2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

avengerboater

Reaction score
Offense has taken an early break before the All-Star break and disappeared. It's seriously bad without Cruz in there. Segura can't carry this offense alone, and Haniger has come back down to Earth as of late.

Bullpen has been abysmal.

Opposing teams seem to be playing this brand of aggressive hitting vs our entire pitching staff, bullpen included. Every batter seems to come out swinging at the first few pitches in every AB's. It's worked for the Angels and the Rockies are just following suit.

Man, we scare no one.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
.....and right on cue, Nicasio in to blow a late lead.

Why oh why is he allowed to pitch in close games, and why is he still on this team. His ERA is 6.08 and it’s mid July.
The guy sucks, cut your losses, eat the contract and move on.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I said before toughest division in the league. It's going to come down to the last week of the season. Hold onto your horses.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Can’t score against one of the worst bullpens in the league in one of the best hitters parks. Let the same crappy pitchers come in and blow late inning leads. There is zero reason a guy with a 6.08 era is still in your bullpen blowing games, none!

Pathetic.

Hope they rest up during the AS break.

sutz

Reaction score
Microcosm of our offense lately. Top 6, Jean Segura. Yep, Jean freaking Segura.

Take two strikes, middle away, look very hittable. Something to slap into right for a knock. Take a wild swing at a pitch down out of the zone, pop up to CF. Oops.

:34853_doh:

Score 2 in the first. Take 5 innings off. Score again, but surprise, surprise we get outscored again.

I don't blame our pitchers for the last two games. They did about as well as you can expect against the Rockies at home. Not going to win many in Colorado if you only score 3-4 runs.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2mlbdxho said:

Take two strikes, middle away, look very hittable. Something to slap into right for a knock. Take a wild swing at a pitch down out of the zone, pop up to CF. Oops.

Score 2 in the first. Take 5 innings off. Score again, but surprise, surprise we get outscored again.

I don't blame our pitchers for the last two games. They did about as well as you can expect against the Rockies at home. Not going to win many in Colorado if you only score 3-4 runs.
Gamel also had a poor AB swinging at ball 4 producing a weak grounder to 2nd, to end the inning.

Have to partially disagree with the last point. Nicasio has no business pitching in a close ball game, none!

It’s time to end that failed experiment.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3nylb5q8 said:
sutz":3nylb5q8 said:

Gamel also had a poor AB swinging at ball 4 producing a weak grounder to 2nd, to end the inning.

Have to partially disagree with the last point. Nicasio has no business pitching in a close ball game, none!

Well, I was referencing the starters, mostly. Won't argue about Nicasio.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2qd872ub said:
Sports Hernia":2qd872ub said:
sutz":2qd872ub said:

Well, I was referencing the starters, mostly. Won't argue about Nicasio.
Gotcha, and I agree.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":16d62jp2 said:
sutz":16d62jp2 said:

Nicasio has no business pitching in a close ball game, none!

5 blown saves for Nicasio now. What exactly will it take for Servais and Jerry to finally release him?

And our team is now sliding back to its talent level. We have a run differential of -2. 10th out of 15 in the AL in runs scored, 7th in runs allowed. You can’t sustain a .500 level at that rate, let alone a .600 wildcard contender. Jerry has to make some moves somehow-we need a bat, another starter and another setup man. Not hopeful we have the farm pieces to actually accomplish that, but something has to be done.

3 game lead over Oakland quickly dwindling away. Come on Jerry—figure it out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Idiots like "The Groz" claiming that it was a done deal, in mid July. What a joke, and he gets paid to talk sports.
Not even half way thru the season, and somehow we are locked in? Nope.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Our run differential tells me that we win close games and lose in blowouts.

The bullpen went from one of the best to a liability. Our entire pen used to be reliable, now the only guys that I feel confident with are Diaz, Colome and Pazos. We need Altavilla back and need someone to step up. Please no more Rumbelow, Nicasio or Lawrence.

I'm not worried about the hitting. The team will get Cano back soon. Losing Cruz in the NL park hurt us. Healy is very cold but has shown he can heat up quick. Not sure how I feel about Healy. At times he looks like our best hitter, but he can also look like our worst. He needs to learn plate discipline. Him and Seager's OBP under .300 is inexcusable. I feel like CF is somewhere we can really upgrade. Heredia is great defensively but has been awful at the plate. It's really too bad Haniger, Gamel or Span can't comfortably play that position.

Even I fell into the idea that we were a lock to make the playoffs. I don't think anyone predicted the A's going on this kind of run. Looks like no relaxing for M's fans, should be a battle all the way to the final games. I just hope the A's aren't buyers at the deadline, because they probably got more to offer than us.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
It was a disappointing end to the all star break. The team fell apart and honestly we miss Zunino more then ppl think. His offense is bad but his pitch calling, framing,arm,etc makes up for it.

We need to come out of the gate this weekend and win 2 of 3. Safeco needs to be full to show we have their back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Truth. Flat out have to win this next series. They have done pretty well at beating up on crap teams. But man, when they come up against a good team, they just have not looked good. There's a strange feel about the team right now. It's baseball, it happens, but damn. It's really hard not to go in to the "here we go again" mode. I'm trying :lol:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If any team needed a break it is the Mariners for sure..
Hope we get these injured guys back healthy for a run.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I have a hard time imagining Nicasio staying on this team much longer. He is so awful. He might be Jerry's biggest relief arm whiff. Joaquin Benoit looked like a sure fire hall of famer compared to Nicasio. The other day, Servais was talking about how important results are with his roster. With Festa being called up and making the huge jump from High A, he must be very well regarded.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Atradees":zfl8ishj said:
Segura wins the all star game. Fun.

Or Diaz loses them the game. If Votto just caught that foul ball there would be no Segura home run.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2jtdzefk said:
Atradees":2jtdzefk said:

Or Diaz loses them the game. If Votto just caught that foul ball there would be no Segura home run.
Bregman gets the MVP for his 10th inning solo shot. :roll: Segura had 3 RBI and 2 runs scored on 2 at bats.

Diaz blows the save but gets the win. :laugh:

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":22moxqua said:
Hawk-Lock":22moxqua said:
Atradees":22moxqua said:

Bregman gets the MVP for his 10th inning solo shot. :roll: Segura had 3 RBI and 2 runs scored on 2 at bats.

Diaz blows the save but gets the win. :laugh:
Diaz blew the MVP for Segura is more like it. He shuts the door, Bergman doesn’t hit in the 10th.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Awesome All Star performance by Segura. He deserved the MVP. Great to see 4 M's in there. Back to business and get back on the right track this weekend.