2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3lx2vdor said:
This team makes no sense :lol:
Even though the Stros are missing some very good players, a sweep on the road is impressive.
Their inconsistency is maddening though.

Ever since they rejiggered the batting order, they've been winning games. August is a great time for them to be getting hot.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Some Edwin Diaz stats for you all to munch on...

Saves - 46 of 49 attempts
ERA - 1.98
Strikeouts - 100 (better than two per inning average!)
Hits against - 31
Home runs - 3

That, folks, is as elite a closer as one can realistically hope for.

sutz

Reaction score
Game and a half back of Oakland, with 3 to play this series. Could take over our spot in the standings this week.

:2thumbs:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
sutz":1auwcqww said:
Game and a half back of Oakland, with 3 to play this series. Could take over our spot in the standings this week.

:2thumbs:

Could take over, but could also fall out if we get swept. I'm hoping to take two from them, but we can't afford to get swept. I'm fine falling 2.5 back of them, we can't afford to fall 4.5 back. I like how our rotation sets up for this series with Marco, Pax and Leake. Lets be the ones to cool of Oakland and gain some momentum for Cano's return tomorrow.

We need Marco to bounce back, he's been off his last two starts. I wonder if the innings are starting to catch up to him. Hopefully we can have a big lead because Diaz won't be pitching tonight. Got a feeling with how taxed the bullpen has been that we may see Felix today.

sutz

Reaction score
Marco has been nibbling. He's throwing to avoid contact. Gave up 4 so far. :34853_doh:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I don't care that they just swept Houston, good things never last with this team. How in the world can Servais and Dipoto justify keeping Casey Lawrence around this long? I just keep thinking how Servais was hardcore preaching "this is a results driven league" and so on around the time Festa was called up. Obviously results don't matter to Scott because he keeps proven losers on this squad. I'm sick of his bull hockey, man. Guys like Lawrence, Nicasio (on the DL, I know), Romine, just to name a few, may be experienced, but that doesn't make them good. Open your eyes, Scott!

sutz

Reaction score
Insult to injury. They just ran Pagan out there. :34853_doh:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sutz":vh7c3vnf said:
Insult to injury. They just ran Pagan out there. :34853_doh:
I'm still bummed they gave Pagan away. He was really becoming dominant for the pen last year. Healy is nice, but it sure would be nice to have Pagan this year. Really wish they could've put together a different package to get Healy.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":zhgmxwrz said:
Top 9, down 1. 2 out. 2 on. Cruz at the plate.
IMHO Seattle ties the game if Cruz doesn’t swing at the low breaking ball on the 2nd pitch.
Changed and KILLED the AB.

Almost cameback!

Pax tomorrow.....

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'll agree bringing in Lawrence was dumb. Probably cost us the game now that we scored some late runs. I thought they would bring in Felix. Cano is back tomorrow so hopefully that means no more Andrew Romine

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I really thought we were going to win the game there at the end. Never should have brought Casey Lawrence in. Whenever a game gets out of hand, Casey Lawrence basically comes in for scrub duty. Unfortunately today that cost us, because we were able to put up runs late.

I still don't see how we make the playoffs. We aren't catching the Yanks, and I don't see us passing Houston or Oakland. Oakland is just too hot and have made major upgrades the past month (Fiers, Shawn Kelly, Fernando Rodney, Familia) and even though we swept Houston, they are the defending WS champs and we are the team with the longest playoff drought in MLB. The Yanks are reeling but they have a decent lead on us and will get healthy soon. If I had to guess, we miss the playoffs by a few games and we try this all over again next season. It sucks because if we were in the NL we would be playing for home field. I do have some reason for optimism with Nicasio and Felix all but gone and the return of Cano. Everyone got excited about the sweep against Houston, but people forget that Oakland isn't losing much.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If Pax is out for an extended period of time, you can kiss the season goodbye. He is our most important player to this team. We need Paxton as this team doesn't have anything that is close to an ace. Looks like Felix will probably get his starting job back. Pax looked like he was in a lot of pain. Hopefully he doesn't miss more than a start.

getnasty

Reaction score
Paxton has a chance to be great but he's seems like a giant puss to me. Looks like Felix might be back in the rotation quicker then he thought.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
getnasty":1pfwgtv9 said:
Paxton has a chance to be great but he's seems like a giant puss to me. Looks like Felix might be back in the rotation quicker then he thought.
lol I was thinking the same thing... looked like it hit him in the meat of the forearm. I’ve seen Gordon and Segura get hit by a lot worse and keep playing. Im sure it was precautionary, but he could have at least tried throwing a pitch or two....