Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

World Cup 2018

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: World Cup 2018
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:02 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground

Good. This is what happens when you're the floppiest flopper who ever flopped.............you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs.

He CAN'T NOT embellish a foul.

I like how Belgium's using their size advantage to push Brazil around and frustrate them.

And that's what's wrong with the game...

He embellishes because he gets no protection from the refs (or his teammates). It's an absurd situation and people need to readjust their perspective

but that's just me
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 am
  • Is it me, or team from Europe enjoy size advantage against team from other continents? OK in soccer, bigger may not be better, but most Europeans seems to be taller and bulkier.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:04 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground

Good. This is what happens when you're the floppiest flopper who ever flopped.............you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs.

He CAN'T NOT embellish a foul.

I like how Belgium's using their size advantage to push Brazil around and frustrate them.

And that's what's wrong with the game...

He embellishes because he gets no protection from the refs (or his teammates). It's an absurd situation and people need to readjust their perspective

but that's just me

Neymar broke a record for called fouls in a WC match. He also broke a record at PSG....................... so get out with this nonsense.

http://www.businessinsider.com/neymar-f ... ars-2018-6

http://www.espn.com/soccer/paris-saint- ... op-leagues

Neymar embellishes for the same reason a lot of players embellish, it gets them calls and backs defenders off because they know as soon as they breathe on him, he's going down like he was ran over by a car.

It's why most soccer fans enjoy the Euro leagues over latin leagues, too many floppers and nonsense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 pm
  • toffee wrote:Is it me, or team from Europe enjoy size advantage against team from other continents? OK in soccer, bigger may not be better, but most Europeans seems to be taller and bulkier.

Yes. In general latin/south american people are smaller, so therefore their players are as well.

Europe is obviously a bigger melting pot of different nationalities from all over the world. Also a big influx of African immigrants over the past 20 years or so.

But IMO that's the beauty of soccer, you can win tactically more than one way. Quick and technical like Spain, or using size, athleticism and aggressiveness like Germany (or Belgium just did).
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:14 pm
  • So hold on.. he breaks a record for fouls against him and you think it's because he embellishes?

Jesus...

the man gets hacked, clipped, punched, pinched, kicked, pulled, stamped and stomped more than any player in the league and barely gets any protection. for all the fouls he draws, there are dozens that dont. for every flailing on the ground, there is some offense that goes completely without punishment elicited against him.

People focus on his theatrics without watching what is actually happening to him on the field. The same goes for many players and fans fall right into place.

He had a man grind his metal studs into his ankle and people scream at him for "embellishing" the injury while the perpetrator doesn't even get a mean look from the ref.

Yes, he embellishes. A lot of them do. But he has also been getting the shit kicked out of him with not a whistle blown to help him. Those that aren't seeing it aren't watching the game very closely, or don't know what they're watching.

So get out with that nonsense.

Call fouls. give cards and retroactively ban players for diving. Thats how you get away with it. To be clear, i'm not backing Neymar here, just the idea that fans want "fakers" punished but let literal crimes go on the field without a word. I could care less about him, just want the game cleaned up.

Also, people watch the Euro leagues because that's where all the best players are. Spain (which is latin, in nature, i think) outdraws them all.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:20 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:So hold on.. he breaks a record for fouls against him and you think it's because he embellishes?

You said he doesn't get protection from the refs and his teammates, and I was proving you wrong by showing you that he gets more calls than anyone in his own league AND this WC.

And this is pure speculation, but I'd guess that he doesn't get protection from his teammates because they don't like him being a punk flopper rolling around on the ground like an idiot either................and I'd also venture to guess it's also why he's AS talented as Messi and Ronaldo, yet is rarely mentioned in the "best current player" conversation.

People don't respect the nonsense. If he's just take the foul without the histrionics and carrying on, he might actually gain more respect from fans, peers and his own teammates.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:So hold on.. he breaks a record for fouls against him and you think it's because he embellishes?

You said he doesn't get protection from the refs and his teammates, and I was proving you wrong by showing you that he gets more calls than anyone in his own league AND this WC.

And this is pure speculation, but I'd guess that he doesn't get protection from his teammates because they don't like him being a punk flopper rolling around on the ground like an idiot either................and I'd also venture to guess it's also why he's AS talented as Messi and Ronaldo, yet is rarely mentioned in the "best current player" conversation.

People don't respect the nonsense. If he's just take the foul without the histrionics and carrying on, he might actually gain more respect from fans, peers and his own teammates.

Do you think the histrionics come with every foul? Like the 11 times he was fouled earlier in the tournament he was on the ground holding his ankle? have you watched how often he gets clubbed and no fouls are called? probably not.
    The calls aren't "protection"

That's the way the game should be refereed.

Protection is getting yellow and red cards issued for all the hard, tactical fouls he incurs.

I also dont think you understand what "protection from a teammate" in soccer would entail. I imagine his teammates are just fine with him.

Being one of the most popular players in the world would also indicate he's quite popular. given the battering he takes on behalf of his club, country and teammates is not something his teammates don't notice.

I laugh at the people who can, in one breath bash a player like Neymar for "flopping" or "faking" and in the same breath point to all the fouls he earns as some measure of balance. It shows a misunderstanding of what takes place on the field.

Also, I can't remember a time in the last 3 years a conversation about the "best player" didnt come up and involve Neymar. He finished 3rd in Baloon D'or last year, 5th in 2016, 3rd in 2015 and is shortlisted this year.

and he's 26.

Is he perfect? no. He deserves criticism at times.

But this notion that what is being done to him (and has been done to Messi for years in la liga, Ronaldo and Ronaldihno before them) is somehow part of the game and they should "get over it" is ridiculous and exactly why the sport has some of the issues it does.

Neymar is a reaction to it, not a cause.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:44 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    But this notion that what is being done to him (and has been done to Messi for years in la liga, Ronaldo and Ronaldihno before them) is somehow part of the game and they should "get over it" is ridiculous and exactly why the sport has some of the issues it does.

Neymar is a reaction to it, not a cause.

I don't think he or any player should "get over it."

I think he should take a page from Messi. Arguably the greatest player on the planet, and he gets hacked and thugged more than anyone, and he NEVER dives.

I think that goes a long way towards earning the respect from the refs and peers. You know refs Si, they hate the diving part of soccer, it makes their jobs really hard............especially in the pressure packed fishbowl of the WC.

That's all I'm saying, embellishment is part of the game, and as we've discussed in other threads it's not a big part of it. But players like Neymar don't help the cause, and they certainly don't help THEIR cause with all the histrionics.

Or maybe it does, cause he gets a ton of fouls called. But sorry, I don't feel sorry for a player that embellishes as much as he does when it comes to not getting a call, or not having a yellow or red called.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm
  • Largent is spot on. He brings it upon himself because he wants to dribble so much and then embellishes/simulates at every opportunity. If you never try to muscle out any type of contact, you're going to be seen by everybody as a flopper and you no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt and will only get obvious calls for you. This is soccer 101 from like the age 12 on. You can't try to take on an entire back line then flail on normal contact and ask for a foul when you have virtually no shot of maintaining possession through the run.

If he would attempt to play through contact and not writhe around in feigned agony, he'd win more respect and trust with referees, players and everyone else.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    If he would attempt to play through contact and not writhe around in feigned agony, he'd win more respect and trust with referees, players and everyone else.

You mean like this.

Wait, I thought the refs hate Neymar............and these are the dives that resulted in red cards. lol.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:34 pm
  • yeah... messi never dives

Image (or embellishes)

Image (or fakes)

Image (not even a yellow on this by the way)

Image (not a foul called)

over the 1000s of minutes these guys have played you search videos that are meant to try and prove a straw man argument?

Come on Sarge.

The point, whether you wish to believe it, is the theatrical aspects of all of these players comes from a lack of protection from referees. Embellishment (ask anyone who has played at higher levels) is less about "cheating" and more about "the refs never call anything if you dont"

You can choose to batter a player like Neymar because you dont like his reactions. But you're missing the much, much bigger picture. or ignore what Neymar does play through, focus on theatrics, and continue to watch the game deteriorate.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:00 pm
  • anyways... moving the conversation..

very pleased with watching Belgium this whole tournament. Great in transition, creative in possession.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am
  • Semi finals here we come!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:06 pm
  • I feel for Russian fans. Croatian GK was basically on one leg and they couldn’t win the shootout. One of the guys even gave him a soft kick right to him.... like a gift. There should be some really good games next week. I think it’s going to be France and England in the final.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:48 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:I feel for Russian fans. Croatian GK was basically on one leg and they couldn’t win the shootout. One of the guys even gave him a soft kick right to him.... like a gift. There should be some really good games next week. I think it’s going to be France and England in the final.

One of the worst panenka's i've ever seen... and at a terrible time. added, it made no sense to go to the keeper's right if he has a pulled right hamstring.

Russian's were still very unfortunate given the way Modric's penalty found it's way in.

Best scenario for the semi's I couldve dreamed up. Very well balanced teams (i'd say best balanced teams in the tournament are in the final 4) with eyes to go forward. Belgium and Croatia have the stronger midfields. Belgium the best keeper. England has the better back 4 and probably the best striker. France has the pace and best overall quality.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 am
  • I'm rooting for Belgium because Eden Hazard is one of my favorite players to watch. I just wish he didn't play for Chelsea, but I suppose that's better than ManU or Arsenal. :P
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:I'm rooting for Belgium because Eden Hazard is one of my favorite players to watch. I just wish he didn't play for Chelsea, but I suppose that's better than ManU or Arsenal. :P

He is one of my favorites as well.

I can see Real coming after him this window. I don't think he'd want to stay at Chelsea without Champs league
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:I feel for Russian fans. Croatian GK was basically on one leg and they couldn’t win the shootout. One of the guys even gave him a soft kick right to him.... like a gift. There should be some really good games next week. I think it’s going to be France and England in the final.

Lets be honest, Russia was in a weak group, got a great hometown draw and was lucky to make it this far.

They played their ass off, so I'll give them credit. But Croatia is the better side, and IMO deserved to go through.

And as much as I love Luka Modric, I'd also love to see a France and England final. So much old school animosity and history between the countries, it'd be epic.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:I feel for Russian fans. Croatian GK was basically on one leg and they couldn’t win the shootout. One of the guys even gave him a soft kick right to him.... like a gift. There should be some really good games next week. I think it’s going to be France and England in the final.

Lets be honest, Russia was in a weak group, got a great hometown draw and was lucky to make it this far.

They played their ass off, so I'll give them credit. But Croatia is the better side, and IMO deserved to go through.

And as much as I love Luka Modric, I'd also love to see a France and England final. So much old school animosity and history between the countries, it'd be epic.

any of the permutations will make for a great match. I while do think that the two countries have forgiven each other for their respective roles in the colonial wars of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, England-Belgium seems a better overall match to me.

But again, any of them look real good on paper, and each will be tough to pick a winner.

Ranking the 4 teams left, I'd say:

1. Belgium (better overall balance)
    2. France (better overall talent, barely, over Belgium)
    3. England (decent balance, best striker)
    4. Croatia (best midfield left)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:. I while do think that the two countries have forgiven each other for their respective roles in the colonial wars of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries,)

NEVER FORGET!

From what I've watched this WC, I'd swap Belgium and France in your rankings............but I agree any of the four combos would be great.

And Si, no NEYMAR WOOT!

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 am
  • That was funnier when it was about the Italian national team 10 years ago.

anyways... Let's rank some Anglo-Franc wars

5. Napoleonic Wars
    4. War of the League of Cambria
    3. War of the Spanish Succession
    2. King George's War (thank you France!!)
    1. 100 years War
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:02 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:That was funnier when it was about the Italian national team 10 years ago.

anyways... Let's rank some Anglo-Franc wars

5. Napoleonic Wars
    4. War of the League of Cambria
    3. War of the Spanish Succession
    2. King George's War (thank you France!!)
    1. 100 years War

Whoa, what about the First Baron's War in 1215. Bunch of rich dudes who got tired of the King's crap after he signed the Magna Carta.........put together a sweet army and invaded his bogus ass.

I feel like Spicoli explaining the Revolutionary War.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:09 pm
  • Which war does the First Barons war replace?

Right?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:06 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Which war does the First Barons war replace?

Right?

I had to look up the War of the League of Cambria, so that one. Plus it's a stupid name for a War, doesn't roll off the tongue at all.

Is it the War of the League, or War of Cambria..........both? Make up your mind war people!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Which war does the First Barons war replace?

Right?

I had to look up the War of the League of Cambria, so that one. Plus it's a stupid name for a War, doesn't roll off the tongue at all.

Is it the War of the League, or War of Cambria..........both? Make up your mind war people!

Uhhh.. read up on your history, brate.

This was a significant war between the two cultures, extending throughout Italy, involving the Papacy... and with many, many different names.

Don't you dare come at the War of:

The League of Cambria
    The League
    of Cambria
    of Italy
    of the Holy League..

or as it's known on reddit

of the sideswitching cluster----
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:11 pm
  • Got a little sloppy, divy and time wasty towards the end, but really good match between France and Belgium.

France was just more athletic and quick for Belgium.............who other than Hazard, no one really looked dangerous.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:03 pm
  • Was wondering if any of you see Lukaku as a good player?

Btw, Belgians had some of the most bitter comments that have seen in this WC so far :lol:
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:42 am
  • Nog wrote:Was wondering if any of you see Lukaku as a good player?

Btw, Belgians had some of the most bitter comments that have seen in this WC so far :lol:

I thought Lukaku had a great tournament, but was ineffective yesterday. Oddly, that's been his knock at United as well. Can toss a hat trick on the scoreboard in a 5-0 rout against Stoke or the like, but cant get a goal against Chelsea/City/Spurs/Liverpool when the team needs him the most.

I think he is limited by his manager and system, however. At Everton, he was a solo target with not much help. At United, he has to set up in the box and wait for crosses.

Belgium provided him a new role and he excelled. Starting transitions with quick checks and even started more than few dangerous moves with penetrating dribbles.

There's a world class striker there if he ever finds a system similar to what Belgium was giving him
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 am
  • Croatia vs England is terrific so far.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:04 pm
  • Tried to stream it but no dice. Even my co-workers who stream all of the games couldn't get one.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 pm
  • What a game. I didn't get the Croatia v. Belgium match up I wanted, but what a treat this WC has been.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm
  • I hope Croatia pulls it off.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm
  • Today, today God decided saving the Queen is enough, thy let the Queen's team go.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:38 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:What a game. I didn't get the Croatia v. Belgium match up I wanted, but what a treat this WC has been.

A little too much "gamesmanship" by Croatia at the end for my taste. But that's quibbling, a very open and back and forth entertaining match throughout.

England should be proud, they have a very promising young roster full of talent to build on.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:What a game. I didn't get the Croatia v. Belgium match up I wanted, but what a treat this WC has been.

A little too much "gamesmanship" by Croatia at the end for my taste. But that's quibbling, a very open and back and forth entertaining match throughout.

England should be proud, they have a very promising young roster full of talent to build on.

So i've been thinking about this, and the England team, for some time.

And i'm really perplexed if they actually do have a "good side" or was it just an easy run.

England certainly brought some young talent to the tournament. But let's look at the outcomes: Alli, Sterling and Lindegaard were very mediocre throughout and left Henderson and the back 4 to sort out the gaps.

Rashford didnt see nearly enough time. Kane was mediocre by his standards (and cost them the match last night). Yes, he will win the golden boot, but his holdup play and transitions were disjointed and he converted penalties to boost his number.

The back 4 contributed goals, but also cost them (against Belgium, nearly Sweden, certainly Columbia and finally last night) with a lack of focus and simple adjustments to their opponents.

Henderson was very good all tournament, but his limitations were brought to the fold last night. he ran with the Croatian midfield, keeping them from countering, but couldnt string attacking passes together. The manager was heaped praise for the run, but left out several CM options before the trip and it cost them late on, as Henderson himself could not defend the entirety of the middle 3rd while Alli and Lindegaard stood watching. Certainly a Shelvey or a Wilshere would have made more of a difference than bringing on Dier to play DM.

There were some standouts, but I think England was more fortunate than good, and Croatia took them to task, albeit a bit dramatically
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:17 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:What a game. I didn't get the Croatia v. Belgium match up I wanted, but what a treat this WC has been.

And i'm really perplexed if they actually do have a "good side" or was it just an easy run.

England certainly brought some young talent to the tournament. But let's look at the outcomes: Alli, Sterling and Lindegaard were very mediocre throughout and left Henderson and the back 4 to sort out the gaps.

Rashford didnt see nearly enough time. Kane was mediocre by his standards (and cost them the match last night). Yes, he will win the golden boot, but his holdup play and transitions were disjointed and he converted penalties to boost his number.

The back 4 contributed goals, but also cost them (against Belgium, nearly Sweden, certainly Columbia and finally last night) with a lack of focus and simple adjustments to their opponents.

Henderson was very good all tournament, but his limitations were brought to the fold last night. he ran with the Croatian midfield, keeping them from countering, but couldnt string attacking passes together. The manager was heaped praise for the run, but left out several CM options before the trip and it cost them late on, as Henderson himself could not defend the entirety of the middle 3rd while Alli and Lindegaard stood watching. Certainly a Shelvey or a Wilshere would have made more of a difference than bringing on Dier to play DM.

There were some standouts, but I think England was more fortunate than good, and Croatia took them to task, albeit a bit dramatically

It's a valid argument, and we won't know until the next cycle starts and we see more of England's national team against better competition.

And IMO they're NOWHERE near the insane young talent of France, who I think is going to handle Croatia easily in the finals..............but yes, in general Si I think England has a lot of good young talent to build on around;

Lingard, McGuire, Pickford, Alli and Rashford all should continue to get better playing in the EPL with top clubs.

But yes, other than Russia England had the easiest path, so might have been a little overrated to begin with.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Nog wrote:Was wondering if any of you see Lukaku as a good player?

I thought Lukaku had a great tournament, but was ineffective yesterday. Oddly, that's been his knock at United as well. Can toss a hat trick on the scoreboard in a 5-0 rout against Stoke or the like, but cant get a goal against Chelsea/City/Spurs/Liverpool when the team needs him the most.

I think he is limited by his manager and system, however. At Everton, he was a solo target with not much help. At United, he has to set up in the box and wait for crosses.

Belgium provided him a new role and he excelled. Starting transitions with quick checks and even started more than few dangerous moves with penetrating dribbles.

There's a world class striker there if he ever finds a system similar to what Belgium was giving him

Always crumble in big games IMO... Sign of a terrible player! But I'm little biased I really hate this style of player.

I actually agree on what you've said about his manager and system. However, in terms of pressure, it is not the same to play for United compare to Everton.

I also remembered Drogba on Mourinho's system. He was playing as an anchor doing all of the dirty chores (if I may say...). However, I had a better reminiscence of Drogba than Lukaku.

edit: concerning England, I feel like as same as Uncle SI. Easy side to get into the semi. However, Southgate (in terms of coaching), Trippier, and Pickford had nice showing in this WC. It sorted of carried out England to this really run.
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

It's a valid argument, and we won't know until the next cycle starts and we see more of England's national team against better competition.

And IMO they're NOWHERE near the insane young talent of France, who I think is going to handle Croatia easily in the finals..............but yes, in general Si I think England has a lot of good young talent to build on around;

Lingard, McGuire, Pickford, Alli and Rashford all should continue to get better playing in the EPL with top clubs.

But yes, other than Russia England had the easiest path, so might have been a little overrated to begin with.

I think by next cycle you could see the likes of Alli, Lingard and Sterling replaced by better, younger players. I think their value and contributions are inflated.

To be seen though.

Pickford was immense. Trippier was good on the ball but struggled to defend. I’m biased but I’d liked to have seen Trent Alexander there

The squad will be losing Henderson by next World Cup. Will be interesting who their next 6 and 8 are. They are strong in many places, decent in others. But their possession in mods is poor. Similar to US problems over the years.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:17 pm
  • Nog wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Nog wrote:Was wondering if any of you see Lukaku as a good player?

Always crumble in big games IMO... Sign of a terrible player! But I'm little biased I really hate this style of player.

I actually agree on what you've said about his manager and system. However, in terms of pressure, it is not the same to play for United compare to Everton.

I also remembered Drogba on Mourinho's system. He was playing as an anchor doing all of the dirty chores (if I may say...). However, I had a better reminiscence of Drogba than Lukaku.

edit: concerning England, I feel like as same as Uncle SI. Easy side to get into the semi. However, Southgate (in terms of coaching), Trippier, and Pickford had nice showing in this WC. It sorted of carried out England to this really run.

Drogba was built for Mourinhos system. But he was also just a world class finisher. Lukaku goes missing in big games. He’s still young. If he finds his way into games the way he did against Brazil he could be some player in the Prem
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm
  • My french team makes me proud :0190l:
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:53 pm
  • From start to finish this was the most entertaining World Cup I've watched. Four more years til we do it all again.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:47 pm
  • France were deserved winners.

Kind of a strange match, but still entertaining.

From match to match there was more open play and certainly demonstrated a better balance in talent across the nations. Also, a good showcase of up and coming superstars as well as young talent
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:31 pm
  • It was a strange match.

Croatia out hustled and looked far more composes and dangerous most of the first half and well into the 2nd half...........but France just had too much quality up top and capitalized on their opportunities.

The score certainly wasn't indicative of how even the match was.

I have crazy respect for Croatia, hard as nails side that balled out the entire tourney. Really fun side to watch, much respect.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Previous

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information