2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

sutz

Reaction score
Damn fine win. 2 more saves and Servais has to get his hair cut. :mrgreen:

Nice to see some offense for a change. Nice to see them score in more than 1 or 2 innings in a game.

Kyle was the only 0-fer. :laugh:

A's won, so pressure is on Houston now. :snack:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sucks balls that the mariners pick a year where 90 odd wins doesnt make the play offs.

Feel theres a chance the Astros could have a WS hangover and not get in but the Mariners need to show up on their end of it. A's look unstoppable.

sutz

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":kc5786lr said:
Sucks balls that the mariners pick a year where 90 odd wins doesnt make the play offs.

Feel theres a chance the Astros could have a WS hangover and not get in but the Mariners need to show up on their end of it. A's look unstoppable.
If we could take this series it would be a good step in the right direction. We still have a few games against the A's. :pray:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I still think A's will regress at some point and i hope we are right there when it does.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":252b3rp3 said:
I still think A's will regress at some point and i hope we are right there when it does.

Even if they do somewhat, it won’t matter if we continue to play sub 500 (or 500 for that matter) ball

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":38oww0n6 said:
Shanegotyou11":38oww0n6 said:

Even if they do somewhat, it won’t matter if we continue to play sub 500 (or 500 for that matter) ball

Sure. However i thinj we will get hot again.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1cgvhete said:
Seager is trash unfortunately.
Can someone who is better at player analysis than me shed some light on how much of seager’s struggles these last couple years is due to the shift being used against him and him not being able to adjust vs him just crashing down to earth after a pretty good career start?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3mbw6jup said:
Shanegotyou11":3mbw6jup said:
Can someone who is better at player analysis than me shed some light on how much of seager’s struggles these last couple years is due to the shift being used against him and him not being able to adjust vs him just crashing down to earth after a pretty good career start?

I think it ruined him mentally. And once you start getting in your own head, you are in trouble. He is a pull hitter and they were trying to teach him to go opposite since such a wide hole on the left side of the infield. It didnt work and he slumped and has stayed in the slump all year and now it seems like he isnt having much fun.

The shift has taken away alot of hits from players and especially kyle Seager. They try to pitch him inside and tight hoping he rolls over into the shift. They will change from inside and high to inside and low. Then go outside at times. My issue is his plate discipline this year has been horrible. He decides to swing no matter what it seems before the pitcher has released the ball.

They benched him today for Cano. They can make excuses why but they benched him. You dont rest star players with 35 games left and down 4 games unless hurt or hurting the team. For all i know he may be hurt and we will find out after the year he played with a torn bicep. I doubt it imho.

The shift ruined him mentally.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Other than Diaz, the Mariners don't have the pitching to compete. Oakland and Houston are both in the top 10 in team ERA. http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/team-stats/sp-vw-pitching

The teams they are competing with Boston, NYY, Oak, and Houston have better pitching than the M's. All in the top 10 in team ERA. The M's are 18th in team ERA. Good pitching can overcome hitting. Especially when teams are about even in everything else.

Crizilla

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":37lnqymn said:
Shanegotyou11":37lnqymn said:

It's all mechanics. Some hitters just can't hit the ball the other way. Usually the deciding factors are hip movement and the ability to keep your hands in and "slap" the ball the other way. Timing is also a factor. When batters "pull" the ball they are usually milliseconds too early on the swing. But even then you could pull a pitch for a home run or a base hit. That's why if a pitcher is good at changing speeds it usually results in success assuming his location is on target because the batters don't know what speed is coming. Could be a change up....could be a fast ball. Felix is struggling mainly because his fast ball is dead. Jeter was REALLY good at hitting the ball to the opposite side. But yeah, we are stuck with Seager until 2021 under that 7 year 100 million dollar deal.

M's have only won 2 series since the all star break :(

DJrmb

Reaction score
Good win tonight. Hopefully the bats stick around for a while. This team was built to be an offensive team, not a pitching and defense team. Our pitchers have actually outperformed what was expected of them mostly. If this teams going to win it needs it's offense to carry the team like they planned from the beginning.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
DJrmb":3ah74j4p said:
Good win tonight. Hopefully the bats stick around for a while. This team was built to be an offensive team, not a pitching and defense team. Our pitchers have actually outperformed what was expected of them mostly. If this teams going to win it needs it's offense to carry the team like they planned from the beginning.

Shows what a impact cano is.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
You just can't say enough about Diaz' Cy Young caliber season. 49 saves now, 2.00 era, 108 k in 63 inn, only 33 hits, only 15 BB. Hit 100 last night and is showing no signs of fatigue.

Relievers used to fairly regularly win the Cy Young in the 80s and early 90s but not anymore. A shame because if the M's miss the postseason, the media will forget Diaz' phenomenal year.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Oakland and Houston are battling on Monday for a three game series. Who should the Mariners root for?

I think a sweep would be more idealistic rather than a 2-1 or 1-2 split. Because it gives the Mariners all the chances they need to keep up in the race.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, good quality start from Frenchy LeBlanc. 6 innings, 4 hit, 1 run.

Haniger with a lead off homer in the 1st, but they leave like 12 guys on base, going 1 for 7 with RISP through 8. Twice have bases loaded with less than 2 out and get zip out of it. :34853_doh:

We manage to tie it top 9, though, and then Span splashes one in the pool in right center for the winner.

Sugar hits 50 saves, after a struggle. But still, Servais will get his haircut. :mrgreen:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
raisethe3":2eeoepar said:
Oakland and Houston are battling on Monday for a three game series. Who should the Mariners root for?

I think a sweep would be more idealistic rather than a 2-1 or 1-2 split. Because it gives the Mariners all the chances they need to keep up in the race.

Honestly im hoping for a sweep by Houston. Then hope Ms win tomorrow and take two from SD. That would leave mariners 2 games back with 4 game set in Oakland with 29 games left.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
sutz":tmsud07y said:

Haniger with a lead off homer in the 1st, but they leave like 12 guys on base, going 1 for 7 with RISP through 8. Twice have bases loaded with less than 2 out and get zip out of it. :34853_doh:

We manage to tie it top 9, though, and then Span splashes one in the pool in right center for the winner.

Sugar hits 50 saves, after a struggle. But still, Servais will get his haircut. :mrgreen:

Lets sweep tomorrow. Hope twins upset Oakland. that'd leave us 3 back. Then we go to S D for two game set while Oakland travels to Houston for a 3 game set.

sutz

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":13dj1ds3 said:
sutz":13dj1ds3 said:

Lets sweep tomorrow. Hope twins upset Oakland. that'd leave us 3 back. Then we go to S D for two game set while Oakland travels to Houston for a 3 game set.
Well, I don't worry too much about what Hou or Oak do. We can't control that. Yeah, a sweep would be fantastic, and we should be able to take both against SD. All we can do is win our games and keep pace. With 32 games to go and 5 back, we need all the wins we can scrape together.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
sutz":21nbwk0o said:
Shanegotyou11":21nbwk0o said:
sutz":21nbwk0o said:

Well, I don't worry too much about what Hou or Oak do. We can't control that. Yeah, a sweep would be fantastic, and we should be able to take both against SD. All we can do is win our games and keep pace. With 32 games to go and 5 back, we need all the wins we can scrape together.

Yea i over analyze it. Lol. Its crazy to think unless one of the AL West teams just crash and burn that a 90+ team wont make a WC game let alone the second WC game.

I believe its like 90.5 wins gets you wc #1. 87.5 gets you wc #2.

So on a "normal" year the mariners would have to 11-21 for wc #2 and 14-18 for WC #1.

Smh