the 1-game wild card playoff, which is the most likely scenario, tbh, Paxton will likely pitch that game. Then, if we happen to win it, we'll need a solid 2-4 in our rotation to have any chance of advancing. I read somewhere that Randy Johnson felt like we could've won the World Series in 1995 if it weren't for him having to pitch that tie-breaker game against the Angels to get us into the playoffs. Randy being used in that game set the rotation back for the rest of that 95 playoffs.

But back to the present, if our bullpen can't hold on to leads and our offense continues to struggle (we have holes in the lineup after Cruz), I wouldn't really hang too much hope on advancing past the wild-card, if we make it.

avengerboater

Reaction score
And I don't get Servais' thought process sometimes. For today's game, he has Span batting 3rd while Gamel, who's been swinging a hot bat, bats 7th. Why not put Gamel at 2, Hani 3, Cruz 4, etc.?

Span's already come up with empty with guys on base a few times today already. :229031_shrug:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I'd like to believe different, this team is just a notch below Houston, NY and Boston. Not a huge gap, but it's pretty clear. Just get to the dance and anything can happen. I might be in the minority, but I'm still not sold on Servais. On another note, 5 STRAIGHT innings leaving a man in scoring position. You can't do that against a good team, period.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2drfwnp5 said:
As much as I'd like to believe different, this team is just a notch below Houston, NY and Boston. Not a huge gap, but it's pretty clear. .

Look at the run differentials. It is a massive gap between those teams and the Mariners. That isn't to say that the Mariners couldn't win a short series, as there is so much variance in baseball, but this team isn't as good as their record might suggest. The Mariners have a fluky one-run-game record and have played way more games against the Central than any of those teams.