World Cup 2018

Uncle Si

Reaction score
That was funnier when it was about the Italian national team 10 years ago.

anyways... Let's rank some Anglo-Franc wars

5. Napoleonic Wars
4. War of the League of Cambria
3. War of the Spanish Succession
2. King George's War (thank you France!!)
1. 100 years War

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1bf27lmx said:
That was funnier when it was about the Italian national team 10 years ago.

anyways... Let's rank some Anglo-Franc wars

5. Napoleonic Wars
4. War of the League of Cambria
3. War of the Spanish Succession
2. King George's War (thank you France!!)
1. 100 years War

Whoa, what about the First Baron's War in 1215. Bunch of rich dudes who got tired of the King's crap after he signed the Magna Carta.........put together a sweet army and invaded his bogus ass.

I feel like Spicoli explaining the Revolutionary War.

[youtube]a8BODTA3Kn8[/youtube]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Which war does the First Barons war replace?

Right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2msm5cm0 said:

Right?

I had to look up the War of the League of Cambria, so that one. Plus it's a stupid name for a War, doesn't roll off the tongue at all.

Is it the War of the League, or War of Cambria..........both? Make up your mind war people!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2a9ou3uj said:
Uncle Si":2a9ou3uj said:

Right?

I had to look up the War of the League of Cambria, so that one. Plus it's a stupid name for a War, doesn't roll off the tongue at all.

Is it the War of the League, or War of Cambria..........both? Make up your mind war people!

Uhhh.. read up on your history, brate.

This was a significant war between the two cultures, extending throughout Italy, involving the Papacy... and with many, many different names.

Don't you dare come at the War of:

The League of Cambria
The League
of Cambria
of Italy
of the Holy League..

or as it's known on reddit

of the sideswitching cluster----

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Got a little sloppy, divy and time wasty towards the end, but really good match between France and Belgium.

France was just more athletic and quick for Belgium.............who other than Hazard, no one really looked dangerous.

Nog

Reaction score
Was wondering if any of you see Lukaku as a good player?

Btw, Belgians had some of the most bitter comments that have seen in this WC so far :lol:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":2b42m7q9 said:

Btw, Belgians had some of the most bitter comments that have seen in this WC so far :lol:

I thought Lukaku had a great tournament, but was ineffective yesterday. Oddly, that's been his knock at United as well. Can toss a hat trick on the scoreboard in a 5-0 rout against Stoke or the like, but cant get a goal against Chelsea/City/Spurs/Liverpool when the team needs him the most.

I think he is limited by his manager and system, however. At Everton, he was a solo target with not much help. At United, he has to set up in the box and wait for crosses.

Belgium provided him a new role and he excelled. Starting transitions with quick checks and even started more than few dangerous moves with penetrating dribbles.

There's a world class striker there if he ever finds a system similar to what Belgium was giving him

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
What a game. I didn't get the Croatia v. Belgium match up I wanted, but what a treat this WC has been.

toffee

Reaction score
Today, today God decided saving the Queen is enough, thy let the Queen's team go.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1jhrbeu6 said:
What a game. I didn't get the Croatia v. Belgium match up I wanted, but what a treat this WC has been.

A little too much "gamesmanship" by Croatia at the end for my taste. But that's quibbling, a very open and back and forth entertaining match throughout.

England should be proud, they have a very promising young roster full of talent to build on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":jnyukqwd said:
JGfromtheNW":jnyukqwd said:

A little too much "gamesmanship" by Croatia at the end for my taste. But that's quibbling, a very open and back and forth entertaining match throughout.

England should be proud, they have a very promising young roster full of talent to build on.

So i've been thinking about this, and the England team, for some time.

And i'm really perplexed if they actually do have a "good side" or was it just an easy run.

England certainly brought some young talent to the tournament. But let's look at the outcomes: Alli, Sterling and Lindegaard were very mediocre throughout and left Henderson and the back 4 to sort out the gaps.

Rashford didnt see nearly enough time. Kane was mediocre by his standards (and cost them the match last night). Yes, he will win the golden boot, but his holdup play and transitions were disjointed and he converted penalties to boost his number.

The back 4 contributed goals, but also cost them (against Belgium, nearly Sweden, certainly Columbia and finally last night) with a lack of focus and simple adjustments to their opponents.

Henderson was very good all tournament, but his limitations were brought to the fold last night. he ran with the Croatian midfield, keeping them from countering, but couldnt string attacking passes together. The manager was heaped praise for the run, but left out several CM options before the trip and it cost them late on, as Henderson himself could not defend the entirety of the middle 3rd while Alli and Lindegaard stood watching. Certainly a Shelvey or a Wilshere would have made more of a difference than bringing on Dier to play DM.

There were some standouts, but I think England was more fortunate than good, and Croatia took them to task, albeit a bit dramatically

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2u8j4ef0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2u8j4ef0 said:
JGfromtheNW":2u8j4ef0 said:

And i'm really perplexed if they actually do have a "good side" or was it just an easy run.

England certainly brought some young talent to the tournament. But let's look at the outcomes: Alli, Sterling and Lindegaard were very mediocre throughout and left Henderson and the back 4 to sort out the gaps.

Rashford didnt see nearly enough time. Kane was mediocre by his standards (and cost them the match last night). Yes, he will win the golden boot, but his holdup play and transitions were disjointed and he converted penalties to boost his number.

The back 4 contributed goals, but also cost them (against Belgium, nearly Sweden, certainly Columbia and finally last night) with a lack of focus and simple adjustments to their opponents.

Henderson was very good all tournament, but his limitations were brought to the fold last night. he ran with the Croatian midfield, keeping them from countering, but couldnt string attacking passes together. The manager was heaped praise for the run, but left out several CM options before the trip and it cost them late on, as Henderson himself could not defend the entirety of the middle 3rd while Alli and Lindegaard stood watching. Certainly a Shelvey or a Wilshere would have made more of a difference than bringing on Dier to play DM.

There were some standouts, but I think England was more fortunate than good, and Croatia took them to task, albeit a bit dramatically

It's a valid argument, and we won't know until the next cycle starts and we see more of England's national team against better competition.

And IMO they're NOWHERE near the insane young talent of France, who I think is going to handle Croatia easily in the finals..............but yes, in general Si I think England has a lot of good young talent to build on around;

Lingard, McGuire, Pickford, Alli and Rashford all should continue to get better playing in the EPL with top clubs.

But yes, other than Russia England had the easiest path, so might have been a little overrated to begin with.

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":28fqqefr said:
Nog":28fqqefr said:

I thought Lukaku had a great tournament, but was ineffective yesterday. Oddly, that's been his knock at United as well. Can toss a hat trick on the scoreboard in a 5-0 rout against Stoke or the like, but cant get a goal against Chelsea/City/Spurs/Liverpool when the team needs him the most.

I think he is limited by his manager and system, however. At Everton, he was a solo target with not much help. At United, he has to set up in the box and wait for crosses.

Belgium provided him a new role and he excelled. Starting transitions with quick checks and even started more than few dangerous moves with penetrating dribbles.

There's a world class striker there if he ever finds a system similar to what Belgium was giving him
Always crumble in big games IMO... Sign of a terrible player! But I'm little biased I really hate this style of player.

I actually agree on what you've said about his manager and system. However, in terms of pressure, it is not the same to play for United compare to Everton.

I also remembered Drogba on Mourinho's system. He was playing as an anchor doing all of the dirty chores (if I may say...). However, I had a better reminiscence of Drogba than Lukaku.

edit: concerning England, I feel like as same as Uncle SI. Easy side to get into the semi. However, Southgate (in terms of coaching), Trippier, and Pickford had nice showing in this WC. It sorted of carried out England to this really run.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h633kk2 said:
Uncle Si":1h633kk2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1h633kk2 said:
JGfromtheNW":1h633kk2 said:

It's a valid argument, and we won't know until the next cycle starts and we see more of England's national team against better competition.

And IMO they're NOWHERE near the insane young talent of France, who I think is going to handle Croatia easily in the finals..............but yes, in general Si I think England has a lot of good young talent to build on around;

Lingard, McGuire, Pickford, Alli and Rashford all should continue to get better playing in the EPL with top clubs.

But yes, other than Russia England had the easiest path, so might have been a little overrated to begin with.

I think by next cycle you could see the likes of Alli, Lingard and Sterling replaced by better, younger players. I think their value and contributions are inflated.

To be seen though.

Pickford was immense. Trippier was good on the ball but struggled to defend. I’m biased but I’d liked to have seen Trent Alexander there

The squad will be losing Henderson by next World Cup. Will be interesting who their next 6 and 8 are. They are strong in many places, decent in others. But their possession in mods is poor. Similar to US problems over the years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":1d0hmcvh said:
Uncle Si":1d0hmcvh said:
Nog":1d0hmcvh said:

Always crumble in big games IMO... Sign of a terrible player! But I'm little biased I really hate this style of player.

I actually agree on what you've said about his manager and system. However, in terms of pressure, it is not the same to play for United compare to Everton.

I also remembered Drogba on Mourinho's system. He was playing as an anchor doing all of the dirty chores (if I may say...). However, I had a better reminiscence of Drogba than Lukaku.

edit: concerning England, I feel like as same as Uncle SI. Easy side to get into the semi. However, Southgate (in terms of coaching), Trippier, and Pickford had nice showing in this WC. It sorted of carried out England to this really run.

Drogba was built for Mourinhos system. But he was also just a world class finisher. Lukaku goes missing in big games. He’s still young. If he finds his way into games the way he did against Brazil he could be some player in the Prem