World Cup 2018

DKHAWK79

Reaction score
VAR needs some serious fine tuning. It is so random what is being called and they still miss obvious penalties. I am happy they took away Neymar's penalty today though. But yesterday's game between Denmark - Australia they call it on one Penalty that is questionable at best and the choose not to even look at it in another instance where Australian player drags down Danish player in the box.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
VAR is meant to confirm or overrule the referees decision. In many instances it’s going the job. But remember, every non call by a ref is something VAR looks to overturn. As you know with NFL, overturning a call is difficult.

So far it’s been fine. It doesn’t impede open play and it’s been right in overturning calls made (Neymar pen, Iran goal) is far more important to the casual fan.

sdog1981

Reaction score
In a lot of ways this how the Messi era should end. Total disappointment. To this day I have no clue why Messi did not cap for Spain.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":qao6ti6m said:
In a lot of ways this how the Messi era should end. Total disappointment. To this day I have no clue why Messi did not cap for Spain.

Born and raised in Argentina probably has a lot to do with it.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Germany are losing 1-0 at the half. If they lose this match they're eliminated. Seems to be a trend of WC Champs not making it out of the group stage the following WC.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3a3xx4dp said:
Germany are losing 1-0 at the half. If they lose this match they're eliminated. Seems to be a trend of WC Champs not making it out of the group stage the following WC.

3 of last 4 have been eliminated in group stages. One more in quarters

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What a game. Germany scores on the last couple minutes of extra time down a man.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
We're through 29 matches of the WC and not a single 0-0 draw, and only 8 of the matches have been determined by more than 1 goal. This has been the most entertaining and competitive WC I've watched.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1ks385bk said:
What a game. Germany scores on the last couple minutes of extra time down a man.

What a moment from one of the best in the world.

That’s why this is, for me, the best sport for fans. Just not that kind of drama anywhere else.

original poster

Reaction score
It was a cracking game and I didn't want to enjoy Germany winning at all, but I did.

England vs Panama today, cannot wait!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":31qifrat said:
England vs Panama today, cannot wait!

Watching Panama play just pisses me off, because that spot should have been us. Panama has no business being in the World Cup, they've been embarrassing for CONCACAF.

I hope everyone involved in the US program is equally pissed off and working their asses off to make sure this never happens again.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
That Germany v. Sweden game had one hell of a finish. Couldn't believe the dramatics. Deutschland has been my favorite national team (aside from USA) since I got to spend some time there in 2007. I really didn't want to see them bowing out at groups.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2xhqofxm said:
That Germany v. Sweden game had one hell of a finish. Couldn't believe the dramatics. Deutschland has been my favorite national team (aside from USA) since I got to spend some time there in 2007. I really didn't want to see them bowing out at groups.

This tournament needs Germany to make a deep run, certainly. When they play their younger players they are a lot of fun to watch.

This match required Muller and Gomez as Sweden was camped in and forcing everything wide. Not much room for the likes of Draxler and Werner.

But.. as the tournament progresses and teams try and play them straight up, the more innovative and ambitious German players (Brandt, Draxler, Werner, even Can) will be fun to watch

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Watching Ronaldo off the ball is as enjoyable as watching Ronaldo on the ball. It's a clinic to show kids on how important off the ball movement and work rate is to being the greatest goal scorer on the planet.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a72048um said:
Watching Ronaldo off the ball is as enjoyable as watching Ronaldo on the ball. It's a clinic to show kids on how important off the ball movement and work rate is to being the greatest goal scorer on the planet.

Not just to being the greatest (well, one of) goal scorers but also how it opens up his team to play quicker. Portugal moves the ball quite well because they are quick and always forging new spaces for each other. Opponents are constantly in transition which keeps things open.

In contrast (why not) Messi's biggest issue with Argentina is that despite all of his work off the ball, he ends up with it in virtually the same channels ands ends up dribbling around while the rest of his team stands and watches.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Man, what a game between Spain and Morocco. Nothing to play for but pride and the Moroccans almost pull off the upset.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":12ymxh91 said:
Sgt. Largent":12ymxh91 said:

Not just to being the greatest (well, one of) goal scorers but also how it opens up his team to play quicker. Portugal moves the ball quite well because they are quick and always forging new spaces for each other. Opponents are constantly in transition which keeps things open.

In contrast (why not) Messi's biggest issue with Argentina is that despite all of his work off the ball, he ends up with it in virtually the same channels ands ends up dribbling around while the rest of his team stands and watches.

Yep, good contrast between the two most heralded modern day goal scorers.

In Messi's defense, Ronaldo's 6'2", 185 lbs and is runs like Carl Lewis in the long jump.............and Messi while a magician on the ball, gets pushed around by defenders making runs and isn't effective out wide. So he's more limited in his effectiveness beyond staying middle dribbling to open up a shot or pass.

That's why I side with Ronaldo when this debate is brought up. IMO he's the more complete player, because he's so versatile with all the ways you've explained.

IN WC news, I feel sorry for Iran, they played three really good matches, and are going home. Feisty side, they should be proud.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3965lnji said:
Uncle Si":3965lnji said:
Sgt. Largent":3965lnji said:

Yep, good contrast between the two most heralded modern day goal scorers.

In Messi's defense, Ronaldo's 6'2", 185 lbs and is runs like Carl Lewis in the long jump.............and Messi while a magician on the ball, gets pushed around by defenders making runs and isn't effective out wide. So he's more limited in his effectiveness beyond staying middle dribbling to open up a shot or pass.

That's why I side with Ronaldo when this debate is brought up. IMO he's the more complete player, because he's so versatile with all the ways you've explained.

IN WC news, I feel sorry for Iran, they played three really good matches, and are going home. Feisty side, they should be proud.

Messi causes his own problems by not creating enough for his teammates. He's nearly impossible to push off the ball 1v1, or even 1v2. But unlike this modern iteration of Ronaldo, Messi is constantly bringing 4/5 players around him.

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is not all that tricky anymore, and despite his physical prowess is nowhere near the speed merchant he once was. He has modified his game to be far more effective in spaces than on the ball, as you pointed out.

5 years ago, it was Messi for me. Now, its Ronaldo

(actually, it's Salah, but that's another story)

Iran, Peru, Morocco have represented themselves very well, even in going out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10v1aru1 said:
Uncle Si":10v1aru1 said:
(actually, it's Salah, but that's another story).

Liverpool, now we're talking. :229031_cheers:

Have we not discussed this?

Since 1984. They replaced the Sounders when they folded out of the old NASL

Very ex tied for them this year.