Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Awesome, they managed not to get swept. Hopefully they can build off of yesterdays win. We got three games with the Rangers, if we can't take two from them then we have no business being in the playoffs. I'm hoping we can win our series, and hopefully the Dodgers can at least split with Oakland. Not happy to see Oakland continuing to make additions to their team, they got Mike Fiers off waivers today. He would have been a huge upgrade to our rotation. Even though it feels like we are all but done, the season should still come down to our games against Oakland. On a side note, the Yankees are sliding fast, I doubt we can catch them, but I do think Oakland will pass them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hey they scored 6 runs yesterday. That’s 3 games worth! 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Warren trying to lose us the game, need to come away with a win here.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Servais pulled LeBlanc who was only at 80 pitches on a night he'd cruised through 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and no runs... Now a run is in and the bases are loaded with 1 out. :pukeface:

Overall I like him, he's a young manager and will get better but he's been really bad at managing a pitching staff so far in his young career.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:Servais pulled LeBlanc who was only at 80 pitches on a night he'd cruised through 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and no runs... Now a run is in and the bases are loaded with 1 out. :pukeface:

Overall I like him, he's a young manager and will get better but he's been really bad at managing a pitching staff so far in his young career.

I really don't care for how Servais manages the bullpen, which is pretty much all a baseball manager does. He gives guys way too long of a leash in the pen. I would have pulled Warren after the four pitch walk, if not that then after the double.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Servais pulled LeBlanc who was only at 80 pitches on a night he'd cruised through 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and no runs... Now a run is in and the bases are loaded with 1 out. :pukeface:

I really don't care for how Servais manages the bullpen, which is pretty much all a baseball manager does. He gives guys way too long of a leash in the pen. I would have pulled Warren after the four pitch walk, if not that then after the double.

Problem with that is they didn't have anyone up and throwing so they couldn't. That's part of the reason for the challenge on the hit batter, they had to give time for someone to get loose. All could have been avoided if he just would have let Wade finish out the 7th...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• And now it's a tie game with still only 1 out. Wade doesn't get a win after pitching his azz off. Smh

Terrible management.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:And now it's a tie game with still only 1 out. Wade doesn't get a win after pitching his azz off. Smh

Terrible management.

I’ve always thought he was terrible. Anyone on 710 ESPN and 950 KJR praise him like he is the greatest. I can’t stand him. No small ball, pulls starters way too early, always changing the lineup...
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:And now it's a tie game with still only 1 out. Wade doesn't get a win after pitching his azz off. Smh

Terrible management.

I’ve always thought he was terrible. Anyone on 710 ESPN and 950 KJR praise him like he is the greatest. I can’t stand him. No small ball, pulls starters way too early, always changing the lineup...

That's a little harsh. You have to remember this is his first stint managing at any level of baseball... Small ball is dead in most all of baseball, no one really plays it anymore, especially in the AL. Can't really blame that on Servais as it's more an organizational decision/direction. For his struggles and mistakes you have to admit that his players play hard for him and that they're having fun, playing loose, and seem to be a really close knit team. I'm a firm believer that the ability to build good chemistry like that can help a team win, and even overachieve their talent (as poor chemistry can cause a team to underperform).

All that said, he needs to learn how to manage a pitching staff or he needs to hire someone that can, and have the balls to give them full reins (no overriding from Servais).
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• I wonder if Servais takes too much advice from Manny Acta. No clue why LeBlanc was pulled that early. Good job in the later innings by the pen to keep it tied. Colome has been lights out lately.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Wade averaging 84.7 pitches per start. He was at 82. His career high in innings was 100, he is at 113.

Again it wasnt Servais fault. Blame the players who are paid to get 2 outs without allowing 3 runs. Simple as that.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:Wade averaging 84.7 pitches per start. He was at 82. His career high in innings was 100, he is at 113.

Again it wasnt Servais fault. Blame the players who are paid to get 2 outs without allowing 3 runs. Simple as that.

I disagree. I haven't been one to bash Servais and I actually feel like he's doing a fine job overall. However, pulling LeBlanc when he did was a mistake (one he's made a few times now). They all know guys are going to have to surpass career highs, and they knew that at the trade deadline when they decided not to bring in a starter. Paxton, Gonzales, and LeBlanc are all going to go over their career high in innings and pitches. If they're going to limit guys because of what they haven't done in the past then they needed to trade for a starter. By not trading for a starter you're committed to riding these guys out. Which means getting the most you can out of them.

If it was simply about the pitch count numbers then why even put LeBlanc out there in the 7th at all? Why not just let Warren start that inning fresh? LeBlanc clearly had more in the tank which is why he got put out there in the 7th to begin with. In my opinion, he made a knee jerk reaction when LeBlanc gave up a hit because he doesn't know how to read when guys are done or not yet.

As for the BP guys taking blame, I completely agree on Warren. He was up with plenty of time to loosen up and get ready and deserves some of the blame for getting no one out. Duke got rushed in there though because of poor BP management again. Servais should have been getting someone ready to come in as soon as Warren went in, just in case. Duke wasn't up and throwing until Warren gave up two runs and hit a batter... They then had to burn a challenge to try and give Duke some time in the BP to warm up and brought him in not fully ready...

Anyway, I believe Servais will only get better as he learns on the job and as he becomes more and more familiar with some of these guys. Lets not forget they've had quite a bit of guys moving in and out over the past couple seasons not giving him much time to really learn his guys.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Hey, did you guys notice they ended up winning yesterday? Figured you guys must have missed that part since there was literally not a single mention of it but lots of complaining about poor management.

True story. Healy came up big in the top of the 12th to drive in Haniger and then Diaz got his MLB leading 42nd save to end it. It was pretty exciting.

I'd bet a lot that if Servais had left LeBlanc in after that hit in the 7th and and things went down hill, lots of people would be criticizing him for not pulling LeBlanc soon enough.

Sometimes pitchers/relievers make mistakes or have a bad outing. It doesn't always have to come down to "terrible management" because everything didn't go perfectly. Especially on a night where we won.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Feels like it has been a month since they won :snack:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:Hey, did you guys notice they ended up winning yesterday? Figured you guys must have missed that part since there was literally not a single mention of it but lots of complaining about poor management.

True story. Healy came up big in the top of the 12th to drive in Haniger and then Diaz got his MLB leading 42nd save to end it. It was pretty exciting.

I'd bet a lot that if Servais had left LeBlanc in after that hit in the 7th and and things went down hill, lots of people would be criticizing him for not pulling LeBlanc soon enough.

Sometimes pitchers/relievers make mistakes or have a bad outing. It doesn't always have to come down to "terrible management" because everything didn't go perfectly. Especially on a night where we won.

Yeah, they won. Cool story. The thing is, they did some of the same old stuff. Tons of guys left on base. 1 for 11 or so with RISP. The pitching doesn't bother me half as much as that. When Servais pulled LeBlanc, they should have been up by 3 or 4 runs more than what they were.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    Chapow wrote:Hey, did you guys notice they ended up winning yesterday? Figured you guys must have missed that part since there was literally not a single mention of it but lots of complaining about poor management.

Yeah, they won. Cool story. The thing is, they did some of the same old stuff. Tons of guys left on base. 1 for 11 or so with RISP. The pitching doesn't bother me half as much as that. When Servais pulled LeBlanc, they should have been up by 3 or 4 runs more than what they were.

My bad. Who cares about the win when there's things to complain about. :|

Looks to me like the M's are 14th (out of 30) in team batting avg with RISP in MLB at .250. Sure, it would be nice if they could improve on that, but it's not like (slightly) above average is terrible.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/st ... order/true

Sometimes it seems like people genuinely don't realize that leaving lots of runners on base is very common in baseball.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Sure they ended up winning, against one of the worst teams in baseball... Wow. :2thumbs:

The problem is if they don't fix mistakes like they made last night they won't win those same games against real competition. The goal is to make the playoffs and right now they'd be out... It's foresight, just because they won doesn't mean they are playing well.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• On another note Felix has a siiick curve ball tonight. That swing by Beltre was hilarious!
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Friggin Felix! Get him the heck off this team! I don't know what else Dipoto and friends need to see. It's been obvious for 3 years that he's a shell, and at this point, it's more than obvious he will not adjust. The last thing this team needs is this cull dragging them down during the stretch run. Enough is enough.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• I think this is the last game we see Felix start this season, and could possibly be his last game with the Mariners. I don't see how they can continue to put him out there with how he has looked. He is arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball. You know what is worst than paying a really bad baseball player? Paying him and playing him.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I think this is the last game we see Felix start this season, and could possibly be his last game with the Mariners. I don't see how they can continue to put him out there with how he has looked. He is arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball. You know what is worst than paying a really bad baseball player? Paying him and playing him.

He's an a**hole. He knew what he had to do tonight due to the foolishness of Servais last night, and he's not getting it done, per usual. I'm sick of it. If this isn't his last game as a Mariner, then this regime is absolutely not committed to putting a winning product on the field.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• He started off so well too and then completely off the rails... SMH

Hopefully Erasmo can come in here and be at least slightly below average rather than the worst in baseball.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Walks and errors. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Mariners won't be making the playoffs if they continue playing Felix.
    L.O.B.
    Adopt a rookie: Tre Flowers
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I think this is the last game we see Felix start this season, and could possibly be his last game with the Mariners. I don't see how they can continue to put him out there with how he has looked. He is arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball. You know what is worst than paying a really bad baseball player? Paying him and playing him.

He's an a**hole. He knew what he had to do tonight due to the foolishness of Servais last night, and he's not getting it done, per usual. I'm sick of it. If this isn't his last game as a Mariner, then this regime is absolutely not committed to putting a winning product on the field.

This. Dipoto and Servais are out of defenses and excuses. “DL” or release him or give him the option to retire but get his ass off the 25 man roster. He’s been done for almost 3 years but this bs nostalgia/tribute to former all stars must end. Replace his lazy fat ass with Erasmo or Elias and be done with it.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• It's sad but Felix is done and should retire..It happens to the best
    when you try to hang around and there is nothing left..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• So Kyle Seager just fielded a ground ball and stepped on 3rd to end the inning. Just one problem. There was no runner on first so it wasn't a force play on 3rd. Next hitter got a hit to score the run.

2 errors yesterday
    1 error today (not counting the play I just described because that is a fielders choice and not an error)

Servais will not discipline anyone for mental or physical errors. That will be his failing as a manager.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• We might have gotten worst from the trades. Warren and Duke have been awful since joining the team and the addition of Maybin basically made us send Gamel to the minors.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• The players have mailed it in, why shouldn’t us fans?
    I’m becoming indifferent towards this year’s team.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• KitsapGuy wrote:

I dont care for Ian and the rest of the talking heads on sportsradio in town....

But.....he is 100% spot on. That’s a 9 year old little league brainfart there.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• They are done..............
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Lost consecutive series to two of the worst teams in the league.

Be a miracle if we get one from the 'Stros. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Lost consecutive series to two of the worst teams in the league.

Be a miracle if we get one from the 'Stros. :34853_doh:

Sad but very true. :(

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Once the Houston series wrapped up last week I said we had to go at least 5-2 against Toronto and Texas, we went 2-5. This team just got embarrassed by a couple teams bottom feeder teams. Didn't Oakland just sweep both those teams in the past few weeks? Just shows you where we are and where Oakland is. By next week the race could be over, and I'd be shocked if it wasn't over by the end of August. Have you guys peaked at the schedule, it's basically all playoff teams from now until the end of the month.

This past week was your typical Mariners. I will say it again, we are the Cleveland Browns of baseball. Just pathetic.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• It is a sad sad irony that when the M's are finally ready to contend for a playoff spot after the longest playoff drought in MLB, Felix is broken and showing no signs of being fixable.

https://deadspin.com/the-end-of-felix-h ... in_twitter
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Hawk-Lock wrote:We might have gotten worst from the trades. Warren and Duke have been awful since joining the team and the addition of Maybin basically made us send Gamel to the minors.

The Maybin trade/Gamel option is the most confusing move.

We are in desperate need of offense, so they trade for an ok hitter, and send a better hitter down while keeping the trash hitter on the roster because...defense?
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:We might have gotten worst from the trades. Warren and Duke have been awful since joining the team and the addition of Maybin basically made us send Gamel to the minors.

The Maybin trade/Gamel option is the most confusing move.

We are in desperate need of offense, so they trade for an ok hitter, and send a better hitter down while keeping the trash hitter on the roster because...defense?

Has Duke even recorded an out yet? I don't remember one. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• "According to STATS, Inc., the Mariners are the first team in the live-ball era (since 1920) to have its first four batters of a game hit for the cycle in reverse order."
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• We won whoo! Gonna lose next 3.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:Felix has officially been moved to the bullpen.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2433 ... -struggles

I guess the good news is both Dempsey and probably Ozzie are gone next year, that'll open up two DP slots to go after an even better winger............but not going to help us out for the final stretch of the season this year.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Felix has officially been moved to the bullpen.

I guess the good news is both Dempsey and probably Ozzie are gone next year, that'll open up two DP slots to go after an even better winger............but not going to help us out for the final stretch of the season this year.

Wrong thread, Sarge. :lol:
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Felix has officially been moved to the bullpen.

:greetingsearthling:
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• I'm impressed. At least a split against the 'Stros. Good quality start from Leake, bats stayed alive. Loving that new lineup.

:irishdrinkers:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Erasmo Ramirez starting tomorrow.

Felix available from the pen tonight. They said he wouldn't go in in stress situations, so it doesn't look like he'll be used.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

M's take three from the 'Stros. :shock:

Nice job. Good 5 innings from LeBlanc, catch of the day from Heredia in center with a pick off on 1st for the DP. Managed to string some hits together in the 4th to score 3.

Here they go, building our hopes up again. :irishdrinkers:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Pretty shocking that this team has rebounded from this past eeek by taking three in a row from Houston. We are 3-0 since moving Felix to the pen and changing th lineup. If we miss th playoffs by a few games, we can likely point to Nicasio and Felix. Both guys kept their role on this team for far too long.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hey Ramirez your pitching great... now take a seat! 79 pitches 3 hits and Servais yanks him. Kids in the LLWS are throwing 85 pitches... professional athletes getting pulled after 5 innings 79 pitches is just stupid.
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information