Tiger Tiger Woods y’all

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":2a6skl1v said:
Good for the game of golf but there's something about Tiger that makes me want to punch him in the face.

Tiger's never been affable and likable...........like Nicklaus in his heyday, Tiger won fans over with his sheer talent, not his personality. People forget, Nicklaus was also very standoffish and prickly at times.

I actually find Tiger more likable now, because he's been humbled and that's palpable when he's being interviewed. He's far more gracious than he's ever been.

I love what he's doing, there's nothing better in sports than a great comeback story. In a sea of robotic golfers like Spieth, Jordan Thomas and Koepka? This is EXACTLY what the sport needs, some of the older players like Tiger to inject some drama and personality into these majors.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1ux8r1mx said:
Except Tiger has the personality of Flowered Wallpaper.

Still has more personality than most of the young players on the tour now. At least he gets animated, I'm pretty sure Koepka doesn't even have a pulse.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oqo9e5p said:
chris98251":3oqo9e5p said:
Except Tiger has the personality of Flowered Wallpaper.

Still has more personality than most of the young players on the tour now. At least he gets animated, I'm pretty sure Koepka doesn't even have a pulse.

He is not the droid you are looking for.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Tiger is putting on a clinic at the tour championship today. 5 birdies in the first 6 holes.

Improbable but he could win the Fedex Cup.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A friend checked into the tournament a while ago. He is living in the area now. Good guy. May be on tv. He would be the fan. LOL

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Tiger wins the Tour Championship. His first tour win since 2013.

He's back, baby!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tiger climbing all the way back to win yesterday is one of the greatest sporting achievements I've personally ever seen.

To climb 1,173 spots in the world rankings in 8 months, compete again in majors and finally break through yesterday is not just incredible, it's downright poetic.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Testament to his skill and determination. Honestly did not think he would stay with it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He did it!
Win #80 and over the 30 best players on the tour..Amazing to watch and wow that course
is brutal if you leave the fairway..
I remember years ago a bunch of experts would say as he got older and stopped trying to
kill the ball like Rory was doing,that he would be even better with less distance by not going
into the rough so much.He made adjustments to his driver loft,shortened the shaft and it has
made a big difference.On tv there was a comment made that his ball striking is better than it
was when he was in his prime..
I won't say he is back as in he is #1 but damn ..I think he will break Jacks record and if he keeps
working at his game he may get to number #1 again..It's 11 spots away but there won't be another
10 year run of being number 1 though,eventually he is going to have enough of golf and be just a major
player like Jack was doing..

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aaaaaannndd... he face plants once again in the Ryder Cup.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":hrmb47r7 said:
Aaaaaannndd... he face plants once again in the Ryder Cup.
Phil is worse lol..The Ryder Cup?Anyone really watching it?I just can't get into that format.
I have watched the singles a few times.I hear the course is extremely brutal so I may check out
some but not because Tiger is in it..I have had enough of golf for a few months.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dii6j0q said:
getnasty":3dii6j0q said:
Good for the game of golf but there's something about Tiger that makes me want to punch him in the face.

Tiger's never been affable and likable...........like Nicklaus in his heyday, Tiger won fans over with his sheer talent, not his personality. People forget, Nicklaus was also very standoffish and prickly at times.

I actually find Tiger more likable now, because he's been humbled and that's palpable when he's being interviewed. He's far more gracious than he's ever been.

I love what he's doing, there's nothing better in sports than a great comeback story. In a sea of robotic golfers like Spieth, Jordan Thomas and Koepka? This is EXACTLY what the sport needs, some of the older players like Tiger to inject some drama and personality into these majors.

Nicklaus in his day, was continuously compared with Palmer. Palmer was an old school charismatic golfer. Like most golfers prior to Nicklaus he came up hustling at country clubs and etc.. These guys were not schooled-coached golfers with perfect swings and so on. Most were ex-caddys, ball boys, sons of greens keepers, or local pros. Their swings were individualized and sometimes even laughable (by today's standards), but they worked.
Lee Trevino used to hustle by challenging club golfers to contests. He would bet players that he could beat them with a Coke bottle or a sand trap rake and so on. He usually won. The hand eye coordination of these guys was amazing.
I'm in my 70's, but 40 years ago I went to senior event at Tahoe and saw some of these pros from the 50's -60's play and it was amazing. Miller Barber's back swing for example, at the top, the club was vertical, at a right angle with the ground.

The equipment they played with is ridiculous compared to today's. Go find a 1950-60's's forged McGregor iron with a steel shaft and try to hit it. Now imagine playing a round with those clubs and persimmon woods (also steel shaft). NOW imagine scoring under par on courses that were considerably rougher than today's courses.
To say so and so, playing today, is the best golfer ever is preposterous. Comparing eras in any sport is impossible.

BTW, Nicklaus was quite an athlete. As an Ohio prep he was all state honorable mention in basketball and played prep football, tennis and did track and field. (How he did all this and excelled in golf is beyond me.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TreeRon":2hw3kl07 said:
To say so and so, playing today, is the best golfer ever is preposterous. Comparing eras in any sport is impossible.
)

That's why we use tangible measures like trophies, championships, wins and in the case of golf, majors as who we determine as the "greatest."

IMO it was also much easier for Nicklaus to get to 18 majors when he played vs. Tiger or any modern golfer. Nicklaus had maybe 10-15 other golfers to worry about every time he teed it up, Tiger and others have literally 50 golfers that are capable of beating them on any given weekend, and for majors even more.

No way if Nicklaus played today does he get to 18 majors, not with how insanely competitive the sport is now.

That's why Tiger's solid 15 year run of dominating the sport is so impressive to me, and his recent comeback is almost equally impressive.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mn8qkvz said:
TreeRon":2mn8qkvz said:
)

That's why we use tangible measures like trophies, championships, wins and in the case of golf, majors as who we determine as the "greatest."

IMO it was also much easier for Nicklaus to get to 18 majors when he played vs. Tiger or any modern golfer. Nicklaus had maybe 10-15 other golfers to worry about every time he teed it up, Tiger and others have literally 50 golfers that are capable of beating them on any given weekend, and for majors even more.

No way if Nicklaus played today does he get to 18 majors, not with how insanely competitive the sport is now.

That's why Tiger's solid 15 year run of dominating the sport is so impressive to me, and his recent comeback is almost equally impressive.
I think maybe not 16 but over 10 is likely ..You do know he finished 2nd in majors like 23 times
right?That's just off what I remember reading.I think today's golfers have had a major technology boost
with the equipment and ball.Jack has said go back to the ball he used and the courses do not need to be
so long..
As for the era's -I think Jack and Tiger are the best ..No doubt.
In their primes with any equipment because to win like they did it becomes more than what the other
50 golfers have..The next elite golfer still isn't here yet...

TreeRon

Reaction score
Like I said go play a round with 1950's-60's forged MacGregors (or another club of that era) and then imagine 5'7" 140# Ben Hogan bending shots around trees and playing into 40 mph Texas windstorms.

I urge any of you guys that are really into golf, find some of those old clubs and play with them. At least take them to the range. They will be a test of your prowess. Then take those clubs and an old canvas bag and put them in your den or office and add them to your golf "collection".

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
TreeRon":3g0cg1i0 said:
Like I said go play a round with 1950's-60's forged MacGregors (or another club of that era) and then imagine 5'7" 140# Ben Hogan bending shots around trees and playing into 40 mph Texas windstorms.

I urge any of you guys that are really into golf, find some of those old clubs and play with them. At least take them to the range. They will be a test of your prowess. Then take those clubs and an old canvas bag and put them in your den or office and add them to your golf "collection".

You speak from wisdom. I had persimmon woods back in the day. I had mix of clubs back in the day bought from a friend. he Is no longer with us. I used them a lot. It was hard and heavy to play back then...but I was a young pup at my 20s. I am not playing any longer and have a great GREAT set of clubs. But that is life. Press on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2r98lfod said:
Sgt. Largent":2r98lfod said:
TreeRon":2r98lfod said:
)

I think maybe not 16 but over 10 is likely ..You do know he finished 2nd in majors like 23 times
right?That's just off what I remember reading.I think today's golfers have had a major technology boost
with the equipment and ball.Jack has said go back to the ball he used and the courses do not need to be
so long..
As for the era's -I think Jack and Tiger are the best ..No doubt.
In their primes with any equipment because to win like they did it becomes more than what the other
50 golfers have..The next elite golfer still isn't here yet...

Of course today's golfers have a technological boost, but it's not an edge for any one golfer because everyone's using that technology.

I'd still put Nicklaus #1 and Tiger #2, because as I said in my very first sentence, that's the only way we have to compare athletes from different eras, trophies, wins and majors.

My point was only that I don't think Nicklaus would have won 18 majors if he played in Tiger's era, the number of great golfers is far greater now then it was when Nicklaus played.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":2zes7bh9 said:

My dad had a set of Jacks clubs(ones from golf store) I still have one from
that set..The "white fang"putter..I can't use that style but fun to look at.
I have used old woods and irons..When you hit them the feel is not the same
as these oversized ones today but Jack and Arnold were hitting old style balls
over 300 using the old woods..Imagine what they could have done today in their
primes..Yep this why I say any era..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1u0t1e44 said:
TreeRon":1u0t1e44 said:

My dad had a set of Jacks clubs(ones from golf store) I still have one from
that set..The "white fang"putter..I can't use that style but fun to look at.
I have used old woods and irons..When you hit them the feel is not the same
as these oversized ones today but Jack and Arnold were hitting old style balls
over 300 using the old woods..Imagine what they could have done today in their
primes..Yep this why I say any era..

Nicklaus averaged 276 off the tee, and yes he'd be right there with everyone else today, over 300 yards off the tee.

Again, I'm confused with what you guys are saying. If everyone's using the same technology, I don't get the advantage any one golfer has over another. So to say "well if Nicklaus had the ball and equipment he'd be EVEN better!"

Makes no sense, cause Tiger and every other insanely talented golfer today is using the same tech. There is no advantage.